It could happen to any of us... - ifithelps
This one raises some interesting questions, experienced driver, new car, driving steadily, clips cyclist who later dies.

What happened next?

Read on....

tinyurl.com/pu34p9

It could happen to any of us... - Manatee
The driver got off very lightly, considering he was unqualified. I'm not sure I agree that it could happen to any of us, unless you mean being knocked off one's bike. As a cyclist myself I always give them a wide berth when driving, but I am frequently appalled at the way some drivers squeeze by cyclists.
...I'm not sure I agree that it could happen to any of us...

I meant fail to see a cyclist on a roundabout.

Shouldn't happen, I agree, but I think it's a fairly easy mistake to make.

Mention was made in court of the A-pillar blind spot on the car.

It could happen to any of us... - freakybacon
As a cyclist its very disappointing that once again an accident- with an unqualified driver operating a ton of lethal machinery- results in the death of an innocent party and no custodial sentence.
It could happen to any of us... - Mr X
What qualifications do cyclists hold to be able to use the roads. For that matter, what qualifications do horse riders and mobility scooter users hold.?
It could happen to any of us... - b308
None are required but there is nothing to indicate that the cyclist was in the wrong in this case... and they were using the roads before cars, as were horse riders!

Edited by b308 on 09/05/2009 at 10:46

...nothing to indicate that the cyclist was in the wrong...

True, although he was not wearing a helmet, which the law (not me) says the defendant is entitled to put forward in mitigation.

The cyclist died from head injuries about 14 days after the collision.
It could happen to any of us... - movilogo
That's why I ride cycles on footpath as much possible [not in densely populated area so no frequent interaction with pedestrians].

It could happen to any of us.
tinyurl.com/2nvhbd
It could happen to any of us... - bell boy
Misleading title
we are all law abiding on here and are all both insured and fully licencsed and sensible, so you wouldnt go round a roundabout behind a bike but you would give him more room.
..Misleading title...

Guy said he 'just didn't see' the cyclist.

Surely anyone who's ever had a road accident could identify with that?

I'd go further and say any motorist could identify with it.

It could happen to any of us... - freakybacon
Mr. X makes a fair point about non-qualification regarding cyclists and mobility scooters- but they are not in control of devices capable of 70mph+ whilst insulated from the elements. The only real mitigating circumstance is the cyclist was not wearing a helemet- and as I can hit 30mph+ speeds down hill on my ride to work, although not compulsory, helmets make common sense.
It could happen to any of us... - tack
Mr X. Not sure why you bother coming onto this site as you really have nothing to add either by way of informed comment or by way of humour. Why can't you deal with the one subject we are discussing? The dead cyclist was not behaving in the way the cyclist was in the article you linked to. I think you are being very unkind.

You appear to be an amalgam of Basil Fawlty, Alf Garnet, David Brent and Gordon Brittas but without any of the nice bits. I do wish you would just go away!
Tough. I'm as much entitled to my opinion as you are to your pointless contribution.
It could happen to any of us... - davmal
"What qualifications do cyclists hold to be able to use the roads"

Same qualifications as the driver that killed the cyclist, apparently.
- ifithelps you are missing the fact the man has no licence so you are assuming he is up to driving standards
how can he be if he has only ever held a provissional licence?
he might never had had a proper driving lesson in his life
the man is undefendable and a total cad
...ifithelps you are missing the fact the man has no licence so you are assuming he is up to driving standards...

bell boy,

Obviously not all information can be included in a press report, but it was said in court this guy had been driving for eight years, albeit on a provisional, and as such was an experienced driver.

I agree with you about the licence, he has never taken a test so has never reached the required standard.

But in the Alice in Wonderland world of the Crown Court he was able to claim to be a safe and experienced driver.

