Ugh - buying a car - WellKnownSid
After six weeks we have finally put down a deposit on a new car. We have so far:

Made 25 dealer visits...
...to 18 different dealers...
...and seen over 30 models of car...
...from 14 manufacturers...
...covered over 200 miles...
...and I have taken three whole days off of work and lost several weekends in the process.

Whenever I walk into Tesco, I never walk out empty-handed, I ALWAYS walk out with a week's shopping.

Why is the car buying process so damned difficult - aren't they supposed to be trying to sell cars these days?! If Tesco modelled itself on the motor trade, we'd all starve!!

Ugh!

Has anyone else had the same experience?
Ugh - buying a car - commerdriver
2 different views of it
In February this year, no 2 son wanted a "new" car, he knew his budget and had a few makes/models he wanted to look at. He went to Cargiant, looked at examples of 5 different cars, test drove one and ordered it. Tescos for cars (near enough)

In September this year I begin the process of ordering my next company car. Having preselected the likely ones, I expect to visit at least 7 different car dealers, I expect to test at least 5 different cars covering at least 100 miles in each over an elapsed time of 2 months+ before ordering me chosen vehicle and specification. The other approach but for me 2 very enjoyable months.

I do think you have gone to an extremely large number of dealers and looked at a much wider model range, maybe your preselection process could be improved.
We knew exactly what we wanted and had shortlisted the relevant cars from several manufacturers. All matched our budget. We agreed to buy as soon as we found a car which ticked all the boxes, at or below the price offered on the manufacturer's website.

Not every car did tick all the boxes, but I'd say we could have bought 70% of the cars we saw, except...

- Many cars were difficult / impossible to test drive (empty dealer 'sorry, you'll have to book a test drive, too busy today!!').

- Even after 'booking' a test drive, two dealers weren't able to fit us in when we turned up 'oh, people never normally turn up for them, we've got nothing you can test drive today, sorry...'

- Two dealers weren't going to get a demonstrator of the car we were looking at until at least September!

- Several dealers only wanted to sell from stock and NOT what we wanted / had priced up.

- Several of the offers we were chasing were 'while stocks last' and stocks had unfortunately been sold.

- We're taking advantage of the scrappage scheme, and I would say several of the dealers we went to had reduced previous dealer contributions to zero, effectively putting prices UP.

I could go on...

In the end we walked into a dealer, told the (female...) salesperson what we wanted, she confirmed a better price than was on the Internet, I asked for a test drive ("do you mind waiting whilst I get the trade plates?"), and we did the deal in less than an hour.

We would have bought at the very first dealer if they could have been bothered to give us a test drive, checked other dealer stock levels, given something on top of the manufacturer / government discounts (that they had been offering a few weeks before), been polite and pleasant, and genuinely taken us seriously!

Am I asking too much?!
Ugh - buying a car - brum
We would have bought at the very first dealer if they could have been bothered
to give us a test drive checked other dealer stock levels given something on top
of the manufacturer / government discounts (that they had been offering a few weeks before)
been polite and pleasant and genuinely taken us seriously!
Am I asking too much?!

Unfortunately yes, I find most dealers uninterested in private customers. Some things never change.....
Ugh - buying a car - Martin Devon
In the end we walked into a dealer told the (female...) salesperson what we wanted
she confirmed a better price than was on the Internet I asked for a test
drive ("do you mind waiting whilst I get the trade plates?") and we did the
deal in less than an hour.

In almost every aspect of business I prefer (and get better results) dealing with a Woman than I ever do with a bloke. Some guys are just so far up themselves and think us punters have just come in orf the last boat.

MD
Ugh - buying a car - ForumNeedsModerating
I'm not sure I can detect the 'difficulty' you seem to be airing here. To check-over/try etc.
'over 30 models of car... from 14 manufacturers' I'd assume to be a lengthy process however fast/efficient/keen/eager to help dealers might be?

Personally, the prospect & process of car buying has always quite pleasurable for me - but I can't say I've ever taken it to the lengths you seem to have. I do my research first, narrow down my target group of possible vehicles, ring dealers first for the 'paper sift' - them visit with a firm idea of what I want & the price I expect to pay.
It doesn't seem alot of work to me considering I'm spending maybe £20K & will be in intimate contact with the product for several years.

Since you use the 'Tesco' analogy, why didn't you visit just one or two big car supermarkets in that case?

