Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - DanielH
Hi,

I am after some advice please.

On Tuesday evening I paid a deposit on a new car on a PCP arrangement. Yesterday the dealer phoned me to say that they couldn't honour the deal due to the fact they combined the subsidized APR along with the discount availible on the car.

They have said that when they have gone to put the deal through it isn't allowing them to combine both.

They have given me two alternative deals on the factory built car I want but at increased cost.

They have said I can have a car that is 'off the system' at the quoted price without the extras I want (so I still lose out.)

They have asked me to pay an extra £300 and they will stand the rest of the loss. They are claiming they will show me just how much they are losing on the car (in excess of £1000)

I have so far been adamant I want the car i've ordered at the quoted price with the APR quoted.

I have a written order for the price but I don't have confirmation of the APR as it was processed the next working day. The dealer says it is in their T&Cs they could return my deposit but this isn't in their interests. I do not want to lose the deal as obviously it is a more competitive price than I should have been given.

Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Cheeky
If this is a new car, then I doubt £300 is a huge issue to a dealership, even in these times of hardship. I would firmly ask them to honour the deal quoted, the deal you are expecting, and if they say no, simply threaten to cancel the order and walk away. I suppose you do risk losing the deposit though.
I would play hard ball here though. For most people, buying a car is second only to buying a house. It's usually a big financial outlay for any private individual, therefore they should be bending over backwards to help not the other way round. Good luck with it all, I hope you reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Edited by Cheeky on 23/07/2009 at 10:25

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - bonzodog
"If this is a new car, then I doubt £300 is a huge issue to a dealership"

How much do you think dealers make out of selling a new car?
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Martin Devon
"If this is a new car then I doubt £300 is a huge issue to
a dealership"
How much do you think dealers make out of selling a new car?

Who cares. If they Chuff up. They chuff up. Business is business and if some oik cocks it up co's he can't read or spell than it ain't the Punters problem. Too many loose ends in business.

MD
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - L'escargot
The first thing you need to do is read all the small print on any documents you've been given, to establish your position.
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - daveyjp
Negotiate around a revenue cost to the dealership.

For example agree to pay the £300, but in exchange you want three services and first MOT free.

If you play too hardball they will cancel the order and refund your deposit. They don't get a sale, but you end up paying more when you do want the car.

Edited by daveyjp on 23/07/2009 at 10:42

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Mr X
Any wonder car dealerships are closing all over the place if they can't work out the cost to the customer. Who's made buying a car such a complex scenario, certainly not the customer.
Negotiate around a revenue cost to the dealership.
For example agree to pay the £300 but in exchange you want three services and
first MOT free.

Agree to servicing by all means but they wont do it properly. It is rare that they actually do and anyone who is in business (for themselves) knows that there are a lot of Shysters in the Motor trade. AND the reason for this IS......Nearly every punter doesn't have clue as to what is going on under the bonnet or under the floorpan ar anything else for that matter. Human nature takes over and the oil don't get changed or the filter/s or the fluid, BUT they will charge you for topping up the washer bottle!!!!

Don't get me started.........MD
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - bell boy
Contrary to what many people think car dealers are human too and do make mistakes.
Read L'escargot"s post enact on it and if it isnt in the small print you may decide to take them to court so that you can try and push through an administration error in your favour.
You wont win and you wont get your deposit back because they will argue they offered an alternative deal and did everything in their power to sell you a car.

Caveat umpar........
At the end of the day they want to sell me the car. I want to buy the car. It isn't in my interests to totally blow the deal as I would still be getting it at a price I'd struggle to beat.

Interestingly they weren't their were other dealers who quoted very similar prices. It is really unbelievable that it isn't totally isolated.

I have proposed they could sort me a deal out on the servicing as it isn't my local dealer and I wouldn't have serviced it there. The problem there would be that the car would probably only require 2 services and be changed before the third.

It is difficult at the end of the day if somebody misquotes where I work we have stood the loss before and made the best of it.

At a loss really as to how to clear it up.
At a loss really as to how to clear it up.

