Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - zookeeper
hi room, i would be grateful for any advise regarding moving stuff, i have a small hatchback and i need to move a bed

the longest parts are the rails 2 metres in all but they will stick out the back of the car, same goes for the mattress ...is it ok to have the items dangling out of the back and have the tailgate roped down or am i looking at some points on my licence? ive only got to go about 10 miles on minor roads and i dont want to splash out on hiring a van for half a day ...thanks...zoo

Edited by Pugugly on 06/07/2009 at 21:53

moving stuff - Old Navy
You could try a makeshift roof bar setup. You need two rolls of something soft (towels or foam rubber) across the roof, place the 2 metre rails lengthwise on this to support the mattress, open your windows and tie the lot down securely. Dont know if it is legal but it should work.

Edited by Old Navy on 06/07/2009 at 20:37

moving stuff - Dynamic Dave
Just do what a lot of builders and plumbers do with their ladders / pipes. Tie a light coloured rag to the bit that's sticking out the end.
moving stuff - Aretas
And be aware that an open tailgate can suck exhaust fumes into the car.
moving stuff - Harleyman
Regarding the legal side; not sure what the criteria is for cars, but on a commercial vehicle you are allowed one metre of overhang before you need any sort of marker at all; though I consider it good common sense to use one anyway.

I would recommend using a couple of bungee cords, or small ratchet straps if you have them; even if the load is well jammed in it looks better if you've got some sort of restraint and you will attract less attention form the BiB.

Edit; you don't mention what sort of car you are using, but be aware that if your rear number plate is on the tailgate it won't be visible from behind with the latter open, and that might get you pulled over before anything else. Piece of card with number on will suffice; as above shows you're not totally daft!

Edited by Harleyman on 06/07/2009 at 21:52

moving stuff - bell boy
keep a front window open so as said the fumes dont kill you but stay out
just make sure everything is tied down safely and anyone behind can see your lights and number plate
might be a good idea to use hand signals too as they used to be taught,that should get other drivers scratching their heads and thinking you are a silly italian so will keep their distance

bon voyage...........
moving stuff - RickyBoy
...aye, but it's not as though he's trying to 'top himself' is it Aretas?

I moved a couple of sofas for my lad last week around the back streets of Brighton with the Octavia hatch in the halfway-open position and it did me(us) no harm, although the effect could have been neutralised by all of that splendid sea-air?

Interesting point about it possibly invalidating insurance? I've never ever given that a second thought and have had things like long pieces of timber hanging out of my rear quite often over the years, but have always tied a hi-viz jacket to the end of offending article to alert folk.

First time for everything I guess?...
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - slowdown avenue
ive moved beds with back door just tied down. just take it easy. recently had 5foot bed and mattress in an agila and shut the door. you could use a ladder rack and tie the bed to that or put ladders on and tie to those. ive done all these things no prob
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - deepwith
Can you do the move in two trips?
If you can, then you should be able to fold the mattress from the back foot well over the seat and into the boot quite easily (have done this in a old cinquecento). You will be able to get other shorter bits in the passenger well and tucked about.
For the second trip, try moving the seats as flat as they go and putting the rails in diagonally, or running from the back to the front on the passenger side and out of the window (parallel with the car NOT sticking out, obviously).
Alternatively for the rails, if you know any keen fishermen they might have the kit to help you. We have a couple of magnetic pads with straps on them so fishing rods can be carried on the roof of a car between bothy, river and loch, without being taken down.

Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - jc2
To help keep the fumes out,put the heater fan upto it's highest setting.
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - Mr X
You may very well find your insurance invalidated should you be involved in an accident whilst moving this item.
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - FotheringtonThomas
You may very well find your insurance invalidated should you be involved in an accident
whilst moving this item.

Maybe if they found you'd been sleeping in it.
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - FotheringtonThomas
I'm surprised you can't get 2m lengths in your car - what is it?

It'll be fine - keep the windows open to avoid the stink, position the rails so you won't be impaled if rear-ended, tie a red cloth to any sticky-out bits, make sure nothing can fall out, mind your paintwork where you tie things down, and ensure your indicators/number-plate are all properly visible. I wouldn't carry stuff sticking out of a side window, which I've seen people doing. Don't fold the mattress in half, it'll be shagged if you do.
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - zookeeper
thanks everyone for your help... il let you you how it goes ...thanks again ... zoo
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - Dave_TD
keep a front window open so as said the fumes dont kill you

No, no, no, no, no! Keep all the windows CLOSED and the heater fan on, surely?

Dave TD
Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - Engineer Andy

Disregard the post of johnnysmauel - it is just disguised canned pork products.

Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - FP

Yes - the revival of a years-old thread usually means only one thing...

Moving a bed in a small hatchback. - Gerry Sanderson

Sorry we have been sleeping on this one

dvd