Hi, as I say - we would have probably bought the first car we saw if we could have actually got to drive the thing, if they had been willing to do an honest deal (no sneaky increases), and they had / could get a car that matched the offer.
Ugh - buying a car - pmh2
>>>
Made 25 dealer visits...
...to 18 different dealers...
...and seen over 30 models of car...
...from 14 manufacturers...
...covered over 200 miles...
...and I have taken three whole days off of work and lost several weekends in the process.
<<<<

I know people who have aquired a lifelong live-in partner with less involvement.

Providing it is comfortable - (and starts) , after all, it is only a domestic consumable, most of the research can be done from the armchair.

I have never spent that sort of time on buying a house, life is too short.

p
Ugh - buying a car - alfalfa

If Tesco modelled itself on the motor trade we'd
all starve!!

In that case we would be haggling at the check out over the price of beans, trying to get a trade in price on last years products and asking for spare parts for the printer we bought three years ago.

How many supermarkets do you visit before buying some tins of soup?

I bought a Fiat Panda for my daughter from a major Edinburgh dealer by telephone. Total time less than 30 mins, all calls returned, car arrived two weeks earlier than quoted. Lots of paperwork for the scrappage scheme done by the dealer, daughter collected the car as soon as my on line money transfer had gone through. Could not have been easier.

alfalfa
Ugh - buying a car - L'escargot
Most of my pre-purchase research is done from avidly studying the details of new cars in What Car? magazine. That way I can narrow my provisional choice down to one model and variant. A copy of the manufacturer's brochure (ordered online) firms up my provisional choice, so all I need then is a visit to one dealer, and a test drive to confirm my choice.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/06/2009 at 17:49

Ugh - buying a car - b308
And mine, though I do like to see the borderline ones "in the flesh" so to speak... but I have usually narrowed it down to 6 models, max, before I go looking for test drives.
Ugh - buying a car - jbif
After six weeks we have finally put down a deposit on a new car. We have so far: >>

The car was ....... ?
In the end we walked into a dealer, .... and we did the deal in less than an hour.

The dealer was ...... ?

Ugh - buying a car - RickyBoy
I too identify with a lot of what you have stated.

I've seriously been contemplating changing since September 08 but often find that I don't have the energy to follow things through. As you suggest, more often than not the most highly-spec'd variant that I would be interested in often won't be available to try for size & more importantly, colour.

Note to manufacturer's: Hold a new model launch open day where you have every variant in every available colour for me to do comparison's on your site/factory/compound.

Recent example: I sent for the new Jag XF brochures. They arrive quickly enough. I stroke the sexy images whilst pondering, etc.

I receive a follow-up email from Jag Customer Whatever in Coventry asking if they arrived and can they do ANYTHING else (including the offer of a test-drive) for me re: the XF?

I reply stating that I'd be very keen to take a 2nd test drive (previous one was for 20mins in April '08 in 2.7 Diesel), only this time I'd like the new 3.0 Diesel, preferably the S variant and I'd also like to take one out for 2/3 hours or half a day. I ask if that is feasible and that I'd be prepared to travel up to 100 miles to partake in such an exercise if nothing local available!

I've heard NOTHING in 10-days, so forget it Jaguar. I'm not intending to sound flash but I could afford to buy a handful of XF's, for cash, almost immediately, but you've lost me/my interest now.

Guess I'll be sticking with the 6-year old vRS for the forseeable future now that it's just sailed through its MOT yet again!
"Note to manufacturer's: Hold a new model launch open day where you have every variant in every available colour for me to do comparison's on your site/factory/compound."

...because if I'm spending upwards of 30K I want to see the body colour(s) in all its(their) glory life-size and not as a glossy 25cm brochure swatch. Colour choice is absolutely critical to my mind...
Ugh - buying a car - loskie
I ve just gone through the very same. With the exceptions that are Lloyd Vovo, Carlisle: Ingram Skoda, Ayr and Progress Skoda in Letchworth all of whom showed interest in my purchase and good communication skills. Many others have not returned phone calls or e mails even when sent through manufacturers websites.
Many others and I mean many did not even to bother lifting their backsides off their chairs when visiting the showroom. It doesn't fill one with confidence for post sales service.
Can relate to the lack of backside lifting, lack of returned phone calls, and the lack of brochures. In fact - I've sent off brochure requests to several websites as long as six weeks ago and not had a single one, apart from an email offer today (a wee bit late!).

