Focus buying a high miler. - smashing
Hi all,
After keeping my eyes upon auto trader i see a lot of Focus's that have between 90,000 and 100,000 miles on the clock but with a full ford service history and other cars that have less miles (typically 60 to 70k) but with only a part service history in my price range...which would be the better one (as long as the FSH is genuine)? also does the 2.0l petrol have a DMF??

thanks

Adam

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 22/05/2009 at 18:53

Focus buying a high miler. - Rattle
Much of your question depends on what the car has been used for. The milleage/service history is always a bit of a gamble and you will probably find something in the middle. I would be susipicius of lower milleage cars with no history as it is harder to varify the milleage is correct.
Focus buying a high miler. - oldnotbold
I'm with Rattle. A one owner, fully documented high-miler is far preferable to a multi-owner, partially-documented lower mileage car.
Focus buying a high miler. - woodster
I think there's an over obsession with mileage. The engine itself is rarely the limiting factor in a well maintained car these days. A 2 litre petrol focus is hardly stressed. If it's nice and straight I'd have no worries whatsoever with a full history car. Focus is nice and straightforward and a decent drive, be surprised if you weren't pleased provided you check the car properly.
Focus buying a high miler. - Alby Back
A common factor among those in my industry is that we do fairly huge self-funded mileages. 1500 - 2000 miles a week in the busy season is normal. Many of us have regularly taken cars up to 200k in as little as 4 years. Remarkably few problems arise if they are kept maintained. Having said that, remarkably few arise with minimal maintainance actually. I think cars like being used.
Focus buying a high miler. - ifithelps
...I think cars like being used....

Agreed.

As regards buying an older car 'buy on condition, not mileage' are the watchwords.

Or, put another way, put a mental piece of masking tape over the odometer of each car you look at and just buy the best one.

Focus buying a high miler. - DP
Put 100k on a mk1 TDDi. Still drove like new at the end. Not a single breakdown or failure to start. One minor non-scheduled repair.
thanks everyone :) i didnt think it was a massive concern but just wanted to make sure :)
Focus buying a high miler. - bell boy
a focus will always be doing miles in its first 3/5 years in the main
so i would rather see 100,000 miles with paperwork than a clocked tatter
Focus buying a high miler. - AlastairW
That said, if is just under 100K it will be due to have a cambelt change in the near future.
Focus buying a high miler. - L'escargot
A 2 litre petrol Focus is hardly stressed.

And they're reasonably economical. My current 03/03 2 litre Ghia, driven spiritedly, has averaged 37.3 mpg over 45,000 miles since new. And that's a genuine overall average, with every drop of petrol used being recorded.
Focus buying a high miler. - ifithelps
...has averaged 37.3 mpg over 45,000 miles since new...

Don't tell Westpig - he'll never believe you. :)

Edited by ifithelps on 23/05/2009 at 09:15

regarding the cam belt does anyone know what the interval is for this and how much its likely to cost??
Focus buying a high miler. - AlastairW
As mentioned above the cambelt interval is 100k or ten years, whichever is sooner. I am lead to believe it would cost about £150 inc tensioners etc.
Focus buying a high miler. - Jason74
I would agree with those who say don't worry too much about mileage on a decnt sized modern car, provided that you have a good service history. My last car was an R plate 2.0 Mondeo, that I bought at just under four years old, with 115k on the clock. However, it was a one owner car with a full history. I ran it for 6 years (continuing to get it serviced every year), taking the mileage to 195k, and the only things that went in that time were a battery, and the clutch (original clutch went at 160k!).

It was starting to develop a couple of niggly faults when I traded it in two years ago, but I got rid mainly because it got a huge crack in the windscreen from a stone on the motorway. With only 3rd party insurance, it just wasn't worth replacing the screen (Ford quickclear job came out at close to £500!) given the value of the car. Incredibly though, the main mechanical bits still worked perfectly at 195k.

Focus buying a high miler. - jase1
My Primera has limited history, multiple owners and over 200K on the clock. It's X-reg and is rather tatty, and shows signs of having had a hard life.

You know what? It doesn't break down. Bits don't drop off and it always starts of a morning.

In short, it's about as close to indestructible as a consumer durable is ever likely to get.

Given that we are always told that Fords are as good as Japanese cars these days, I see no reason to believe that you are any more likely to run into trouble with a high-miler than anything else.

Just buy the car that you like and is at the right price.
Focus buying a high miler. - islandman
My son bought a 2002 1.6 focus ealier this year with 88k.

2 owners, FSH with invoices for last 4 years inc cambelt change last year and new discs/pads with major service. Also had 4 almost new Firestone Firehawks.

Car has been looked after and drives faultless.

So as many have said, don't be detered by mileage ---- it's the care and attention it's had during those miles.
Focus buying a high miler. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Not much help to you but I had a 51 plate 307 Hdi as a courtesy car yesterday, similar model to the one I had in for servicing. Really there was no way of detecting the mileage from condition except the shockers seemed a bit clunky and ineffective and although the aircon worked well, it made a bit of a racket if switched on with the engine idling. The interior trim (carpet) was a bit loose in places. That was it, with 123K recorded. I only drove it 80 miles but it pulled and ran well.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 27/05/2009 at 14:17