Inconsiderate hooting - gordonbennet
Picture the scene, 8am thismorning i'm delivering a couple of cars to a garage i haven't been to before.

Seaside town, garage on fairly busy road and the del instructions say to back into road beside garage to unload.

About 50 yards down the side road terraced houses start, so my back end is where the houses begin.

Now i am a considerate chap and try to make as little noise as possible and try not to inconvenience residents.
I pride meself on being quiet as possible, its always possible some poor souls are trying to get some kip, night or late workers etc, quite apart from keeping noise down anyway.

So i've gently performed, and just as i'm putting the gear away, young woman comes out of side road in car and gives big blast of her very loud hooter as a goodbye to someone else (bet she's a lovely thing when she's had 8 pints on a friday night...yuk)

I know we have to live with arrogant air-headed thoughtless fools, and its getting worse, but i might just as well have slammed everything around and made as much racket as i could.

What is all this hooting lark, and why are people so inconsiderate to others peace when they are in a car.
Inconsiderate hooting - Martin Devon
What is all this hooting lark and why are people so inconsiderate to others peace
when they are in a car.

You cannot educate PORK.

MD
Inconsiderate hooting - bathtub tom
When my kids were younger, we had a family opposite of Meditarranean origin. It seemed their guests could never arrive or depart without much horn tooting.

I knocked on their door and politely asked if they would request their visitors to refrain, particularly at night as it was waking my young children. Nothing changed.

I then tried politely asking each horn tooter to refrain each time it happened. Nothing changed.

I then sent a letter to the address informing them I would be making official complaints and collecting evidence at each occasion. I'd fire a flash gun whenever it happened.

They moved., apparently blaming the interfering old busybody across the road!
Inconsiderate hooting - stan10
I know the hooters [ any americans reading this ? ] :-) on my cars work because my cars keep passing their mot's.
Last time i can remember using my car's horn is back in the early '70s, during a short spell of mini-cabbing ..... " just pull up outside the flats, honk your horn and they will come out to you " ..

Inconsiderate hooting - Manatee
Round here it's canal bridges of the hump backed variety. Lots of incontinent hornblowers seem to think it's a good idea to give a long blast before crossing, sometimes at a reckless speed, oblivious to the adjacent houses and their occupants.

Why don't they just slow down and have a look? I haven't come to any harm doing that for 17 years so they can hardly argue its a necessity to hoot.
Inconsiderate hooting - bell boy
its about the only time that i blow my horn if i cant see over a humpback bridge,
i also remember it was a question in the highway code the other answer was before you ripped a virgins heart out if i remember correctly
care of the young ones i believe?
Inconsiderate hooting - Bilboman
Painful personal experience of this.
I was unloading my car in an underground car park when a moron in a dark Mercedes pulled up and, as there were no free spaces around, asked me if I was about to vacate the parking space. Rather than open the window a crack and actually ask me, the brain dead cretin gave me an ear-splitting blast with his horn. (Imagine the echo underground with solid concrete walls.)
As luck would have it, I jerked in reaction and hit my elbow right on the edge of the open driver's door. It was extremely lucky for Mr Merc that I did not at that point have a loaded revolver handy as I would quite easily have blown his head off on the spot, which would have eased somewhat the numbing pain of an elbow swollen up with bursitis to the size of a tennis ball. I still get twinges nearly two years later.
Inconsiderate hooting - doctorchris
Beware, all you owls out there, this forum is out to get you!
Inconsiderate hooting - L'escargot
........ why are people so inconsiderate to others peace
when they are in a car.

I feel the same way about people who fit noisy non-standard exhaust systems to their car. Having an exhaust outlet the size of a drain pipe is not clever.
Inconsiderate hooting - grumpyscot
I feel the same way about people who fit noisy non-standard exhaust systems to their
car. Having an exhaust outlet the size of a drain pipe is not clever.

But filling it with a 5 second blast of expanding foam certainly silences them!
Inconsiderate hooting - captain chaos
I only use mine when someone blocks up a box junction. The urban equivalent of a centre lane hogger.
Inconsiderate hooting - b308
As one of those shift workers mentioned in the OP you can probably guess that the "saying goodbye" use of the horn and lazy taxi drivers drive me nuts...

And in answer to the horn and humps scenario, I would take great delight in getting you booked for misuse of the horn if you did that on the hump outside my house... if you want rid of them then contact the local council, don't take it out on the people who live there!
Inconsiderate hooting - sierraman
'Having an exhaust outlet the size of a drain pipe is not clever.'

And it sets off my car alarm.
Must admit to using my horn as a rebuke rather than a warning,sometimes I feel the ditherer in front of me needs waking up.Did use it properly yesterday on a blind bend,single lane with hedges either side.
Inconsiderate hooting - redviper
I dont need to set my alarm clock on a morning

Someone at the bottom of our street, gets a taxi to work, and every mornng at 7am on the dot the taxi pulls up outside the house and "PARP!! PARP!!"

the annoying thing is, i dont need to get up until about half 7 - 8 am :-(
Inconsiderate hooting - redviper
I feel the same way about people who fit noisy non-standard exhaust systems to their
car. Having an exhaust outlet the size of a drain pipe is not clever.

I Agree L'escargot i find them very annoying and stupid.
Inconsiderate hooting - Sulphur Man
This subject goes deeper than just attitudes, its a very English sensibility to react with annoyance and consternation at the smallest toot of someone else's horn. Driving in traffic, my wife will always bristle when a horn is sounded, and spend a good minute studying who honked whom, and why.

Whereas in France, Italy, Spain and most of Western Europe, the horn is used liberally and has it's own, simplistic, Morse-type language. A little 'parp' just to say 'hi, i'm here, can I have your attention' or a short double-parp as a 'hurry up', which is rarely taken as hostile. Only a prolonged hoot, broken up with red-faced gesticulation and hand gestures gets any sort of reaction from fellow road users. Continental drivers, particuarly in urban areas see the horn as a communicative device, and are generally numb to any offence it might cause. There's a strong argument that its an essential driving tool. Someone trying to drive through Rome without a horn would make slower progress than someone with.

Whereas us Islanders, the merest toot of a horn in a crowd of slow-moving traffice raises blood pressures ten-fold. Us Brits like our peace, quiet and routine. And the low rumble of a V8 of course....
Inconsiderate hooting - perro
>>> When my kids were younger, we had a family opposite of Meditarranean origin. <<

Mediterranean's are naturally noisy, they don't mean any harm its just the way they are
... I recall when were driving from Dover to Cadiz reroute to Tenerife where we lived,
I was very tired by the time we hit Southern Spain, we booked a night in this sort of Motel place and at 1-00am I was woken up by some Spaniards along the hall - it was some racket I can tell you ... I shouted as loud as I possibly could - NOISE! I'LL GIVE YOU ------- NOISE!! and I leapt out of bed (like a mad man) and created the mother of all rackets and ... you could hear a pin drop - for the rest of the night. ZZZZZZZZzzzzz