ANPR-Agree or disagree? - shadyarea
I dont have a problem with it, if you have nothing to hide
and comply with the law.

tinyurl.com/n62tga

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Mr X
Disagree. It is being abused.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Pizza man
I got pulled in my panda 2 months after i bought it and taxed it for using a SORN'd car once i said look at the disc the police man said "sorry the computer hasn't updated yet" does that mean it won't catch someone who's cancelled there insurance for 8 weeks too?
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - oldnotbold
It would be interesting to see what it costs per conviction.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't really object to some of my information being held in some Government information store, somewhere. What bothers me is whether it is secure or not (probably not), is it being sold to raise money for the Government (DVLA sell it) and to what alternative use might it be put. I can't really see the need to record everyone's car, ferry and aircraft flights and store the info for any length of time. If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear - maybe. If the Governemnt loses or sells your data, and it falls into the wrong hands, you've got plenty to worry about and probably no legal comeback!
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Ravenger
In my local area the council have recently installed an ANPR system, supposedly for traffic management. This was done without fanfare or consultation - mysterious cameras suddenly appeared at key locations around the area.

Local drivers contacted the council to check how the data was being handled, and what their procedures are to conform to the data protection act and it turns out the council has not decided how long they're keeping the data for, and didn't even consider any privacy or data protection issues when they implemented the system. The council also confirmed that the data would be available to the police.

However due to the representations of the drivers, local councillors managed to get a motion passed to consider the privacy aspects of the system, so it pays to make a fuss!

It seems there's no law or even guidelines regarding ANPR systems, and organisations such as the police and local government are introducing these systems just because they can, which is contributing to our sleepwalking into a police state.

I'm in favour of targeted ANPR, where the police can stop drivers there and then for specific offences (providing that if they get it wrong then the wrongfully accused gets compensation), but I'm totally against use of ANPR to generate a database of car movements which has civil liberty and privacy issues.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - diddy1234
I had wondered about peoples car insurance running out at say 10am and the owner renews their insurance that day, does the ANPR know this update or is the driver pulled over and checked ?
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Westpig
I think it's important to know fully what the technology is doing with the info from the nationwide cameras.

If anyone in any kind of minor officialdom could tap in to ANPR type information at will, with no checks or safeguards... and check to see where a specific person had been, in their car, for say the last 12 months, then that would indeed be concerning

if however, information via ANPR on a car that otherwise had no 'markers' on it, was not available until a certain amount of authority and 'hoops' were gone through, so that in reality it was only ever used for noticeable crime reasons etc....then i wouldn't have a problem with it.

There's a difference between a fairly passive 'note' of a vehicle on an ANPR as it passes..and nothing further is done with that info because there's no need to and it drops off a file eventually (although could be looked at later if the reason was deemed important enough)*...and cars that set off ANPR for a specific reason via a 'marker' system and are then checked in to further.

e.g. the difference between Joe Average pootling off on his holidays and driving past an ANPR camera that merely notes his registration number, no one ever bothers looking at it and eventually it drops off the system...and Joe Thief driving a stolen car, who 'pings' an ANPR camera i.e. sets off an alarm, because the car is shown as stolen and it is then actively investigated/pursued or whatever

* in reality it could only be used for 'important' reasons, because there simply isn't enough staff available to monitor it all.

the answer is in decent safeguards, so that you don't get the same 'slippage' as there has been with RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act), so that local councils use suerveillance on people for things like school catchment areas or not filling their bin properly...whereas the legislation was designed for police surveillance etc.

Another example of 'slippage'...and back to motoring... is that of the DVLA letting all and sundry have our registration details for a small fee...

our Govt should have a tight handle on this sort of thing..for some reason they couldn't care less

Edited by Westpig on 29/06/2009 at 14:15

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - MikeTorque
As long as procedures/safeguards are in place and followed accordingly then ANPR is a useful tool for catching insurance, VED & MOT cheats, stolen vehicles etc.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Dwight Van Driver
Road A is not covered by ANPR so everybody uses it without a record. Nastyman kills someone, puts the body in the rear of his ca,r takes it to Road A and disposes of it in a ditch and covers over. Three months later the body is discovered.