Strangely, it was a Skoda that we went for in the end... maybe there is a pattern emerging in the quality of their dealer network?!

We only wanted a simple small runaround to replace our ten year old 'second' car. We didn't even care about colour, and only needed some fairly basic equipment as standard.

I can understand, say, my local Merc dealer having only limited availability of the new E-class - maybe I'd have to drive a demonstrator with the right size engine, and just imagine the interior of the elegance model.

But for small family hatchbacks in basic engine sizes? I thought there were airfields full of family cars waiting to be test driven??!
Ugh - buying a car - bonzodog
Whilst I do agree that both dealers & manufacturers can sometimes make it difficult for prospective buyers, a number of points:

Asking a manufacturer to display every model in every derivative in every colour is ludicrous! Have you considered how many cars this would mean? And whilst it is clearly possible, what about the man who chooses to spend £30k 2 weeks after this launch? Do it again?

The scrappage scheme has been very successful leading to A SUDDEN shortage in the more popular models.

The economy together with the dramatic reduction in credit availability has meant production has been slowed down & even stopped. You can't suddenly magic them from nowhere

Just because dealer A has a model in the derivative & colour a customer wants, doesn't mean he should give it to dealer B. Otherwise he doesn't have the car to sell

Walking in expecting a test drive whilst desirable is not always possible.

Saying that:

"Even after 'booking' a test drive, two dealers weren't able to fit us in when we turned up" - unforgivable!

-"Several dealers only wanted to sell from stock and NOT what we wanted" - like you I'd have walked away

"Several of the offers we were chasing were 'while stocks last' and stocks had unfortunately been sold" - happened to me a few months back
Ugh - buying a car - L'escargot
Colour choice is
absolutely critical to my mind...

I want the exterior colour to be as bright as I can get, so that the car is as visible as possible to other road users. I want the interior trim to be as near as possible to dark charcoal grey so that stains are as invisible as possible. In other words the colours have to be function-oriented not style-oriented. It's never a soul-searching matter for me.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/06/2009 at 19:42

Ugh - buying a car - Bill Payer
Nothing changes - it's generally been like this for all of the 30 years I've been buying new cars.

It truly staggers me that the "prestige" marques seem the worst - how on earth do you get an Audi, BMW or Mercedes salespersons attention? I've come to the conclusion that they just don't care because there's a certain number of customers that buy that sort of car and they probably rotate around the brands every now again, so it's a zero sum game.

If that's the case then it makes Jaguars efforts referred to above even more in-excusable, as, with a bit of effort, they should be able to capture some of these customers.
Ugh - buying a car - movilogo
Why is the car buying process so damned difficult -

Because consumers have too many choices nowadays.

However, it can be made easier by short listing few models after reading reviews on internet.
Ugh - buying a car - Kevin
RickyBoy,

Jaguar owners often receive invitations to test drives and factory tours. I got to test the XF 3.0D S and XF-R recently. I have another invitation to test the XF and XK-R this weekend.

Maybe they thought it wasn't worth putting together a collection of every colour and trim combination for the owner of a "6-year old vRS" who took a test drive in April 2008 and has "seriously been contemplating changing since September 08 but often find that I don't have the energy to follow things through."?

>I'm not intending to sound flash but I could afford to buy a handful of XF's, for cash,
>almost immediately, but you've lost me/my interest now.

Gosh. Did you tell them?

Kevin...

Edited by Kevin on 19/06/2009 at 00:58

3 points:

When I suggested an 'new model launch/open day' I very obviously meant at the manufacturer's plant (Honda in Swindon, Nissan in Sunderland,Jaguar in Coventry etc.) or at the manufacturer's UKHQ and NOT at any individual dealership. That would be utterly impractical. Doesn't M-B World at Brooklands claim to do something along those lines?

My 'thing' about colour could then be satiated if the complete available colour range of that particular model was there in front of my eyes, parked side-by-side/nose-to-tail for me to be able to eliminate the once's that I didn't like at a stroke. I think that the XF looks awful in some of the dark blues but extremely desirable in lighter blue, the three grey's, black and Radiance (red). To my mind the body lines of a vehicle change considerably in the various colours. I guess examples of the alloy wheel variants could also be available and be interchangeable too as this aspect also has a direct impact on my purchase. Funnily enough, I'm not too concerned about internal trim colourings, as long as they're black and in leather! Maybe I just suffer from severe OCD?