It could happen to any of us... - sierraman
And if a cyclist rides into a car they are unlikely to kill the driver,I am suprised Mr X did not mention that they do not pay so called 'road tax'.
and im a rocket scientist
but havent got a diploma to prove it
i did split an atom in my shed last week though your honour :-)
It could happen to any of us... - Rattle
I had an a word with one of my chavy nieghbours last year he was telling me he is a good driver init so doesn't need to take the test, I politely told him that if he is a good driver he should take the test just to stop him getting into trobule with the police all the time.

I have taken the test and passed but I am still not up to standard. It requires a lot of experience. As for cyclists I always try and make an effort to look for them when puling out etc.

At the end of the day if you're driving ilegal and you cause death you should be put in prison.

Edited by Rattle on 09/05/2009 at 12:21

It could happen to any of us... - Martin Devon
>>As a cyclist myself I always give them a wide berth when driving but
I am frequently appalled at the way some drivers squeeze by cyclists.

And the way some cyclists think that they are invincible!!

MD
It could happen to any of us... - Optimist
Odd story.

I can't see why anyone would - at the age of 50 - be driving on a provisional licence he'd held for eight years. Or want to.

And - in general terms and not in relation to what happened here - I thought that the full licence holder sitting by the provisional licence holder had to keep an eye out generally to try to ensure accidents didn't happen.

As to the cyclist: he may not have been wearing a helmet but that's not against the law. Unlicensed driving is.

It could happen to any of us... - GroovyMucker
It might happen to any of us - anything might happen

but I don't see anything in the report which says this was an experienced driver - quite the reverse, in fact

and one who hadn't tried/troubled to pass a test

His partner was in the passenger seat, she has no licence, so is not qualified to supervise him.

We were not told why he had not taken a test, but we were told he had been driving without incident on his provisional for eight years.

He was sober and passed a police eyesight test.
It could happen to any of us... - Bromptonaut
I cannot agree that the cyclist's failure to wear a helmet is any sort of mitigation. He's still have gone unseen and been hit 12-15 mph is pretty much the upper limit at which a helmet will help. It could also be pointed out that the pedestrian hiy by the nutter riding on the pavement died of head injuries that a helmet might have prevented but it would be ridculous to suggest we all keep one bt the front door.

I'd be happy to wear one if my cyling was off-road or doing tricks on a BMX. As a commuter in London I'd rather have my hearing and peripheral vision complete and take my chances with head injury.

My last but one job involved a lot of contact with the brain injured. A couple of dozen car accidents, and iseveral ndustrial nasties that make you think the Health and Safety Act was never there. Sozzled folks who thought it sensible to walk back from the pub were also heavily represented - but I only ever came across one cycle accident victim.
It could happen to any of us... - FocusDriver
It never ceases to amaze me just how sanctimonious some people can be when considering something like this. A custodial sentence? What the hell would that achieve? Only that momentary lapses of concentration can kill, which we all know, and that the family of the poor cyclist will feel better.

Even the most pompous amongst us cannot tell me that they've never suffered such a blip. I won't believe you - not that that would or should alter anyone's opinion of course.

The driver is a prize idiot for not having a license and should have a very hefty fine but a custodial sentence would be daft, inappropriate and counter-productive. He'll regret his half-second mistake until he dies himself, while some commenters here won't be happy until one day they're locked up for something entirely unexpected and similarly tragic.

So what if cyclists have been on the roads for marginally longer than motorists? It's a bit like tell me that I can't park outside my house on a public road because I've only just moved in and the neighbours prefer to park there and feel entitled to do so because they've lived there for 25 years. It's the stuff of retired old men.

Still Angry of Reigate
FocusDriver im incredulous that you dont think a custodial sentance is appropiate
i suppose all the other laws in the land are worthless too
maybe if you get hit by an uninsured driver like my family have and had to pay repairs out of your pocket you might change your high and mighty tune
its amazing what an empty wallet does to the senses

i feel devastated for the family who suffered a loss,obviously you in your ivory tower never get to see real life on the pavement level

signed ,someone who cares
bell boy, you make a series of incorrect assumptions in your post I'm afraid.