A very uphill task for Plod to discover the culprit.

Now had there been ANPR, Post mortem and Forensic would have come up with a time of death and disposal to within 48 hours or thereabouts. Tap into the ANPR record as to what passed the device and strong line of enquiry established - not available without device.

Nastman's days numbered.

As I understand particularly in the drugs field they are swapping cars, number plates etc but they cannot escape that record when passing APNR thereby setting up a trail.

Remember the fuss when CCTV came to the High Street. Does anybody feel their awareness nowadays?

It's twee I know but if you have nothing to hide and behave yourself it won't affect you.
As long as thses records are not made public to everybody willy nilly then it is Ok with me.

dvd
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - commerdriver
As long as these records are not made public to everybody willy nilly then it
is Ok with me.

Totally agree dvd
Question is how much do we trust government or pseudo government organisations to use it only in specific circumstances
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Lud
Missed another chance to go in daughter's fiance's tweaked, very pretty pearlescent white Skyline GTR yesterday in the country. He took its cover off and washed it, then realised the road fund licence was out of date. He was going to take it for a pootle round the local roads anyway, but I reminded him that all police cars have ANPR now and they would certainly point the camera at the Skyline if they saw it. So I will have to wait until he comes back from the Nurburgring next week.

The car is very pretty indeed although not concours. It's had a couple of big bangs, one caused by a single-seater at Castle Combe, so the paint doesn't match exactly, concours-style. It's a real car that gets used. Synchro going on third and fourth, he says, but he means to get a new gear set with lower ratios on 1, 2 and 3, probably straight cut. Going to be noisy but who cares?

It's got a huge six-inch exhaust that goes all the way forward to the downpipe too, not just from the back box to look barry and make a booming noise. Less back pressure keeps the turbos spinning nicely, he says.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - commerdriver
Has he got it SORNed Lud? Just as likely to get a letter from the nice man at DVLA for that.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Andy P
Just a thought - if they have enough of them "they" won't need satellites to track your movements.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - L'escargot
It's got a huge six-inch exhaust that goes all the way forward to the downpipe
too ...........

Without hearing it, I imagine it's just the sort of antisocial car (and owner) I hate to see and hear on the road. In the interests of the general population, road-going cars should be well silenced.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/06/2009 at 16:17

;oP
'Remember the fuss when CCTV came to the High Street. Does anybody feel their awareness nowadays?.. and are our High Streets any safer. Answer NO.

As for the system of ' markers " You often give the bloke down the road a lift to work and he reciprocates. What you don't know is that he is a kiddie fiddler, drug dealer, prolific burglar.
He is seen in your car by plod. A marker goes on your reg pointing out that the owner of your vehicle, i.e YOU, are associating with such type and might be worth a check yourself. Penny doesn't drop till you realise that you have been stopped 3 or 4 times over the last couple of months.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - tack
Well Mr X, that is how intelligence works to a certain extent. However, that sort of initial information would be subject to further analysis and cross checking using other intelligence sources (i.e. PNC, local intelligence records etc) If you had any form of intelligence against you in respect of kiddie fiddling (as you quaintly put it) you would find your car on PNC (probably) and thereby discoverable via ANPR.

Intelligence records are expunged; depending on the 5x5x5 matrix, on a regular basis. In the bad old days of card indexes, that sort of info' would stay with you for ever. Now, intelligence databases are set to delete records meeting certain criteria; which is comforting.

I know this because it was my business to know and to do. I administered such a system and set the parameters according to guidelines laid down. (but I am probably a part of the conspiracy, I expect)

So DNA taken off people who are innocent ( either proven in courts or not charged ) and kept but the sort of information markers put on the ANPR system are checked, revised and removed ? Seems a bit odd that.

