stolen but recovered golf gti - bluemanc
hi all
help required i have just had my car recoverd after being stolen 2 weeks ago,the police tell me there is no damage to the car so the insurance company are going to have the locks changed and return the car to me after i pay my excess £500
if i was to part ex my car when it is returned would it come up on any hpi check at the dealers!

{typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/05/2009 at 20:34

stolen but recoverd golf gti - bell boy
why not get the car back and not
have the locks replaced (why are they being replaced anyway? did you get it back with no keys?)
and sell it as it is or trade it in
you would have to ask the insurance company if they are going to categorise it seeing as its going to cost a fair bit of money to sort out
stolen but recoverd golf gti - bluemanc
car was stolen with both sets of keys the police have recovered it and the insurance want to change the locks .i thought about just getting the locks changed myself but been told the price would be about £900.
i dont want the car back, the missus is refusing to have it back home incase we are robbed again.
so you have no keys then?
if you dont want to go the insurance way they cant make you
i can understand you dont want the car back at any price too
stolen but recoverd golf gti - Jonathan {p}
Two questions,
How many miles has it done from being stolen (potentially been abused or stolen and stored for a 'job')
What other damage is there that requires you to pay £500 excess? If its just the locks and you are going to sell it anyway, then why bother changing them, If you have to change them then surely an independent garage could do it for a fraction of that and you'd save on the excess. Also, if you don't claim on the insurance then there is no reason for it to be listed on the VCAR.
EDIT - my response was meant to be before yours. so you've answered one of my questions

Edited by Jonathan {p} on 12/05/2009 at 22:30

stolen but recoverd golf gti - stan10
>>>would it come up on any hpi check at the dealers!<<<

I used "mycarcheck" partly because they claim to inform you if a car has been stolen and recovered, even undamaged, whilst their competitors only flag cars that have been recovered damaged.
(Presumably they get this info from the police rather than the insurers?), so the answer would seem to be ... it could, depending on who does the check !
I used "mycarcheck" partly because they claim to inform you if a car has been
stolen and recovered even undamaged whilst their competitors only flag cars that have been recovered
damaged.
(Presumably they get this info from the police rather than the insurers?) so the answer
would seem to be ... it could depending on who does the check !

><<<<<<<<<
A spokeswoman for rival firm HPI explained: “Whether a car shows up on the register depends on its condition once it has been recovered. If it was undamaged it won’t be flagged up, as it won’t affect the value of the vehicle. However, if it was damaged we tell prospective buyers.”
at the end of the day everything comes down to money and mushrooms
as the OP asked he doesnt really want his golf showing as stolen recovered if no marker has been made as it will hit its worth in the market
mushrooms=sometimes its best to know nowt
stolen but recoverd golf gti - ifithelps
...the insurance company want to change the locks...

Pointless from your point of view if you're selling it.

Tell the insurance company it's going and they will no longer be insuring it.

They ought to give you a bit of time to get the deal done.
stolen but recoverd golf gti - Woodspeed
If you have no keys you will need to pay to get new keys, but if you have keys can the dealer not change the code for the central locking/alarm?
stolen but recoverd golf gti - Dave_TD
mushrooms=sometimes its best to know nowt

We are all mushrooms at work - they keep us in the dark, and feed us copious quantities of manure...

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 17/05/2009 at 01:21

stolen but recoverd golf gti - martint123
I thought it only went on the register if it was written off and sold as salvage.
An accident damaged car could cost 1000's of pounds to repair, but won't appear on the register if repaired by the insurer.
stolen but recoverd golf gti - bathtub tom
Local farmer's market was selling buffalo manure.

Brilliant! Not only are we being fed the stuff, some are even paying for it.
stolen but recoverd golf gti - Hamsafar
An HPI type check will probably show it as Stolen and Recovered, as this info is from the Police register, not the insurance.