Firstly, by seemingly infering that YOU care while I do not (not just an inference in your case it has to be said) is almost inhuman. Certainly very twisted.

i suppose all the other laws in the land are worthless too
Assumption No. 2. This is not about whether laws should exist, it is whether or not a motorist who is a pratt of the first order should be sent to prison for a mistake, a mistake with very grave consequences, but a mistake all the same.

maybe if you get hit by an uninsured driver like my family have and had to pay repairs out of your pocket you might change your high and mighty tune
Assumption 3. This happened in a car I was travelling in as a child. My parents had to pay but then again I was 7.

obviously you in your ivory tower never get to see real life on the pavement level

Assumption No. 4. Do I never cycle then? SO it's all been a hallucination?

And you're incredulous at me...
A custodial sentence? What the hell would that achieve?

It would make it clear that driving while unqualified is just not worth it. I don't think you can ignore that aspect of this case. Who's to say that if he had been a properly trained and examined driver, the same thing would have happened?

I think I'm pretty good at driving after four pints, but I wouldn't expect much mercy if I was involved in this kind of accident while doing so. Driving with excess alcohol, or no licence, is not unpremeditated. Jail would have been appropriate IMO.
It could happen to any of us... - Robin Reliant
I'm not normally in favour of custodial sentences for motoring accidents resulting from the sort of lapse in concentration that we are all guilty of from time to time, but in the case of someone like this guy who is knowingly flouting the law I think he should have gone away. Everyone knows that demonstrating the ability to pass a basic test of driving is essential before anyone is allowed to take charge of a car, and this dangerous clown is unfortunately one of a considerable number who think they are above the rules which apply to the rest of us.
It could happen to any of us... - Rattle
When I read it though I got the impression he was a casual driver that always drove supervised but then his wife did get done for allowing him to drive the car yet he didn'tr get done for not having valid insurance. I think there is a lot more to this story that we don't know about.
It could happen to any of us... - Ben 10
"Obviously not all information can be included in a press report, but it was said in court this guy had been driving for eight years, albeit on a provisional, and as such was an experienced driver."

So he had a PROVISIONAL license for 8 years. How often did he drive on his own in that time. And he might of only drove once a month for that time or once a year. Just because he had a license for the 8 years doesn't make him an experienced driver.If he was that experienced he would have passed a test in that time. The fact is his actions led to the death of someone. The cyclist could have died even wearing a helmet. The provisional drivers luck ran out and as such should have gained a custodial sentence. Not suspended. In these circumstances the drivers should be given a choice, do the time, or license revoked for 10 years.

When I watch the array of "traffic" cop type programmes on the TV I am astonished by the numbers of drivers pulled over driving on provisional licenses. There should be a minimum time to undertake a test on such a license, say 18 months. Any test failure could extend the provisional by a month. So either they pass or fork out long term financially (lessons/tests).
It could happen to any of us... - bathtub tom
The report says the car was the unlicensed passenger's mobility car.

Presumably the pasenger didn't have insurance. So how would it have been taxed and aren't any checks carried out?
It could happen to any of us... - bathtub tom
Bromptonaut.

Have you tried modern cycling helmets?

Mine has nothing covering the ears (they still get just as cold), or obstructing peripheral vision - it's like a pudding basin, all above ear level. A further advantage of modern ones is they usually have a peak, perfect for riding into the sunset ;>)
The report says the car was the unlicensed passenger's mobility car. >>

No. The report says it was his partner's mobility car. That she was the front seat passenger at the time of the accident. That she was done for permitting an unlicensed person to drive the car.

So she must have held a licence herself in order to get the car on the road.

Edited by Optimist on 09/05/2009 at 17:04

...So she must have held a licence herself in order to get the car on the road...

No, she had no licence.

It was a Motability car to which she was entitled because of her disability.