Some one did once post on here how long the plate reading remained on the ANPR system but I can't remember how long that was if any one would care to refresh that bit of info.
I must admit, I do see the whole ANPR system in this country as being very like the room full of files and index cards the Stasi used to operate until 1989.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - tack
ANPR relies on:

Lost/Stolen, no insurance/RFL or other actionable marker on PNC to trigger the ding ding ding noise the operator needs to have his/her attention drawn to it. In addition, there is another marker system which is "off PNC" called "hot list" which might be a local initiative, i.e. known taxi tout VRM's.

These PNC/Hot Lists naturally rely on timely, accurate and relevant intelligence. Obviously, just like your life at home, things do get forgotten and items may not be removed as quickly as they should. This happens on a minority of occasions and is due to poor processes.

If you are a taxi tout, I would want to conduct "back office" searches of the historical data to see when you came into town, where you came into town, where you drove in town and when/where you left. This would enable me to more effectively resource an operation to target these people who are often rapists and violent criminals.

If you were a paedo'' and you were seen as a passenger in a car, or driving one, I would conduct a search to see if you were out and about in the car at school start/finish times, in the locality of a school or whatever. It is a useful investigative tool. If a local bobby saw a paedo in someones car as a passenger, I would hope he would submit an intelligence report. That is what he is paid to do. That is what we would want him to do. However, I would also expect that initial intelligence to be further reviewed by trained and skilled intelligence officers, who would conduct necessary enquiries to establish the relevance and/or importance of the information.

Kipling (Rudyard, not the bloke who made exceedingly good cakes) penned the following "I keep six honest serving men (They taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When, And How and Where and Who" The poem should be etched on the brain of every intelligence officer.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - bonzodog
Mr X - 'Remember the fuss when CCTV came to the High Street. Does anybody feel their awareness nowadays?.. and are our High Streets any safer. Answer NO

Very cutely worded, to generate the answer you want. The question should be - Are our High Streets any safer with CCTV than they would be without CCTV? - I would suggest YES
Having seen the pathetic, un recognisable feature less images shown to us on Crime Watch every month along with the plea ' do you know who this is ", we clearly shouldn't worry about being watched 24/7. What evidence to you bring to the table to support these cameras making us safer ?
What evidence to you bring to the table to support these cameras making us safer ?

I'm willing to bring some.

Local councils administer the CCTV cameras... and with a 'partnership' approach share working practices with the police, so they'll often have a police radio in their control room and access to direct dial emergency phone lines etc. They are an invaluable crime fighting and prevention tool. Over the years, as the operators have got better, they have become exceptionally professional.

i'm not always a fan of the local council(s) as they can be bureacratic and slow to react. This is not true of the CCTV control rooms.

-They can follow cars, continually from camera to camera, when a crime has been committed, so the police control room can direct cars to it (and that evidence will be recorded), they rarely have to be asked to do so, they monitor the radio and react accordingly...and believe me, following a car via cameras is not that easy.
-They now notice 'oiks', through experience, as a police officer would and will concentrate on them, as violence or similar builds up;
-they can notice such crimes as ATM fraud and alert police before anyone has even been scammed.
-pub fights and evidence for serious assaults
-how serious is the car accident call that's come through
-how bad is the fire
-let's leave a camera covering a vulnerable victim's address (rather than let it sporadically move about)

how valuable do you think it is to police (and therefore the public) when the camera in the police control room, keeps flicking from side to side..so your eye catches it and you look at it...and you notice a big brawl outside a problem pub...and the council cctv operator wanted the police to notice it, but couldn't get in on the radio due to an urgent incident happening elsewhere

there's a whole host of uses...how about speaking from knowledge Mr X, before you post
Crime Watch starts in a minute. Look at the grainy, out of focus , un recognisable images they will bring to the table, asking ' do you know this man '. Their own mothers wouldn't know them.
Crime Watch starts in a minute. Look at the grainy out of focus un recognisable
images they will bring to the table asking ' do you know this man '.
Their own mothers wouldn't know them.

usually from private businesses who don't wish to pay for quality
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Old Navy
usually from private businesses who don't wish to pay for quality

I used to visit the cctv control rooms of a major supermarket chain. Their system could read the labels on the shelves, (to small print level), and follow people continiously throughout the store. All digitally recorded. They also had very good inteligence and mug shots of people to keep an eye on. If the "partnership" systems are anything like that standard, the shots used on TV must be degraded.

