Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - 1400ted
Another Bank Holiday coming up in a couple of hours. See if you know the make and model of this rather chubby estate car.

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/?action=...g

A virtual glass of malt to the first correct answer out of the bag !

Ted
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - bell boy
ive come to the conclusion its a one off made of different parts you nailed together in your back yard in the early 60"s
No...but I'll have to give you a clue...there's only one in the UK......any help ?

Answer this time tomorrow. If I can find and scan a couple more photos of two pre-war cars, I will. They will both be difficult, although British through and through.

Nite nite.

Ted
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - bathtub tom
Would that be:

CD2 Briggs Bodied Utility Duck egg blue 1952 Now in NZ owned by V Morrison NZ reg LK 3625 rebuilt with Jupiter style body called CDR3 with R4 engine
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - mss1tw
Would that be:...

Sorry can you be more specific?
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - Avant
Does the Bradford registration (HKW) suggest that it may be a prototype Jowett which never went into production? Ford made the bodies and pulled the plug on Jowett in about 1953.

Interestingly, a lot of Jowett dealers went over to VW and sales of the Beetle took off about then.

The Javelin and Jupiter were orogonal designs with a lot of flair: perhaps this car was meant to be a successor to the Bradford utility, which didn't.
i think you have something there Avant
ive racked my brains but never thought to find where hkw came from
i was thinking along austin/javelin/special bodies/skoda etc?
never ever seen one it even had me looking at metropolitans
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - Dwight Van Driver
Proto type of an Austin A35 Estate?

Note the apparent A badge on the bonnet.

dvd
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - Lud
I thought Austin for a moment too DVD. There was an Austin model with a grille quite like that, what was it called, A40 Sports or something? There can't be many of those still about because there never were all that many. But the rest of the car doesn't look like anything I recognise.
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - doctorchris
It's obviously the latest "retro style" product to emerge from BMW's Mini factory in Oxford.
The Clubman failed to provide the interior space required but this motor will!
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - henry k
I have the answer but I will not spoil it for others.
Pity the whole vehicle has not survived but those in Godzone look after old Brit mobiles.
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - El Hacko
something fm the Rootes Group, maybe Hillman or Standard? does hv an Austin rear shape, tho.
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - Buster Cambelt
Hillman Husky Phase 1 I think

Hmmm....some interesting thoughts there.
I promised a couple more. One photo was too small to show much detail when scanned but this one may take some naming...seen on my trailer in the 80s.

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/?action=...g

Ted
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - AlastairW
Would that be a Crossley? (I admit most pre war cars look similar to my untrained eye, mind you)
Not a Crossley. Radiator looks Frazer Nash or HRG, but it's the wrong sort of body for one of those.

Trojan? Jowett? Perhaps something foreign even. Can't tell really.

What an elegant beast it is though.

(By the way ted, did you agree that the car in that lady's obit picture was a Javelin or not? You never said.)

Damn! Sunbeam? Perhaps not. Damn!

Edited by Lud on 25/05/2009 at 20:33

Another Jowett perhaps? Late 1920s by the look of it.
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - zookeeper
i've no idea what motor it is but wallace and grommit wouldnt look out of place in it
OK zookeeper, they too have an elegant side.

Take another look though at the proportions of that thing. Believe me, it outclasses most of its era. Of course a nice body design can make you think a car is better than it really is. And there may be no connection between the tailor (so to speak) and the jumped-up grease monkey if you're out of luck who may have conceived and supervised the chassis operation...
Must say though that most of the really good ones are aesthetically pleasing too, taste notwithstanding. Of course there's always the Lancia whatsitsname, the frightful all-sideways rally car that is really the automotive equivalent of the US army's Warthog tankbuster aircraft, you know, the ones with two dustbins taped to its bum and puff-the-magic-dragon or something even worse installed up its nose...

What does AE think, if his aesthetoboost is turned on? I reckon that's a well elegant late twenties bourgeois runabout.
Well, 552 views to this thread and, really only one winner. I'm not going to name the green pre-war car until tomorrow but some clues...made in the North West but not Crossley, normal engine so not Trojan.
Now, the fat estate.......Get out of the bath Tom, put a towel round you and take a bow.
Jowett made about 15 or so Typw CD Bradfords in 1953, this one is CD2, I owned CD10 for about 10 years, the only survivor outside the Antipodes. They made Estate, Saloon, Van and Pickup versions which were to replace the Javelin and Bradford ranges.

They came too late, Ford did not pull the plug, they were not involved. Jowetts at this time had decided to manufacture their own gearboxes to save money. Previously they bought in from Henry Meadows. Jowett boxes were unreliable, the factory was so involved with warranty repairs that car production came to a halt. Trimmed bodies were still being delivered from Briggs of Doncaster but no-one was available to put the mechanics in.
The writing was on the wall, only the Jupiter was being sold and there wasn't enough volume to make money. The company was owned by Lazards, the merchant bank, and they closed it down. 'Jowett Cars Ltd' is now owned by the Jowett Car Club, the world's oldest one-make car club.

As Lord Montague said...'Better to go out in a blaze of glory with a Jupiter, than to be badge-engineered out of existance '

I'm pleased to say that my Javelin has a Meadows box !

Ted
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - henry k
I have the answer but I will not spoil it for others.
Pity the whole vehicle has not survived but those in Godzone look after old Brit mobiles.

>>
refering to info in
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/jowett_cd.htm
Another Bank Holiday mystery car. - bathtub tom
Sorry. I can't really take the accolade. All I did was google the number plate.

I'll wave my white towel in surrender - oops, shouldn't have done that. ;>)
I had an idea that you had done that but I'm too much of a gentleman to grass you up.

Lud, I tried to reply at the time but the site wasn't letting me. I'm not convinced it was a Javelin, it didn't just look right...I'm more inclined to another Devon.

I looked at the lady's entry on www.findagrave.com/ a very interesting site.

Ted
After I'd posted (yes, honestly) I googled 'jowett prototype' and found it there, but didn't let on so as not to spoil the fun.

I'd stick with a Javelin in the picture that came with the French lady's obituary - what you can see of the front door is different from the A40 Devon opposite.
well well well
i never thought of that either :-(
what you can see of the front door is different from the A40 Devon opposite.

And it's got a curved screen, while the Austin's across the road is flat. And you can see its high steering wheel position, and stubby bonnet, and the headlights and wing profile are different from the Austin's too.

Put your reading glasses on ted!

But she wasn't a French lady really. Just her married name.

Edited by Lud on 26/05/2009 at 00:09

Ah, well....not many takers on the green vintage saloon.

It is a ( the ) Waldron Wayfarer. Made by Waldron Engineering of St. Helens to the specification of the ' boss ' for his personal use.
Only one was made. The company made all the mechanical parts from scratch but may have farmed out the delightful body.

A miracle, really, that it survived.

Ted