Don't buy a new car. Dealers, they are to man (new sales) a complete bunch of pots. I have yet to meet one that knows his product and they all treat Punters as Kids who should be grateful. Similarly how do airlines double book seats. Aren't computers wonderful things eh?

Morons the lot of them.

MD grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Andrew-T
I remember suffering something similar in the mid-70s. Actually drove the car home, before the sales manager rang to cancel the deal because his salesman hadn't had it authorised (the car was used, as all mine are). I just cancelled everything and said I would buy elsewhere in future - which I suppose I did, since I have rarely bought from the same place twice...
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Optimist
I agree with bb. It's just human error which it sounds as though the dealer is trying to blame on some system: the figures wouldn't go through.

The "loss" idea is a bit of a nonsense since dealers operate with all sorts of promotions from manufacturers which make the margin on an individual car less important.

If the dealer principal isn't yet involved, speak to him or her.

Edited by Optimist on 23/07/2009 at 11:19

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - nortones2
Unless the contract is void by the sellers mistake, it is enforceable. If the contract is held to be void, no contract exists. The deposit has to be returned. If negotiation does not give a satisfactory outcome to both parties, legal advice may be needed. "Terms and conditions" in a consumer contract may or may not be enforceable: again legal advice may be needed. This comment is not legal advice, BTW:)
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - commerdriver
Caveat umpar........

What's the tuba player got to do with it?
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Andrew-T
Car dealers are human too and do make mistakes..

Caveat umpar....

Indeed so. Sometimes they even try to write Latin. Punters are Emptor in Latin, BB :-)
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Bill Payer
The dealer says it is in their T&Cs they could return my deposit

I always find this bit outrageous - these contracts are totally weighted in the dealers favour. If you cancelled you would lose your deposit.
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - the swiss tony
I always find this bit outrageous - these contracts are totally weighted in the dealers
favour. If you cancelled you would lose your deposit.

Why outrageous?
if the buyer cancels what has he lost (except deposit?) his time doing the deal.. thats about it.
But... the dealer loses:
1/ his time, which could have been used actually selling a car. thus making money, not losing some.
2/ the car (if in stock) is unsellable to other prospects, so he could be turning other sales away.
3/ if the car is special order, it may be in an unusual spec, and harder to sell.
4/ the costs in admin are considerable, someone has to fund those costs.

A dealer I once worked for took an order for a car, this one was unique.
the customer demanded a large engine in a convertible which wasn't listed as an option - we managed to talk the manufacturer into building it as a one off.
it also was painted on an old colour, with a unique wood/leather combination.
whilst in production, the customer filed to bankruptcy.......
we kept the deposit, and it took 18 months, and a huge lose to sell that car........

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Mr X
If buyer cancels because they've changed their mind on a whim or decided on going some where else, then by all means keep the deposit . If, on the other hand buyer cancels because the blue car they wanted is now red or the price they have agreed has gone up then they should have their deposit back.

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - ifithelps
The original deal is history, they aint gonna do it, so forget it.

But what you should be able to do is negotiate a better price than would normally be on offer.

There's no point in walking away - with your deposit - and paying more elsewhere.
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - BobbyG
Daniel, if I am reading your post correctly, and the dealer is not lying, then the dealer is saying he is losing money on this deal.
But he is still illing to go through on it if you stump up £300 but he is still losing money?

Does you paying the £300 still make it a much better deal than anyone else has offered? If so I think you need to go with it, but reluctantly, and see if dealer does anything else. I hear what you say about servicing not any good to you due to distance, what about maybe the "Supaguard" that they normally offer for £300 but is widely accepted that it only costs a dealer a fraction of that to do?

Or maybe a dealer fit option - mudflaps, mats, reversing sensors etc?
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Mapmaker
Split the difference with them and get them to fit mudflaps. (Which will cost them 10p, but they sell for £500.)

Or GAP insurance. Or something similarly worthless.
Why outrageous?

..because the dealer can cancel with no penalty for whatever reason (or non-reason) they like. That's unfair (I mean unfair in a legal sense, not in a stamp-your-foot sense).
- we managed to talk the manufacturer into building it as a one off.