Edited by Old Navy on 29/06/2009 at 22:47

sorry ON, I was thinking more the small newsagent, corner shop type outfit, perhaps I could have clarified it better
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Old Navy
No problem Westpig, I was responding to Mr Xs "their own mothers.....".
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Bilboman
Random, "symbolic" scattering of ANPR (ditto Gatsos, etc.) = random reduction of crime, displacement to other areas; result = back to square one. Put the bell on the cat's neck = cat learns to tiptoe and still catches mice.

Methodical spread of ANPR etc. (i.e. no street free from its clutches) = perception of security; in practice not enough staff to scan images properly. Widespread cloning of car registrations; car theft now more likely to include kidnapping of owner to prevent alarm being raised. I know this from living in the Basque Country where terrorism-linked kidnappings and car thefts are unfortunately still known to occur.

We may *feel* safer with CCTV and ANPR and the like but in reality we aren't. A dark alley is still a dark alley and a spaced-out joyrider is still a spaced-out joyrider.
Agree
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - the swiss tony
We may *feel* safer with CCTV and ANPR and the like but in reality we
aren't. A dark alley is still a dark alley and a spaced-out joyrider is still
a spaced-out joyrider.

In fact we can be in more danger, due to 'feeling' safer... our natural senses dull over time, if they are not used.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Toyota Red
Fundamentally, even without argueing about the pros/cons/effectiveness of the system etc(although I have strong views about those), there is no way that taxpayers money should be able to be used on a system without us knowing everything about it. Simple as that. The police got a very generous increase in funds from my council tax this year (5.7%), and I would be pretty annoyed to read that it is going to be spent on something I have little means of objectively criticising. If it works so well, where is the harm in the 'deterent effect' of letting people know all about it?
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Hamsafar
I don't like it, due to the cross-pollination which is planned for all of these systems.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - martint123
I don't like it either.
ANPR for a specific, realtime purpose like grabbing untaxed/insured/mot vehicles - yes.

Logging every journey of every car for infinity is far to close to what we used to laugh at in the cold war days, East of the Iron Curtain.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - El Hacko
all police cars have ANPR now

is that correct, DVD?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/06/2009 at 11:33

>> all police cars have ANPR now
is that correct DVD?

>>

i'm not DVD, but i'm sure he won't mind....the answer is 'no', however they are becoming more and more the norm. I have no knowledge of what is around the corner, but it would not surprise me at all if that were to be the case eventually

Edited by Westpig on 30/06/2009 at 12:29

however they are becoming more and more the norm.

I stand corrected, not for the first time... should have said perhaps that you can't rely on any police car not having ANPR these days. I was pulled by an ordinary marked Surrey patrol Eurobox 18 months ago, ANPR said MoT expired... or might they have typed my number into their computer terminal?
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - FotheringtonThomas
Remember the fuss when CCTV came to the High Street.

This has nothing to do with one's movements being recorded by systems such as those in the OP. It would, of course, be a concern should these CCTV images record a "subject number" (tattoed on the subject's forehead, perhaps?) and should the images be stored in a database containing location, time, and subject number.
It's twee I know but if you have nothing to hide and behave yourself it
won't affect you.

Yes, it is twee. It's also a word I'm not allowed to say here, so I shall just say that it's utter pink fluffy dice.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/06/2009 at 14:44

I disagree completely. It's a big problem. I think that Tony Melville, Devon and Cornwall Police Deputy Chief Constable, is being disingenuous in mentioning CCTV recordings, and companies harvesting information about customers in the article - presumably as some sort of defence. CCTV records images are not linked to a central database - in themselves, they're innocuous. Companies selling things don't collect information for Big Brother. In my opinion, he needs a good kick up the bracket for implying there's a similarity. This initiative could leat to future abuses.
Oh ye of little faith. RFI is coming

This I understand is still ongoing and will ID your vehicle wherever it is 24/7 unless in a garage with a lead roof.

www.tinyurl.com/mfgvsu

Visions of a Control Room.....bleep from space.......Hey up HJ's vehicle on the move lets track him in real time???????????