She got the car on the scheme on the basis a qualified driver would be driving it.
It could happen to any of us... - the swiss tony
...So she must have held a licence herself in order to get the car on
the road...
No she had no licence.

ifithelps, do you know more about this case than is stated in the OP link?
I have reread it a number of times, and cannot see where it says the woman DIDNT have a full licence.

until you confirm or deny more knowledge, may I put a slightly different take on this?

woman is disabled, but is able to drive.
her partner has a provisional licence, and has taken lessons, but not passed a test.
couple are out, when lady is taken ill, feels unsafe to drive.
man decides (unlawfully) to drive home/doctors/hospital.
man on cycle is hit by car, blame unknown, could be bike swerved, could be driver just didnt see him.

in that scenario, then the title of this thread IS correct, it could happen, be us in a car, as an unlawful driver, as a ill passenger, or as a cycle rider........
...ifithelps, do you know more about this case than is stated in the OP link?...

swiss tony,

Yes, I was in court for reasons that are not important here, although I didn't write the report.

It's a public court, of course, so I only heard what any member of the public would have heard if they happened to wander into the public gallery.

As I said earlier, the partner doesn't have a licence which is why he also admitted 'driving otherwise than in accordance with his licence'.

If she had a full licence, she could supervise the defendant and no such offence would have been carried out.

It could happen to any of us... - Lud
pass a basic test of driving is essential before anyone is allowed to take charge of a car, and this dangerous clown

But, RR, not having passed the test does not make a person a dangerous clown. And we all know that passing it doesn't stop someone from being one. I wouldn't call this driver one without knowing a lot more about what had happened.

The court very clearly thought this was the result of an unfortunate combination of circumstances, rather than an accident provoked by someone's dangerous driving. The driver didn't try to flee and presumably showed decent remorse (which would be profound in such a case). No need for jail, no point in it. Anyway that was the court's opinion.

Believe me, anyone can clip a bicycle. I've done it myself. And I've seen two-wheeler riders bring dangerous disaster on themselves with little help from surrounding traffic.

Very sad case, which the court decided, probably rightly, not to make even sadder with a vengeful populist sentence.
You are quite correct lud, not passing the test does not automatically make someone a dangerous clown. But it bypasses the system which ensures that those of below a very basic ability are not allowed on the roads unsupervised, and driving for eight years without licence or valid insurance is about a premeditated a way of sticking two fingers up at the rest of us as it gets.

Assuming the facts are as reported, the guy can consider he got a right result.
Lud, you'll not thank me but your post at 16.16 is what I should have said in the first place without getting all flustered and blotchy. Very well put.
Manatee, if you're not taxed or insured or licensed, this is a big problem which needs dealing with severely and I agree with the thrust of what you say - in spirit.

Why not, then, make prison sentences mandatory for people who drive without these bits of paper? And, before that, make driving tests even more stringent? Because, if we do then the chances of cyclists/pedestrians being mown down by errant drivers would be reduced. I could support that, but not the bandwagon-jumping only when a person is killed in unfortunate circumstances.

Maybe I'm of a specific view when it comes to road deaths. Unless a contract is out on someone who is intentionally killed, I just can't understand the mentality of punishing someone so heavily for being involved in such a hideous incident. If the fine for driving without insurance is £60 and 3 points, then making it SUCH an issue of the same when a tragedy occurs seems like a retroactive way of dealing with things. There's little deterrent i the first place - maybe to you and I but not to people to whom the police are known by their first-names.

Incidentally, talk of drink-driving isn't relevant to this specific case. If the guy had been drunk then I'd not be saying any of this.
It could happen to any of us... - BobbyG
The other side of this concerns the suitability of prison.
I belive it costs the taxpayer £1000 per week or thereabouts for each prisoner. Drugs etc are rife in prison, there is a high percentage of people who come out of prison druggies that weren't when they went in.

