Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - ricohman
I cant decide which to buy between these 2.

BMW E46 323i or Mitsubishi Galant V6-24 both are auto's and year 2000 models.

I like the look of both cars but the Mitsi is cheaper than the Beemer.

Enyone got advice or which do you prefer.

Edited by rtj70 on 14/07/2009 at 12:54

Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - MVP
For a 9 year old car, condition is a lot more important than the make.

The Galant is a great car IMO, and is a bit different from the normal chav BMW

MVP
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - gordonbennet
I ilke the Mitsi saloons too, unfortunately they know how to charge for parts and i'm not aware of a GSF/Eurocarparts for Mitsubishi.

Maybe pricing up a few typical parts like discs and pads, a headlamp, water pump, rad wheel bearing etc might be a couple of hours well spent.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - perro
Either of these critters could potentially cost you shed loads of wedge if they go wrong comrade.
Go for the one that checks out ok Re: service history/mileage/condition/amount of previous owners.
Have you actually driven them? - both nice cars.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - Pezzer
Might be worth checking out the cost of some replacement parts on the Mitsubishi. Whilst they are normally very reliable parts can be very expensive (SWMBO used to have an old Spacewagon).

.......beaten to it by gb !

Edited by Pezzer on 14/07/2009 at 14:57

That was bothering me the price of parts, and reliability, with the BMW you have ECP & other pattern part stockists, I think Mitsubishi parts will be hard to get might have to go through main dealer same as we did when we had a Hyundia Coupe.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - the_rover
When my Mum's R-Reg Galant estate got bumped from behind, we needed a new rear bumper and lights etc. Our local indy in Colchester had no problems getting parts and sorting it out for not a lot of cash - although I think the bumper may have come from a breakers.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - stunorthants26
Buying any car this age can mean spending on a few parts, just choose a good example of whichever car your gut tells you to buy.
Which one is the most reliable, must be people on here that have had owned one or the other.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - Rover P6B
BMWs are extremely reliable (my parents have now had 3, all fantastic). Just watch the autoboxes - see HJ's warning re fluid changing. Go for a manual if possible. Mitsis tend to be reliable, but cabin materials are cheap and shiny (urgh).
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - Rover P6B
Go for the BMW, definitely. The BMW has a fantastic RWD platform (can't really call it a chassis), they're utterly indestructible and the I6 engine is a delight. Just make sure you have a good independent local garage - they usually sell parts cheaper than the main dealer (although, as a long-standing customer of my local dealer, they give me a permanent parts and labour discount, so I pay very little there anyway). I can't speak for the Mitsi's engine (Jap V6s tend to be good and I have a friend with a 3.0L Shogun which pulls like a train), but it's FWD, it's not so well-built (cheaper materials, for a start) and the dealerships are few and far between when you need parts (though an independent may be able to help).
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - stunorthants26
Build quality and materials quality are not the same thing. The Mitsu might be cheaper inside ( although its very comfy ) but its screwed together properly.
Choosing between BMW and Mitsubishi 4 door - LikedDrivingOnce
Build quality and materials quality are not the same thing.

That is a good point and one that many people (starting with me) keep forgetting.

That said - the build quality of both these cars is very good, and if one does have an edge over the other then it will only be slight.