09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - adverse camber
The full stop will be breaking the link
tinyurl.com/382vzg

Edited by adverse camber on 14/06/2009 at 15:00

09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - Halmer
thank you.
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - ED731PDH
Oh dear there goes the fuel economy!

So, to get this system to work, especially with cars fitted with high 6th gears, you have to drive around at high speed in a lower gear to burn off the soor in the DPF. This "development" (and I use the word development lightly) is diametrically opposed to good economy driving and all the beneficial reasons for buying an economical car in the first place.

This assuming that the system (a la Mazda) actually works correctly in the first place.

Hey ho!
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - injection doc
these DPMF systems are there to meet goverment targets on emmissons but like everything the goverment do its just figures to meet targets. DPMF's are expensive & add to poor fuel economy & add to more manufacturing of even more parts increasing manufacturing costs & repair costs.
I would like to know what contribution is made to the climate everytime a Diesel car has to have a good thrashing uneccesarly & increased journeys just to re-generate. The addatives that are added to some vehicles to assist in re-generation. The amount of DPMF's that have to be changed.
My Pals Volvo D5 pre DPMF used to average 44+ mpg but the new one with DPMF struggles to make 35MPG & Volvo have told him its partly attributed to the DPMF.
I do wonder whether the cost of these outway the benefits but then we have to reach targets as whatever the cost bit like MP's expenses!
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - bathtub tom
No, you don't have to drive around in lower gears at higher revs, thus ruining your economy. You can let the system pump extra fuel into the exhaust thus ruining your economy.

My brain hurts.
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - rtj70
You can let the system pump extra fuel into the exhaust thus ruining your economy.

And some will end up in the sump :-) A la Mazda

I have to say since doing a lot of miles on the motorway in recent months the oil level on my Mazda diesel has not gone up at all.
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - craig-pd130

In my limited experience (16 months with a Mondeo IV TDCI with DPF) you don't need to thrash the engine to support regeneration.

You just need to drive it normally, keeping the revs in the peak torque band (1750 - 2250 rpm in my case). This keeps the exhaust gases hot enough.

The point in the AA bulletin about long gearing is accurate. If I used 4th in the Mondeo in a 30 limit, the engine would be labouring at 1300 rpm. Likewise, 6th gear gives over 70mph at 2000rpm.

By using a gear lower the engine stays in its most efficient rpm band (good for torque and economy) and supports regeneration too.
Where I live (semi-rural), having a DPF fitted car would probably not be too much of an issue although I suspect the car would eventually suffer due to the short 3 mile drive each morning to the nearest railway station, I cant see the DPF regenerating at all during this part of the drive.

No, my issue with DPF systems revolves around the fact that you have to adjust your driving style to suit the car rather than the car being obtained to address your lifestyle. When either of my two cars are due for replacement at some point in the future, I will not be looking at any cars fitted with DPF systems, especially Mazda/Ford, due to their poor design and poor after sales back up when it all goes pair shaped.

The other halfs car is an 8 year old wuffer fitted with an L series diesel, it can easily manage 50mpg ( I managed to squeeze it up to 70mpg during the early 00s fuel crisis with a bit of nursing ) and it has lower emissions than my 05 plated diesel xtrail (non-DPF) or any of the current offerings on the market. Modern cars being produced by manufacturers are emissions poor by comparision.
09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - injection doc
here's a recommendation for one make of vehicle manufacturer to attempt to get the DPMF to re-generate. The vehicle has to be driven without stopping so London area is out. hence I mentioned about going for drive just to clean the exhaust! hardly green. The AA & RAC are having real issues in built up area's with DPMF's.
So heres the drive cycle:

Prerequisites (General):

· Ignition ON

· Engine ON (Idle)

· Coolant Temperature above 50 °C

· Particle Filter Load below Specification (Diagnostics should give the specified value)

o If the Particle Filter Load is above Specification the Particle Filter needs to be replaced since the car may burn down when regenerating.

· Power Consumers ON (Light, Seat Heating, Front/Rear Window Heater, Climate Control)

Conditions (Driving Cycle):

· Vehicle Speed between 30-60 km/h (18-37 MPH)

· Engine Speed between 1500-2500 RPM (4th or 5th Gear, Automatic Transmission in Tiptronic)

· Duration approx. 15-20 Minutes

· Exhaust Gas Temperature before Turbo Charger above 700 °C

Drive the car based on the above conditions until the Particle Filter Load is as low as possible (close to 0 %). In case the regeneration fails there can either be problems with the Driving Cycle Conditions or with the Engine Hardware.

Should it fail replacement may be required

09 2.0 Diesel Particulate Filters - craig-pd130

I was amused to see that Peugeot won Le Mans with its DPF-equipped diesel. I bet they had no regeneration problems :-D
Two cans of Cataclean and a packet of crisps please.....! :o)

(or whatever the froggie equivalent is over there).

No, I can't see any problems with the filters on those cars either, they must be totally spotless.

When are manufacturers going to realise that not everybody has a house drive exiting onto a race track road?