Where did the old A1 go? - TimOrridge
Went to York the other day and my usual route for last 3-4 years has been up A1 and join new A1(M) and on to A64. On my way up I decided to have a look at what was the A162 (Old A1) as I cant remember the life of me how it went. All I remember is that you passed over the M62 (power station on left and services on right) then go past A645 and Ferrybridge slips and pass a Forte Posthouse services a few miles up. Anyway as I said I had a look but was surprised. After A162 peels off and you swing left slightly the dual carriageway just ends (turns in to a B road) and little roundabouts start then it just goes residential. Just went up a few roundabouts and turned round. Where did the road go? or has it been demolished. All I remember was dual carriageway to to Aberford (M1 A1 interchange). Have I been dreaming, it was only 5 years ago since I last went up that road?
Where did the old A1 go? - Tron
Try driving through the new layout in Sheffield then if you think finding the old A1 was difficult!

Did the same route planners have an absolute field day there too?

We went recently for an event at the Arena, not knowing about the extensive re routing that had taken place since the repairs to the roads after the floods a few years ago.

Even with a Snooper Satnav that has 2007/8 mapping software - we got totally lost.

Our main problem was avoiding the numerous 'traffic violation' camera's that monitor the bus, taxi, cycle and tram gate routes as the new routing prioritises their progress.

Where did the old A1 go? - daveyjp
Tim - I have never updated my GPS maps and they are dated 2002. The A1/M1 link is on, but after that if travelling north you get a really good idea of just how further east the new three lane A1 is from the old route. For many miles according to the GPS I'm driving through fields about half a mile east of the old route.

For an idea look on Google earth. The areas around Wetherby are from different years, you can see the new motorway junction, but the photos to the north havn't been updated.

I know some villages on the old route are now reunited after being cut in two once the A1 was upgraded to motroway standard.
If you mean turning right to follow A61 at end of the parkway just before park sq roundabout, I'm sorry that is brilliant. It takes 5-10 minutes now to get to Westside of Sheffield. Instead of queueing that time alone at west bar or going round the bottom ring road. I havent been near the arena area probably since before the floods so cant say what the changes are like. I hate Meadowhall roads with a vengence so wont go near it.

Edited by TimOrridge on 12/05/2009 at 11:51

All my curiosities have been answered with this

www.highways.gov.uk/roads/documents/12_newsletter4...f

You can see from google earth, the village of Fairburn the green corridor that passes straight through the village even now.