Sorry, but more fool you (or your employer). In my business anything "custom" is paid for upfront.
>> Why outrageous?
..because the dealer can cancel with no penalty for whatever reason
Sorry but more fool you (or your employer). In my business anything "custom" is paid
for upfront.

>>
(Bangs head on wall......)

Dealer will not cancel unless they HAVE to.... it makes no sense to cancel a definite order, unless the order cannot be fulfilled.

If dealers asked for a FULL payment upon ordering a car, Im sure there would be frenzied posting in here!

'Can you beleive it? I want to order a car, with a 'few extras' and the nasty people at the dealer DEMAND I pay ALL the price of the car now!
AND they wont give me a definite delivery date!
WHY should i give them £40000 just for them to put in their bank???????........................'
Dealer will not cancel unless they HAVE to.... it makes no sense to cancel a
definite order unless the order cannot be fulfilled.

I've seen it mentioned several times that dealers have cancelled orders as the salesman "didn't realise" that the car had already been sold to someone else. Oh, and "we've got a similar car but it's a few hundred pounds more."
I want to order a car with a 'few extras'

>>
Do me a favour. You said the car was a one-off, with a unique engine for the model, a special colour and a unique interior. That's not a "few extras."
Do me a favour. You said the car was a one-off with a unique engine
for the model a special colour and a unique interior. That's not a "few extras."

Exactly...I did.

BUT just how many times have we seen posts in here, that as they develop, the truth slowly comes out?

The point Im trying to make, is just where does the line get drawn?
Mapmaker has said 'Bang away if you will; anybody who does a special order and doesn't ask for sufficient deposit to cover their potential loss is very foolish.'

with a vehicle such as I described 100% would be needed to cover the potential loss.
But... who would be willing to put down 100% ????

dealers try to trust the customer, and get shafted. they don't trust the customer, and get slagged off.... they really can't win, can they?

dealers try to trust the customer and get shafted. they don't trust the customer and
get slagged off.... they really can't win can they?

Probably not, but better to be slagged off than shafted!

I thought it was interesting that Ling Valentine (of Ling Cars) said in a post on a Mercedes forum recently that some of the dealers she orders through won't accept orders for over-optioned cars in case they get stuck with them.
>> >> Why outrageous?
>> ..because the dealer can cancel with no penalty for whatever reason
>> Sorry but more fool you (or your employer). In my business anything "custom" is
paid
>> for upfront.
>>
(Bangs head on wall......)

Bang away if you will; anybody who does a special order and doesn't ask for sufficient deposit to cover their potential loss is very foolish.
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Jonathan {p}
Surely for one off orders like this the dealer could purchase insurance and charge it to the purchaser in case of non fulfilment of the order
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - niceguyeddy
What car is it ?

Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - oldnotbold
"Or GAP insurance. Or something similarly worthless."

Get it done for free with that never-have-to-wash-it-again polish, and Scotchbrite the upholstery, I'd say. Think of the increased value when you sell it....
The problem with going to another dealer would be that it is very likely for them to have the same problems when they 'process the order'!

So I think I do really want to fix it with the current dealer.

£300 would still be a competitive price for the car.

I already have mats thrown in.

The dealer mentioned supaguard. I don't view it as a product that is worthwhile though... if it is what I think it is? Paintwork protection?

The car for the person who asked is a Renault Clio Sport 200.

I was considering mentioning contacting the directors of franchise.
Gap is in too at a reduced price (dealer claims at what it costs them)
gap insurance is a must have then
seems to me you have everything thrown in but the office cat
have you asked for tiddles?
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - ForumNeedsModerating
My personal view - I think you're wringing the neck out of this already. If it's a good deal & will be hard to better - it seems they made a genuine mistake & other dealers won't offer this.

Save the hassle of finding another car - if you push it too much they might just pull out themselves.
>>I already have mats thrown in

You could ask for them to be placed gently in the correct position then, by way of upgrade.
Haha Mapmaker!
Dealer mis-quoted & wants to change deal after dep - Stuartli
Could it be that the dealership is going to lose out on the finance commission it would earn (subsidised APR plus discount)?

You could ask for upgraded mats - perhaps the Megane r26r?

Edited by Stuartli on 23/07/2009 at 16:31