I also concur with the learned gentleman above with regard to male/female salespeople. My recent experience is only with M-B but both the sole woman out in the showroom and the one in corporate were streets ahead of the 'blokes' in terms of doing deals. A great number of them were repeat deals too. I know it's a slightly different ballpark, even though it was on the same premises, but the young woman responsible for Smart sales had usually met her monthly target by week 3 at the latest! She was professional, ruthless and dedicated in pursuing the sale but she must also have been extremely charming, demeaning and a damn sight more trustworthy ? allegedly.

Cheers...

I don't believe I meant to say demeaning!...
Ugh - buying a car - rjr
Doesn't M-B World
at Brooklands claim to do something along those lines?

When MB World was announced it was intended to have every model in every colour on display. However, during the umpteen revisions of the plan whilst the building was being constructed this was dropped on the grounds of space (someone decided that smart should have a presence) and cost (stocking interest plus difficulty in being able to sell on the unusual colours).
Ugh - buying a car - Avant
Just make sure you go to a dealer that's family-owned (as many Skoda dealers are) rather than part of a chain. If it's their own money that's being earned or lost in car sales, they'll make sure their staff are doing their job properly.

That said, I still can't understand why so many dealers' sales staff are still so uninterested - chains are there to make money too - or why the manufacturers don't exercise more control.

Finally if you are in the South and want a Mercedes try Greenoaks (Reading and a few other towns). I didn't like the car I bought from them but the dealership was excellent.
Ugh - buying a car - TurboD
I must say that my experience with Skoda was excellent, phoned back , good price, test drive , ordered, kept me up to date on delivery and delivered the car to my door , on a trailer- and then a proper 'handover'!! I was shocked to see the effor they made for a cheap - if new- car. After sales, is good too. I believe it is the family run business that you need to approach.
Ugh - buying a car - BobbyG
Is this not a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Are car sales people so cheesed off with people coming in, viewing cars even test driving them then leaving and trying to get them cheaper on web or other dealers? The good ones will know if they persevere and provide excellent customer service they may get the sale?

But I would imagine if you were Joe Bloggs salesperson and each day you have someone asking for prices, test drives, trying to get free mats off you etc and no matter how nice you are to them, they then leave, phone 3 dealers and a web and order it from there as they got it for £10 cheaper?

As I have said before these are the same people who will complain when there is no dealer within 100 miles of them to service their car or fight a warranty claim because they can't afford to stay open on the margin consumers want them to take.
Ugh - buying a car - gordonbennet
same people who will complain when there
is no dealer within 100 miles of them

Agree with every word of your post BG, and it wouldn't do any harm to let the (hopefully carefully chosen) dealer of choice do the servicing too even if it is a few pounds more than old Pete in his shed who uses the genuine parts.

Not only will you find courtesy cars far more available, anything that goes wrong after warranty runs out is likely to have the dealer fighting your corner for goodwill, that £200 extra for 3 years servicing may well save much more if something nasty goes wrong outside warranty.

Had a little chat along these lines with a regular delivery point, one of their sales chaps had spent several hours getting a deal sorted only to find that the customer could get the thing £78 cheaper on the net...after test driving etc and using the dealer's time and knowledge.
Despite the fact he might have to travel far to collect, he went with the internet offer.

Hardly surprising then when dealers seem uninterested.
Ugh - buying a car - Bill Payer
the dealer fighting your corner for goodwill

I've always bought cars locally and always (until the "Mitsubishi incident", when I switched dealers) had them serviced at the supplying dealer. The only times I've ever had goodwill I've had to fight (and in SEAT UK's case that was on a world war scale) for it myself with no help from the dealer whatsoever.
I can understand the point Bobby and GB are making, but the fact remains that Bill almost certainly won't buy another SEAT for his daughter. The loss is SEAT's and their dealership's, and it could so easily have been avoided by proper customer care.

Contrast that with my elder daughter who is on her third Toyota Yaris and will probably have more of the same, given the excellent performance of both cars and dealer (Octagon Bracknell).

If you sell anything, there are always going to be customers who waste time, or shop around, or just can't make up their mind. That's business. If salespeople and service staff don't like customer-facing roles, then they should try to find something else to do.