Would be so much better to have a much more efficient Community Service set up that meant they actually put something back in the community rather than the current CS set up.
The point about the drink driving was that both it and driving unqualified are something that the driver decides to do before there are any consequences. He has wilfully ignored the statutory requirement to pass a test before driving.

There was a recent case where a lorry driver fell asleep and caused a (non-fatal) accident. I believe he was jailed for a year though IIRC he was within his hours and legal - he should have known he was tired, therefore unfit to drive, and stopped before he fell asleep was I think the reason for the sentence. And on that occasion no-one died. As you know lorry drivers have been jailed for 5 years after fatal falling asleep incidents.

It's true that cyclist's are often their own worse enemies, and I am aware that the circumstances may be more complex than we know, but other things being equal I would expect to see this man and his colluding partner, who also seemingly got a car through deception, severely dealt with.

The question of whether one should be jailed just for driving without a valid licence is an old chestnut - should we be punished for the act or the consequences? I think it's fairly well established that consequences count.

He shouldn't have been driving, but he was and somebody died when he hit them. Five years would not be too much for this driver, based on other sentences that have been passed, though I wouldn't have gone that far myself.

Edited by Manatee on 09/05/2009 at 17:47

I agree, it's willfully negligent. But why is the penalty for drink driving not 5 years? Currently, society is saying that drink-driving is criminal and very dangerous and we'll ban you for a year (in most cases, though not all) and have, say £500 off you. You won't go to prison if you've been LUCKY enough to have not killed anyone.

Anyway, this case does NOT involve a drunk-driver and, given the emotional response we all have to those which do, it's really not relevant here; otherwise we'd subject those who without insurance etc to the same sentence. Alcohol has a very strong effect on reflexes and judgement, not so paperwork, necessary though it is. If you're going to discriminate between who should go to prison, then it seems fair to do the same when it comes to differences in consequences.

Other than that, you don't seem to agree or disagree with much of what I said, perferring instead to reassert what you said originally.

Edited by FocusDriver on 09/05/2009 at 17:57

It could happen to any of us... - Andrew-T
He shouldn't have been driving, but he was and somebody died when he hit them

Yes. But if the hit cyclist had been only slightly injured, how is the driver's offence any different? He would be in jail for being unlucky. I think he deserves a severe fine or some C-S, as suggested above.

Jail is for (a) punishing the offender and preventing him repeating the offence, e.g. burglary, drug-dealing; (b) protecting the public from a severe public threat, e.g. a rapist; and as a deterrent, 'pour encourager les autres'. I suppose the present case could be argued to fit any or all of these, but I would avoid the knee-jerk reaction which says 'he killed someone - clink'.
It could happen to any of us... - ForumNeedsModerating
From the the limited press report, it seems the judge used his/her discretion in this case. I'm sure that causing death by careless driving can attract a substantial custodial sentence (viz, the suspended sentence he received was 2 years) - but the facts, circumstances & overall context must have persuaded the court that a primary custodial sentence wasn't justified or useful - either for the defendant or the more general serving of justice.

It seems the driver showed true remorse ( the report mentions a suicide attempt, psychiatric treatment & giving up his job..), not that that eases, necessarily, the pain of the family left behind, but you would hope it makes it easier to comes to terms with.

The minutiae & exact circumstances (from my limited reading) aren't explained, so it's difficult to comment - but you must assume that when the term 'momentary lapse' is used in summimg up, the accident happened without much warning or ability of the parties to do much to avoid it. So it doesn't seem it was the culmination of a sequence of errors or careless/bad driving - this must have weighed in the sentencing too.

I'm not for one nanosecond excusing or condoning unqualified & uninsured drivers, but just trying to understand the reasoning & circumstances that might make a such seemingly 'open & shut case' not so open & shut.

Maximum for death by careless is five years.

The judge referred to guidelines issued by the Sentencing Guideline Council.

He said this case fell between what the council calls a level three and level two offence.