Also as I understand it is the intention of ANPR is to have every CCTV, Car Park and Supermarket etc machines to be looped in. So sophisticated now that a pliot scheme in the south west has it linked in from a static unmanned site that any 'hit' is passed to the nearest Police car automatically.

dvd
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - martint123
If it is so good an automatic - then why do insurers still go on about 20% (or whatever) of cars on the road have no insurance?

Although this page shows improving seizures :- www.insurancedaily.co.uk/2009/03/30/police-seize-4.../

and a regurgitation of Ministers intend to create an offence of keeping an uninsured vehicle, to sit alongside driving when uninsured.

Once the legislation is in place, DVLA will work in partnership with insurers to identify uninsured vehicles.

The vehicle owners will then be given a set period in which to take out cover, or face a fine of £100.

It is understood that vehicles that remain uninsured may be seized and destroyed, even if the fine has been paid.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Hamsafar
Most of these draconian policies are the brainchild of "Common Purpose" and their public 'servants', not any particular political party or conventional political movement.
tinyurl.com/ml2hfy

Once again we are treated to the usual guff about what a great crime fighting tool it is.
Then you read this
tinyurl.com/nvqbm.

Surely what we need is something to stop or at least slow this down. Clearly ANPR isn't doing so.

'But John Dean, national ANPR coordinator, said the technology was "a valuable tool in fighting crime".

He added: "If motorists are abiding the law, they need have no concerns as to where the devices may be sited.'

Wake up man and smell the coffee. Attending a meeting of troops out or some other political rally is not against the law but that doesn't stop the govt keeping a list of all the registration plates of people who where parked outside the venue or who carried know supporters in their cars to attend such functions.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Armitage Shanks {p}
John Dean comes across as a bit of a tool, and not even a valuable one!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/07/2009 at 20:11

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Mangetout
I am appreciative of its effectiveness having managed to trigger the system on 2 cars inside a few months.

M3 was pulled over, Wiltshire Constabulary, for no insurance; I had failed to notify my insurers of a change of registration number, absolutely feckless of me but very politely and patiently dealt with, with no grief, just produce evidence to explain my omission.

Previa was stopped by the Mersyside Constabulary for no insurance, having been re-insured 8 days before. Worth having a copy of your (in this case newly issued) documents with you; was just enough to dissuade them from confiscating the vehicle, 250 miles from home, 6 people + stack of luggage on board. AUTOTRADER Insurance had completly failed to upload the renewed insurance to the MID. Took over a week of badgering them to get it done and not a scrap of apology or acknowlegement. I now do a regular check on all 4 of my vehicles on ASKMID

So, it can work both ways but IT WORKS. Well worth any Big Brother/1984 overtones. The worst it can do to those who believe they have nothing to fear is expose you for being a smug prat!
'I now do a regular check on all 4 of my vehicles on ASKMID'
So where is this being pushed... TV advertising, correspondence from your insurers , bill boards. ?
I've seen nothing to say this needs to or must be done by drivers - registered keepers. Once again, it is assumed that every one has access to the internet. How long before the onus is on the insured to see that they are correctly installed on this data base with that provision being taken away from those doing the insurance who will then no longer be held to account for omissions.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - the swiss tony
Previa was stopped by the Mersyside Constabulary for no insurance having been re-insured 8 days before. Worth having a copy of your (in this case newly issued) documents with you; was just enough to dissuade them from confiscating the vehicle 250 miles from home 6 people + stack of luggage on board.
So it can work both ways but IT WORKS. Well worth any Big Brother/1984 overtones.
The worst it can do to those who believe they have nothing to fear is
expose you for being a smug prat!