There are a lot of high-calibre people out there who are undeservedly unemployed (the victims of idiotic short-termist bankers and an ineffective Government) who would be only too glad to take a job selling cars, and do it well.

Edited by Avant on 19/06/2009 at 01:47

after test driving etc and using
the dealer's time and knowledge.

A test drive might have been nice, it was simply too much trouble for several dealers to go to.

Ultimately, I just don't buy the 'timewaster' arguement.

I'm taking time off of work / out of my weekend to find a car - a process for which I don't get paid. The dealer / sales consultant IS being paid to do what they do. In talking to me knowledgeably about a car, in taking me for a test drive, I'm the one that's making the sacrifice in terms of time and money.

In the end we bought from a main dealer - the first main dealer that actually showed any real interest. We had no intention of buying from the Internet, although I totally understand why people have no problem in doing so.
Despite the fact he might have to travel far to collect he went with the
internet offer.

So, what you're saying is - it didn't actually come down to money in the end. It wasn't the fact that it was a few quid cheaper - this guy was prepared to probably shell out MORE in terms of time and money just so they DIDN'T have to see that dealer again. In the end - this guy had more trust in a faceless Internet web site than a real person sat at a desk. That's something I can relate to given the response I've had from some of the dealers we've visited.
Hardly surprising then when dealers seem uninterested.

Isn't that a self fulfilling prophecy? Dealer is uninterested, therefore people like me (who just want to buy a car) just walk out. Dealer notices all these people walking out of the showroom and decides that they must be timewasters - decides to take less notice of people in the future?

Where does it end? A big notice on the door 'sorry, you must have a bank statement and a sworn declaration that you don't have access to the Internet before we let you in'?
I also agree with and accept those latest observations. The world is full of 'timewaster's' and I would rarely, if ever, walk into a car dealership on a whim. I ALWAYS like to be prepared & armed with a brochure and pricing structure before I let the salespeople loose on me!

I guess we've probably all checked-out white-goods, audio's & televisions, have tried on running-shoes in a department store, etc. to ensure correct fit, sizing & functionality, only to go straight home and purchase online if the price reduction is significant? (I would, however, say that I personally would never buy a TV anywhere other than John Lewis because of their impeccable customer service record over the years and 5-year no quibble guarantee).

I digress... perhaps my return e-mail to Jaguar got lost in cyberspace or the recipient left his position the day before I sent it and it's sitting in his 'in-tray'? Isn't it strange that I prefer to use that initial informal line of communication rather than pick up the phone these days! Have we all become conditioned to begin negotiations in an almost clandestine manner so that we reveal almost nothing of or selves or our intent, thereby reducing unwanted follow-up calls, etc.

Last year I test-drove the new Tiguan. I wasn't that keen and gave no indication whatsoever to the salesman that it was the car of my dreams/needs but he wouldn't leave me alone for the following fortnight.

Conclusion ? OTT intrusion is going to put me off a brand just as much as complete lack of interest/response. I guess persuasive selling/getting the balance absolutely right for all parties is an art-form that most of the Giles' from Marketing with their fast-track MBAs simply don't possess?

>perhaps my return e-mail to Jaguar got lost in cyberspace..

You should have received an "Undeliverable" message. It might be in a spam folder though. Or, if you sent it to a personal account (john_doe@jaguar), rather than a dept. id (sales@jaguar), maybe the recipient is on hols?

>Isn't it strange that I prefer to use that initial informal line of communication rather
>than pick up the phone these days!

Not strange at all.

I just can't understand why, if you were supposedly interested in the car, you didn't follow-up with another email or phonecall when you got no response after a few days. If a particular car was on my short-list I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram because of an email problem.

>Last year I test-drove the new Tiguan. I wasn't that keen and gave no indication whatsoever
>to the salesman that it was the car of my dreams/needs but he wouldn't leave me alone for
>the following fortnight.

Why didn't you tell him that you didn't like it?

You complain when they don't chase you and complain again when they do.

If you really are interested in the XF and want a test drive, email me via the mods telling me where you live and I'll see if my local dealer can get something organised for you.

I might even get a pint out of it if you like it enough to buy one.

Kevin...
Ugh - buying a car - ifithelps
...You complain when they don't chase you and complain again when they do...

Kevin,

Well said.

A significant number of 'buyers' do throw the toys out of the pram if the salesman doesn't read their every move and signal correctly.