The suggested penalty for a level two offence is prison, the suggested penalty for a level three offence is a community sentence.

A witness behind the driver said he was doing 15/20mph 'driving normally' when he pulled onto the roundabout and clipped the cyclist.

The judge said he accepted the circumstances as outlined, a straightforward 'I didn't see you' collision.

I can't see where the info is that the owner of the motability car didn't have a licence. Is that in the story? What conclusion do we draw if that's the case? If she couldn't generally drive the car who generally did?

It couldn't happen to any of us because we don't drive unlicenced and presumably uninsured?

The curfew is an intersting aspect of the sentence. Any thoughts on that?

...I can't see where the info is that the owner of the motability car didn't have a licence. Is that in the story? What conclusion do we draw if that's the case? If she couldn't generally drive the car who generally did?...

Optimist,

I think many disabled people get a Motability car for their partner to drive them around.

The circumstances of the supply of this car probably don't bear too close an inspection, because I believe the supplying dealer should only release the car to someone with a full licence.

As regards the curfew, the judge said it was imposed as an element of punishment.

When she got the car she will have named up to two drivers, according to the Motability stuff we have for my wife's car NO-ONE else can drive it - not even if they have a fully comprehensive insurance that could cover the car - that is part of the Motability Contract - but they don't mention driving without insurance, just driving on a provisional without supervision - so he could be a named driver but only able to drive if another person who has a full licence is in the passenger seat - obviously that would not be her, so i assume there is someone else who was not with them that day.

As regards other drivers, she's in her 50s so its quite possible that a relative (son or daughter) could have been the other named driver - thats what we have done on my wife's car, she can't drive so the named drivers are me and our eldest daughter.

As far as I can see the title of the thread "It could happen to us" purely relates to the fact that a momentary lack of concentration could result in someone getting killed... and ifithelps is quite right on that point, I'm sure we can all think of occassions where we have said "There but for the grace of..." under our breaths when reading of such tragedies...
...As far as I can see the title of the thread "It could happen to us" purely relates to the fact that a momentary lack of concentration could result in someone getting killed...

b308,

Yes, that was all I was thinking about when I came up with the thread title.

Thanks for the info on the Motability scheme.

I suspect this guy was a named driver, and, as you say, could drive the car legally on his provisional provided there was someone with a full licence in the passenger seat.
It could happen to any of us... - bonzodog
Focus Driver - "He'll regret his half-second mistake". But it wasn't a mistake, It was careless driving. He drove without giving the correct level of attention that directly caused the death of an innocent road user. In reality he's no better than the guy who drives at 80 past a school at home time or the drunk who falls out of the pub after 15 pints & starts his car.

Why did he get a slap on the wrist? Because as you suggest, we are all capable of it and if we were to take people to task for their behaviour then even more of the GBP would find themselves locked up. Mind you the roads would be safer for me to go cycling.

People should be responsibe for their behaviour or face very serious consequences
So you have never had momentary loss of concentration and just missed having an accident, B?

I'd be careful where you are leading yourself there m8, as none of us are perfect and you (or I) could be the next to miss seeing that cyclist/pedestrian/other car....
Exactly b308, the "it could happen to anyone" gives everyone an excuse.

People will behave as they want to UNLESS there is reason not to & killing someone by accident (???) is unfortunately not a good enough reason to drive carefully as all it gets you a telling off.
People will behave as they want to UNLESS there is reason not to & killing
someone by accident (???)

Am I right in saying then that if you went out in your car tomorrow and had a "momentary lapse of concentration" and killed someone you would expect to go to jail, and you previously unblemished record of driving should be totally ignored?

If thats the way you feel I think we'll agree to differ...

One thing I like about the law in this country is that things are not as "black and white" as you would want...

