Lambing time - GroovyMucker
When did a tyre on a stick become the standard sign for lambing time?

Anyway, driving through Westmorland at the weekend we came across a pair of lambs which had got out of their field. They hadn't strayed far but we couldn't tell which field they'd come out of (gate on each side of the road). So we stopped the car and waited. The lambs then ran to one of the gates and, after a struggle, got back in and were reunited with their mother, and trotted off happily (anyone got a lump in his throat?).

This happened twice. Each time, the lambs remembered where they'd come from and with a bit of encouragement went back there. I hadn't realised they'd do it.

Of course, they might have been out again five minutes later.

We also saw a surprising number of dead lambs at the side of the road, but these were generally small ones.

[Public Information voice off]
Lambing time - loonykev
Not many lambs around here, but we do have the deer in Richmond Park to contend with. :)
Lambing time - Pugugly
(anyone got a lump in his throat?).

Yeah - chocked on me lamb burger.
Lambing time - Lud
A farmer friend shares some land with a waterworks. Walking near some disused workings one cold rainy day we heard a pathetic bleating from underground. A small lamb had somehow climbed into the end of a horizontal iron pipe about ten inches across projecting from an earth bank and gone about ten feet along it until stopped by a narrow place with a big stopcock in it. You could see the narrow place and the stopcock, under several feet of clear water, by opening the manhole on the bank above.

The lamb was too young to know how to walk backwards. You could see it looking over its shoulder and its bleats were getting weaker. Eventually the fire brigade turned up with a fire engine, two Land Rovers and a chief's civilian car. After about two hours they managed to use their chimney-fire equipment to get a sort of hook round the lamb and pull it out, looking like a piece of wadding that had been used to clean a gun barrel which in a way it was. It was a tricky operation which the lamb apparently survived and which seemed to give the firemen a lot of innocent pleasure. Couldn't help wondering though how much that newborn lamb, value maybe 50p, had just cost the taxpayer...
Lambing time - Alby Back
My ex boss was also a farmer. This had nothing to do with the business I worked for but he would quite often be seen with a sheep or some lambs in his car behind the dog guard. Sometimes he would arrive at work with a sheep in the car and come in to do something, forget about the sheep and leave it there all day. Car stank. Golf GTi as I recall.

I used to be able to get to my local more easily by cutting across a couple of fields. One night on the way back a particularly malevolent ram butted me in the crown jewels. Never really been able to have warm feelings about sheep since then unless the thought includes, mint or korma sauce.