There are bound to be little misunderstandings when strangers begin to interact - it happens on here all the time.

When I sold cars, I used to think too many people were more interested in jousting or testing the salesman than buying the car.

It's the car you have to take home and live with, not the salesman.

Edited by ifithelps on 20/06/2009 at 10:00

Final word (from the mouth of the SENIOR Sales Manager of a prestige brand car manufacturer) to whom I was speaking (via e-mail ? hah) only yesterday:

..."We are always interested in offering test drives as this is the only way to sow seeds for now or the future!"...

End of!
>I think that the XF looks awful in some of the dark blues but extremely desirable in
>lighter blue, the three grey's, black and Radiance (red)..

>Funnily enough, I'm not too concerned about internal trim colourings, as long as they're
>black and in leather!

Funnily enough, my local dealer has a used XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury in stock. '09 Reg. in Black with Charcoal leather.

If you are within travelling distance, give them a call on Monday and you'll probably get a test drive the same day. Alternatively, contact your nearest Jag dealer and tell them the stocklist ID (799501) and location (Harwoods, Basingstoke) and Jaguar will normally have it delivered to you for a test drive.

tinyurl.com/n46b68

Kevin...
Ugh - buying a car - LikedDrivingOnce
Recently bought a car for SWMBO, taking advantage of scrappage scheme. She pretty much knew the car that she wanted. We tried three dealers. On bad, one average, one very good (and local).
We bought the car at internet-level prices, and very happy with the overall experience.

I'm dreading changing my own car though. I don't like many models currently on the market. The cars that I really like are hatchback coupes - but they are very rare these days. (There used to be loads of them - Calibra, Cougar, Celica and others).

The only large hatchbacks around are cars like the Insignia, Mondeo and Mazda 6. Not bad cars except that they don't do a decent version with an automatic box and diesel engine.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
Try an Audi A3 (3 or 5 door) or A4 Avant: new or used depending on your budget. Dlesels can be had with DSG or Multitronic (CVT).

Have one of those and perhaps you'll like driving again.

Edited by Avant on 20/06/2009 at 01:34

Try an Audi A3 (3 or 5 door) or A4 Avant: new or used depending
on your budget. Dlesels can be had with DSG or Multitronic (CVT).

I rate Audi cars very highly. A friend has an A4 Avant and is very pleased with it.

I test drove an A3 in 2006 when I bought my present car (A BMW 3 series Touring). Lovely car. Fantastic DSG gearbox. Shame that it was too small for my needs.

An A4 would be ideal if it were a hatchback. I need more practicality from a car than a boot offers. That is why I want a large-ish hatchback. Estate cars are even more practical, but there are three stopping factors:
1) They all carry a hefty premium to buy over a saloon (typically £1000 extra),
2) I don't actually need so much space - just a hatchback
3) They are ugly - they all remind me of a hearse!

Having said that, the front runner has to be an A4 Avant, I suppose. Just to confirm, though....does the 2 litre diesel come with a DSG gearbox, or one of those CVT "lackey-band" gearboxes? (Not really happy with a CVT, to be honest)

Ugh - buying a car - andyfr
The A4 comes with a Multitronic (CVT) gearbox and, according to various forums, is very unreliable.

How about a Skoda Octavia hatchback? They come in diesel with the DSG gearbox.
Ugh - buying a car - Jason74
?Is this not a case of the tail wagging the dog??
In simple terms no. While the idiots who will use the dealers time and expertise before buying elsewhere for the sake of £50 or so do exist, they are in the minority. When spending that kind of money, most people will want to deal with someone fairly close to home if possible. Also, MOST people coming into a showroom generally either want to buy a car now, or are interested in seeing what is available for when they buy in the future. The first is a potential sale now, and the second is an opportunity to sow seeds for the future. The few idiots are unfortunately a fact of life in any customer service environment.
However, the service provided by main dealers is imho often very poor (and I say this having briefly worked for one in the past, as well as from a customer perspective), and it is this poor service that has led to people?s attitudes to main dealers, rather than the other way round. A case in point, I recently was considering changing car. Although financially not the smartest move, I fancied a relatively inexpensive new car, and after some web-based research both on the cars themselves, and deals available narrowed my choice down to three cars, which I then test-drove.