One other thing that I don't like about this country is the way the Press manipulate a story so that we end up arguing about something where we don't have all the facts that lead the Judge to make the decision he did... like this case!! ;)
bonzodog

In reality he's no better than the guy who drives at 80 past a school at home time or the drunk who falls out of the pub after 15 pints & starts his car.

Did you really mean to post that comment? How much forethought did you apply before comparing the two disparate circumstances?

I don't know if you're a religious man/woman but you'd be advised to pray like there's no tomorrow because tomorrow, a series of unfortunate events could well put you in the position of cyclist killer, despite your being a most excellent driver:

But it wasn't a mistake, It was careless driving

So you've NEVER made any mistakes while driving? Or, if you have, do you agree that this would make you as fallible as the rest of us since you are guilty of the careless driving you ascribe to the subject?
driver:
But it wasn't a mistake It was careless driving
So you've NEVER made any mistakes while driving? Or if you have do you agree
that this would make you as fallible as the rest of us since you are
guilty of the careless driving you ascribe to the subject?

I really cant believe anyone can be THAT self-righteous.... bonzodog, there is a VERY thin line between a 'mistake' and 'careless driving' Im sure ALL of us drivers have been guilty of doing one, and most probably both, at some time in our driving lives.... hopefully we have been lucky and got away with harming anyone.... and hopefully we never will......
It could happen to any of us... - tack
If the driver of the car has a shred of decency or concience, the death of the cyclist will be the last think he thinks of as he drifts off to sleep and the first thing he thinks of when he awakes, each and every day for a long time. That may well be enough punishment to add to the official retribution meted out by the court. My own view is that prison serves as protection for us on the outside of the walls AND as punishment to some truly horrible pond life.

Each and every one of us has a right to go about our business without being wiped up by a ton and a bit of metal, whether we are on a bike, crossing the road or standing idly on a pavement chatting away to someone. The lack of a helmet in my view is a red herring. If the driver of the car had been obeying the law, the conspiracy of circumstances (i.e. being in the right place at the wrong time) would not have happened and the cyclist would be alive today.

The guy has been described as an experienced driver. Who taught him? Whose bad habits had he picked up? Having said that, his driving may well have been better than that of someone who has official sanction by passing the SATS equivalent in the driving world, i.e. the test. There are legions of stories on this site regarding poor and dangerous driving by people who have passed the test.

In any event, the moving finger writes and we cannot turn the clock back. Someone is missing from someone else's life, and that pain will last a very long time indeed. However much we chunter on from the comfort of our armchairs, the cold, cold fact is that someone is not at home with his family and never will be. THAT is the thing that could happen to any one of us.
If the driver of the car has a shred of decency or concience the death
of the cyclist will be the last think he thinks of as he drifts off
to sleep and the first thing he thinks of when he awakes each and every
day for a long time.

As he has attempted suicide I would say it is his 1st and last thought of the day....

>>If the driver of the car had been obeying the law the conspiracy of circumstances (i.e. being in the right place at the wrong time) would not have happened and the cyclist would
be alive today.

Not sure I can agree with that, if it hadnt been him, it just may have been you, or me, or anyone... maybe a Police driver? maybe a bus? maybe the cyclist would still be alive - no one will ever know...... what happened, happened, and fate was, that the car that hit the bike was driven by an illegal driver - ever seen the film 'sliding doors'?
However much we chunter on from the comfort of our armchairs the cold cold
fact is that someone is not at home with his family and never will be.
THAT is the thing that could happen to any one of us.

>>

That is so true, and as someone has already said... 'By the Grace........'

Edited by the swiss tony on 09/05/2009 at 20:03

I'm clearer on the motability thing now. Thanks.

I can't help thinking that if I were driving along unlicensed and uninsured I'd be a bit distracted. But then I'm law-abiding, so what do I know?

My point is that the two people in the car must have known the whole thing was illegal. One with no licence. One unlicensed. Somebody died.

I don't want or intend to sound too horribly sanctimonious, but if the people in the car had just obeyed the law (got a cab, perhaps?) the bloke on the bike would probably have got home.