Would you still have the same opinion if, as in previous cases, the police preferred to believe the computer, than your physical documents?
IMO you were very lucky to have been allowed on your way.... 250miles is a bit of a walk!
I'd like to state once again, straight from the horses mouth of a Merseyside PC... the physical piece of paper that is the Ins cert is not worth the paper it is printed on. It could be a forgery, it could be one you got then cancelled days later. It is no longer evidence that a vehicle is insured unless backed up by computer details. This may vary from force area to force area.
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - jbif
I had failed to notify my insurers of a change of registration number >>
having been re-insured 8 days before. Worth having a copy of your (in this case newly issued) documents with you >>

Going by past stories posted on this forum, you were very lucky indeed to have "escaped" on both occasions.

Going by past stories posted on this forum you were very lucky indeed to have
"escaped" on both occasions.

Why?...The seizure power is discretionary, so if the officer is happy with any explanation they can let them on their way.

A previous discussion on here about that subject has had some people come from the angle the officer 'shouldn't' use the power unless they are absolutely sure the person hasn't got insurance...which defies the logic of having the power...because you are rarely totally sure.

The MID info via the Police National Computer; having a policy with you to refer to; what you say to the officer by means of an explanation; easy telephone access to your insurance company, esp out of hours; etc....are all part of the process of trying to establish the facts.

Why?...The seizure power is discretionary, so if the officer is happy with any explanation they can let them on their way >>

Officers applying discretion and using common sense is fine with me.
As I said, I am merely stating that going by past posts, some people have not been able to make the officer happy:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73536&...t
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=75...3
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=72...9

plus many other examples on the various long ANPR threads,including this one:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=68...7

Edited by jbif on 02/07/2009 at 23:44

Officers applying discretion and using common sense is fine with me.
As I said I am merely stating that going by past posts some people have
not been able to make the officer happy:

yes...and like most things in life, you only usually hear the negative ones...doesn't necessarily mean they're most prevalent though
A previous discussion on here about that subject has had some people come
from the angle the officer 'shouldn't' use the power unless they are absolutely
sure the person hasn't got insurance...which defies the logic of having the
power...because you are rarely totally sure.

No. Previous, and lengthy, discussions about whether police should confiscate or not have boiled down to the fact that they do confiscate, and are quite ready and willing to do this, rather than take reasonable alternative action such as asking for evidence to be produced later, if they can be reasonably sure that the person concerned is positively identifiable. There are quite a number of posts from policemen supporting this action, and, as far as I'm aware, only one saying that this alternative is possible. Knowing, as the police do, that the Insurance Database is fallible, this stinks, mightily.
FT,

Day in day out, discretion is used. Compared to the numbers seized, there are relatively few complaints. There are some that are hard done by, by other's failures, but you cannot have a system of letting everyone on their way if there's any hint of doubt... because the oiks of this world tell so many lies anfd it is often very difficult to differentiate between the genuine and the liar.

You either scrap that legislation in case it might inconvenience someone innocent and thereby let the oik off the hook again...or keep it, knowing it nicely addresses the law breakers, but have to accept some will be inconvenienced by someone's incompetence (not having their details put on the MIB database)

lesser of the evils and all that
because the oiks of this world tell so many lies anfd it is often very difficult to differentiate between the genuine and the liar. ..but you cannot have a system of letting everyone on their way if there's any hint of doubt... .. might inconvenience someone innocent >>

I am saddened and disappointed that British justice has taken this attitude in recent times.

Bring in capital punishment and hang murderers. The innocent ones won't hang around to complain about being inconvenienced.

p.s. I remain a staunch supporter of Police in general despite my views expressed in this thread.

Edited by jbif on 03/07/2009 at 14:41

It is simply lazy policing bought about by a govt that has taken a lazy approach to vehicle crime.
It is simply lazy policing bought about by a govt that has taken a lazy
approach to vehicle crime.

