Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - R75
tinyurl.com/m4h6ea (links to bbc news)

Finally some sense taking place!!
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - Falkirk Bairn
There is no clamping in Scotland by Private Companies - Clamping is strictly limited to Police & Councils.

30+ Years ago private clamping was likened to extortion in the courts and therefore illegal.
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - nortones2
Like a lot of Scottish arrangements (property etc) we could do with adopting! Case law made such matters illegal. Unfortunately it applies north of the border only. I understand because of a significant difference in the interpretation of theft. Black v Carmichael 1992 (The Times June 25, 1992: 1992 SCCR 709)
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - gordonbennet
This cheered me up before resuming work on Monday.

I'm quite sure if someone important eg politician or celebrity fell prey to these gangsters we'd have seen a clampdown (no pun) on their blackmail routine's a long time ago.

Hell of a crack..;)
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - daveyjp
I'm quite sure if someone important eg politician or celebrity fell prey to these gangsters
we'd have seen a clampdown (no pun) on their blackmail routine's a long time ago.

They have been, unfortunately no significant action up to press:

tinyurl.com/lklsvg

Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - gordonbennet
They have been unfortunately no significant action up to press:
tinyurl.com/lklsvg

Thanks for that, however the fine was £75 unless i've read that wrong, unfortunately the ticket had fallen down and the 'operative' added the 'fine'...in this case the victim should have been able to recoup the cost on appeal using the ticket as evidence, but probably no fair appeals process with cowboy operators.

Many of these dodgy clamper's extort around £400 from unsuspecting people....not saying either is right.

I read a thread on pepipoo where woman was turning her car round and was approached by another woman, whilst the distraction took place the clamp was attached by an accomplace..'the recovery vehicle'summoned instantly and the victim had to stump up around £400 (cash of course) to stop her car being removed...criminal scum being my only description for them.
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - Harleyman
I was in a car park the other day, couldn't help noticing that the clamping company's address was in Scotland.

Happy to be corrected, but if clamping is illegal in Scotland surely so is running a clamping company there, no matter where it operates?

Or is it revenge for the Highland clearances?

...... dashes out to shed and rummages for tin hat. ;-)

Edited by Harleyman on 19/07/2009 at 22:30

Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - grumpyscot
>> Happy to be corrected but if clamping is illegal in Scotland surely so is running
a clamping company there no matter where it operates?

The Royal Bank and HBOS both had their head offices in Scotland - didn't stop them ripping off everyone in England who had shares with them.

The argument, though, could suggest that the clamping contract of someone who is clamped in England, is with a Scottish company so the contract could be construed as coming under Scots Law, in which case the person in England could legally challenge it in a Scottish Court, where, of course, the clamper would be considered as tring to commit an illegal act.

A minefield which maybe some Scottish Law expert could perhaps clarify?????
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - Roly93
There is no clamping in Scotland by Private Companies - Clamping is strictly limited to
Police & Councils.
30+ Years ago private clamping was likened to extortion in the courts and therefore illegal.

It would seem that anyone in a public position in England that shows any initiative or commonsense must have been exiled to Scotland then !
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - Old Navy
It would seem that anyone in a public position in England that shows any initiative
or commonsense must have been exiled to Scotland then !

>>
Yes, The Scots are not daft, they swapped them for Brown and Co.
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - tobyjug
Is the WPC working undercover, I see she had her hat on back-to-front.
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - rtj70
They must have arrested them using the other officers ;-)
Car clampers get a taste of their own..... - Martin Devon
National Parking Control!! = NPC....................NCP anybody?

MD