If I'd have been a relative, I'd have been extremely angry at the sheer, pointless waste.

Is the assumption from this that if the driver had held a licence, the cyclist would still be alive ? If it is, I disagree with that statement as licence drivers kill quite a few people if we believe the figures fed to the media.
Swiss Tony - " Im sure ALL of us drivers have been guilty of doing one" & that is why it is regarded as unfortunate mistake rather than an unforgivable error. 40 years ago killing someone when DD was regarded as such, as most drivers would over-indulge at some point & DD was regarded as one of those things that a majority of the driving population did; fortunately we've progressed.

Tell me (genuine question, I'm not trying to be facitious), would you regard it as simply a tragic mistake if a rail worker failed to repair the railway lines correctly & life was lost as a result or an airline maintenance man missed a fault which led to an air crash. If so then we agree to disagree. Or if not then is the difference that unlike the train or aircraft worker, most have us might be in the situation where we may kill a cyclist?
Tell me (genuine question I'm not trying to be ) would you regard it as
simply a tragic mistake if a rail worker failed to repair the railway lines correctly
& life was lost as a result or an airline maintenance man missed a fault
which led to an air crash. If so then we agree to disagree. Or if
not then is the difference that unlike the train or aircraft worker most have us
might be in the situation where we may kill a cyclist?

facitious or not...... both of those things you mention have happened, and will happen again.
it is terrible when they do, or in fact when anything happens, that results in damage, injury or loss of life.
but... I am realistic, or at least I try to be.
accidents, misjudgements, mistakes, c***ups.... they do happen.... and no matter what laws, rules, procedures are put in place, they will still happen.
that sadly, is a fact of life.

I have had friends, relatives, loved ones, in accidents , more than one fatal - it is gut wrenching - you do want someone to blame - and sometimes there is someone who is to blame - but that wont make things right again....
life is about living, and dying, and basically we have to live with whatever brown stuff hits the fan - and sometimes... we are the ones that throw it...
Im human, I make mistakes..... if you dont..... your a LOT better than me.
Is the assumption from this that if the driver had held a licence the cyclist
would still be alive ? If it is I disagree with that statement as licence
drivers kill quite a few people if we believe the figures fed to the media.

No, the asumption is that if this driver hadn't been on the road - where he was not entitled to be - then the cyclist would still be alive.
It could happen to any of us... - Andrew-T
Each and every one of us has a right to go about our business without being wiped up by a ton and a bit of metal ...

No, I don't think we do - we have a right to 'go about out business' and to use the public roads, which are a space occupied by people and all kinds of vehicles. We have a right to hope that we will complete our journeys intact, but we all know that tragically often something else intervenes. The right, as you describe it, is not realistic; and occasionally no-one can be held absolutely responsible.
It could happen to any of us... - slowdown avenue
surely the fine should be more. the driving test fees would work out higher. sends out wrong message as usual. drive illegally , kill someone, and its cheaper than doing it legally
It could happen to any of us... - pmc1
Do we treat our driving too lightly?
As in driving without concentrating as we should?
Does this cause accidents and near misses?
Just because we don't give driving the attention it deserves doesn't mean that it's o.k.
Yes I'm as guilty of driving while daydreaming as anybody but it shouldn't be any sort of defence for somebody like me, and plenty of other people, who get upset if anyone else was to criticise my/our driving.
And on a slightly different note how do car manufacturers get away with producing cars with such thick A pillars?
Yes they make the car safer to be in but at the expense of one of the most important assets of safe driving - the ability to see what is going on around you.
Still, if you do have an accident you might be o.k. - never mind about the poor person you failed to see.

pmc
It could happen to any of us... - RichieW
I would just like to say what a great debate (and forum) this is. Lots of diverse opinions here and the thread hasn't got silly despite the potential. Possibly the best and most "grown up" debate on the web.