Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/8158047.stm

In my area the saving of power is done by replacing illuminated bollards with flat spring loaded non-illuminated versions. :-)
Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - grumpyscot
We have the new style flat, reflective keep left signs and have to say they're more effective than the old style illuminated ones. At least there are no bulbs to replace.

But dimming street lamps? Maybe OK in 40/50mph zones and motorways, but I'd disagree in some 30mph areas where lots of people still drive on sidelights
Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - Mr X
I see no problem with turning the lights out from midnight to 5am. It's not as if the streets are full of pedestrians dodging cars during those hours. Any one who can't see to drive by their headlights shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - daveyjp
Once again Mr X presents life through his pair of tunnel vision glasses.

There's more to this than considering drivers and cars.

What is one of the pieces of advice coming from crime prevention experts and police architectural liason officers to anyone wanting to reduce theft and burglary? Ensure areas around premises are well lit - what's the point if there are no street lights?

You only have to watch the Traffic Cops programmes to see there are more people about in the middle of the night than you would think and most of them aren't walking to or from work or getting some exercise.
Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - Mr X
'You only have to watch the Traffic Cops programmes to see there are more people about in the middle of the night than you would think and most of them aren't walking to or from work or getting some exercise.'
I learnt the hard way. Having security lighting at the front of my property allowed them to remove all the light protectors from a Discovery, something they would have found difficult in the dark due to the tiny screws.

As for tunnel vision glasses, any one who thinks the endless cop programmes beamed in to the idiot box in the corner of their living rooms reflexs real life is clearly living in a very dark tunnel.

Despite the millions of lights burning through the night in the UK, our crime rate ( burgalry, theft and offences against the person ) continues to climb year in, year out.

Edited by Mr X on 20/07/2009 at 09:57

Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - Hamsafar
I agree with Mr X, and anyone who has seen the Police programmes will see that light doesn't stop crime, it merely allows it to be seen more clearly.

In fact, when I used to work outdoors at night in the countryside, you could see more clearly with no lights at all as you could see everything evenly from horizon to horizon using the moon and dusk/dawn light, as soon as you turned lights on, you could only see that pool of light.

The lights around here are being replaced with lower wattage white ones on side roads and lower wattage but more of them on A roads. The latter of which have antenna instead of photocells to turn them on and off and they are turned on a fair bit later and off sooner.

Edited by Hamsafar on 20/07/2009 at 10:16

Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - GroovyMucker
Good idea.

I suspect it's difficult to tell they're dimmer than normal.

Like with some drivers.
Durham's dimming street lights. Any feedback? - Blue {P}
Waste of time, there's soooo much spare capacity in the national grid over night that it won't do anyone any favours to reduce consumption further.

It may save the council some money but ultimately as the generators won't save much/anything by trying to lower output further we may ultimately end up seeing it reflected in even higher prices for our daytime electricity to make up for the shortfall in money from street lighting, if it goes national of course.