At the end of this process, I decided I quite fancied a Kia Rio (not the most exciting car in the world I know, but I want a simple tool to do a job). Sat down with a local-ish dealer to try and negotiate a deal. If he?d have offered a deal within a couple of hundred quid of the best main dealer (not broker) quotes I?d received, I was ready to buy the car there and then. However, his attitude was basically ?this is list price, take it or leave it?. Unsurprisingly, I walked away, and was so put off by the whole experience I ended up not buying a car at all.

The poor relationships between dealers and customers is a situation caused mainly by dealers, and it is primarily their responsibility to sort this out. The rise of the internet is a symptom of this (and NOT the cause of subsequent poor service). As others have said, there is now a significant (and I suspect growing) group of customers who would prefer to use a broker rather than a main dealer, in some cases simply to avoid having to deal with the latter. Dealers need to wake up for that , rather than ?blaming? internet sales.

I should as an honourable exception however point out my local Skoda dealer, Elmside Garage (in Beckenham, Kent). They were excellent when we were looking at the Fabia, and I would have happily bought from them. Unfortunately, for reasons unfathomable to me, my wife couldn?t get on with the car, so we had to pass on that
The A4 comes with a Multitronic (CVT) gearbox and according to various forums is very
unreliable.
How about a Skoda Octavia hatchback? They come in diesel with the DSG gearbox.

Thanks for the tip. It is something worth researching further when the time comes.
I love these forums - other drivers are really helpful with advice.
When I'd posted above I realised I'd forgotten to mention the 3-series Touring - but then I see that's what you've got now. Sounds like just what you need, but maybe you want a change. I had several long drives in 320d's but couldn't find a comfortabe driving position - but that's just me. Others rave about them.

There's also the VW Golf Plus and Golf estate (which like the A4 Avant doesn't look van-like): you can have diesel with DSG on these. I had an estate and loved it, and would still have it if I hadn't got a good deal on a 170 bhp Octavia TDI. The Golf hatch can have this engine, but for some reason not the Plus or the estate.

Before that I had an A4 Avant with Multitronic - never a problem although I don't know how reliable they are at high mileages.

The Mercedes B-class would also fit your needs, but I had one of those too and wouldn't recommend a diesel automatic - the droning noise was appalling. There's a thread about this car running at the moment.

Edited by Avant on 20/06/2009 at 18:43

The 3 series is OK, but not "me". I am a poor driver, to be honest, and out of my depth in the car. Also, I don't like the BMW image. I know that I should not let it bother me, but it does. (Great engines, though).
I'd never considered a Golf Plus. That IS a an interesting suggestion. I'll have to find out more about that - thanks! The Octavia is a seriously talented car as well, having checked out "What Car?"

Shame about Multitronic, it doesn't seem to like high mileages - and I intend to keep my next car to 100k miles.

Being an old boy (in my fifties), I might just do what SWMBO keeps urging and settle for a smaller car anyway, in which case the Audi A3 comes back into consideration as well.

Come to think of it a smaller car that ticks all the boxes may be a better option than a larger car which has some key "desirables" missing.

It's all a case of trying to find as good a fit as possible. For most of us there is no "perfect car" out there.

This forum has been a really valuable resource for picking up useful advice. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Ugh - buying a car - Westpig
It's not difficult to provide good customer service...but it has to have the commitment from the shopfloor and the management

John Lewis manage it in the dept store field, Amazon manage it for internet shopping
...and First Direct manage it in banking...so why can't many more car dealers?

To someone like me, the experience of walking into a car show room is akin to arranging some double glazing. I'm expecting 'hard sell', and 'tactics' (and to a minor degree I know about cars)...it's no wonder that people that are clueless about cars hate the experience. The system is so flawed, that when I post the next bit, I have no doubt some of you might laugh...but i'd like openness, honesty and trust to come into the equation, after all i'm spending a huge chunk of my money...how about posting the price you're willing to sell it at, rather than leave it to me to try to haggle it down, which to some/many = confrontation...i'm the customer and I don't like doing that. It's no wonder internet sites are becoming more popular, the discount is already sorted and published...you just e-mail or ring... and that's what you pay.
Ugh - buying a car - ifithelps
...how about posting the price you're willing to sell it at, rather than leave it to me to try to haggle it down...

It's what's known as a 'disorderly market' and has ever been thus.

Put another way: horse trading on four wheels instead of four legs.