What a load of rubbish. It's a brilliant tool for roadside cops to get in the faces of people who flagrantly flout the law... and make them walk home without their wheels

If you were to state it's another area whereby 'innocence until proven guilty' has been diminished, then i'd be inclined to agree with you...however, this is so succesful and has such an impact on law breaking, that i'm inclined to ignore my general concerns about our general freedoms, because on this occasion, for me, 'the end justifies the means'
'If you were to state it's another area whereby 'innocence until proven guilty' has been diminished, then i'd be inclined to agree with you...however, this is so succesful and has such an impact on law breaking, that i'm inclined to ignore my general concerns about our general freedoms, because on this occasion, for me, 'the end justifies the means''

Well there we have it... so a few eggs get broken, so a few innocent are hung. Policing in the 21st century. Thank goodnees I'll soon be off this mortal coil.

Edited by Webmaster on 04/07/2009 at 03:42

Well there we have it... so a few eggs get broken so a few innocent
are hung. Policing in the 21st century. Thank goodness I'll soon be off this mortal
coil.

going anywhere nice?

Edited by Webmaster on 04/07/2009 at 03:43

Jbif

How about attacking the society that we live amongst in that they are lying, cheating bunch and consider lawlessness as a norm. Those of us with morals and decency try to keep a level plane, but seem to be losing badly and efforts not appreciated.

Evidence: Look at those who rule is and the fraud openly committed and not prosecuted. hese are role models that should set an example.

I am therefore all for such devices that can catch the villan. More power to Westpig and his gang.

dvd
think about it like this jbif

prior to the seizure legislation, many, many innocent people suffered, because of the significant numbers of people who wilfully failed to insure their cars...either through an accident whereby the uninsured wasn't covered etc.. or by higher premiums

now a considerably smaller number of innocent people might suffer a relatively mild financial penalty (for most) and some inconvenience (possibly a fair bit of inconvenience, depending on the circs).

which is the more desirable option out of the two? i.e the lesser evil....and one that could easily be noticeably minimised with pressure on the insurance industry
the significant numbers of people who wilfully failed to insure their cars >>

The impression I get [and it might be completely wrong] from all the TV reality cops shows is that the above type of low life carries on as before because they still don't care due to the ineffective punishments meted out by the other end of the Justice system.

Plod may do an excellent job as shown on those TV shows, but all their effort is negated by the lack of any effective sanctions against the lowlife who refuse to pay their fines. The people who end up obeying the law and paying for any indiscretions committed inadvertently or whatever are invariably the middle classes who do so because of the very fact that they wish to respect the laws.

The very rich and the low life seem to get off for one reason or another. That is my perception of how Justice seems to work in Britain today. I do not get that from the Daily Wail as I do not read it except for the few times when following a tinylink on this site.

I say again, my gripe is not with the Police, who do a fantastic job 99.99% or greater of time, but conversion rate the other end where all that hard work is undone.

ANPR-Agree or disagree? - diddy1234
jbif, I couldn't agree more

If the rich get fined, its a minor inconvienience

If the middle class get fined then its a major upheaval

And yet the scum of the earth end up serving time (at tax payers expense), rehabilitation (yet again at tax payers expense) and then let out early to commit the same crimes again.

The justice system is geared up for people with money not for joe average who wants to abide by the law
ANPR-Agree or disagree? - Fullchat
"Plod may do an excellent job as shown on those TV shows, but all their effort is negated by the lack of any effective sanctions against the lowlife who refuse to pay their fines. "

But we've had their wheels off them. Low value maybe but still of some value. Gone, no right of appeal. Financed on credit, not our problem. For once they have been immediately inconvenienced for their law breaking. No recourse to legal aid, duty solicitors and other nanny state freebies. No chance to play/delay the system.

You don't pay your gas, electric or water you get cut off. You don't pay your rent or mortgage you will soon be looking for alternative accommodation. EVERYONE knows these basic rules. Yet when it comes to insuring the car or being able to offer some proof at the roadside otherwise their is a strong chance the vehicle will be seized then some seem remarkable blase.

And I'm an advocate of exploring every avenue and using discretion before seizure.
But we've had their wheels off them >>

How do you think they get their wheels in the first place? By paying for them with their own hard earned?

a reasoned post jbif....and one I mostly agree with...however Fullchat is correct, it severely inconveniences them, ruins their 'street cred', 'disses' them or whatever... who cares...don't pay for insurance, walk home...fine by me