Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - seismic22
Hi there,

I currently drive a VW Golf Gti 16v mk3 with 100,000 miles on it. The thing is bomb proof and a good mix of performance and comfort. With 150bhp and weighing only 1150kg its not as quick as modern hot hatches but its no slow coach!

Im a final year uni student a bit of a petrol head and skint. The golf does ok on fuel seeing as im quite heavy footed but as im really poor at the moment im thinking i should get something diesel until i finish uni and start a real job!

My question is, can anyone suggest any diesels that i could get for for £1000 or less that are good on fuel and could be kind of fun to drive. I have been looking at Peugeot 306 turbo diesels which do handle great but even with good torque, only having 90bhp is a bit of a big step down in performance! I am happy to accept a bit of a drop in performance but i dont want to be forever willing it to shift a bit more! Also i know many diesels like the golf are fine for 200,000 plus miles but i would rather something nearer the 100,000 mile mark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - Hamsafar
You're asking for the moon on a stick. If I was you I'd keep what you've got. You lose money when you sell a car, lose money when you buy a car, lose money running a car.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - stunorthants26
Pug 306 sounds like a good idea. It may not have the same outright performace, but in gear shove will be superior.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - cjehuk
306 TD is very good but isn't going to be as quick as your Golf as you identify. Most anything you can get in that price bracket isn't going to be as quick. You'll lose more money changing car than you'll save on diesel. Stick with the Golf and learn to drive "quickly and cheaply". This involves getting up to speed and concentrating on not losing it instead of heavy braking/acceleration.

FWIW the difference over 10000 miles between a Golf GTI doing say 30mpg and a hard driven 306TD doing 40mpg is just £270 (Petrol at 92.9p, Diesel at 99.9p). That's 2.7p a mile cheaper for the diesel, but if it costs you that to change then you'll be out of pocket. From one recent graduate to another soon to be graduate - keep the car you got and learn to use the performance when you want to and control yourself at other times.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - Avant
"The golf does ok on fuel seeing as im quite heavy footed"

I think you've answered your own question. Unlike some high-performance petrol engines, the Golf can be driven gently as well. Just challenge yourself to see what you can do with less movement of the accelerator - it can be quite fun in itself.

As others have said, you'll be out of pocket if you change, particularly as it seems you've got a good one. And for £1000 it'll be a lottery, more so for high-performance cars which will be near the end of their useful life. Keep the Golf and look after it - you should find it won't depreciate more than it has already.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - MikeTorque
If you're really skint then you can save fuel by driving with a lighter right foot, and use a push bike and walk whenever you can. Do you really really need a car ?

I got through Uni. without a car, used public transport, walked and cycled everywhere I needed to go, worked hard during holidays and finished finals year with no debt and a positive bank balance.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - stunorthants26
>>Do you really really need a car ?<<

Wash your mouth out!! :-)
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - L'escargot
I got through Uni. without a car used public transport walked and cycled everywhere I
needed to go worked hard during holidays and finished finals year with no debt and
a positive bank balance.

Me too.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - jetta
By all means keep the Golf GTI That 16V engine is a super mix of power and economy. Just be sure the cam belt is in good condition and adjusted. Alter your driving style, remove the lead from your throttle foot. If that does not work, get the chip programed for economy. There are many little things such as timing setting, efficient air filter, wheel alignment, proper tyre pressure, etc. that can contribute to fuel economy. Just remember,, the grass is always greener till you get there and find that it is astro-turf.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - Old Navy
As said above, learn to drive your current car properly, accelerator control is as important as clutch control. "Make progress" smoothly, anticipate, and use your brakes as little as possible, you can still "have fun" and save dramatically on fuel. Its just another skill.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - xtrailman
Or catch a bus?
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - John F
.....cheap, powerful and economical ....

This is a bit like the diesel car conundrum. They can be variously quiet, fast and economical - but you can only ever have 2 out of the 3!
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - ForumNeedsModerating
What sort of car do you think you'll get for your £1K + VW trade-in? You've lost any premium straightaway with the selling/buying costs, so any car will be no better (based on averages) than what you've got currently.

The advantage with the VW is that you know it, any problems, foibles etc. Buy an 8/9/10 year old 'sporty' diesel & you don't know what you've got coming.

Do you think diesels are any more economical if you drive in a heavy-footed manner? From what you say/imply, you'll be forever red-lining it to get the former GTI buzz; I doubt you'll get either the buzz or economy in that case & be left £1K poorer with unknown future bills.

From what I've gathered - and your comments about yours - VW GTIs of that period are robust, fun & long-lasting - why not spend your cash maintaining your current car & practise driving economcally for most of the time, but having the occasional blast to top-up the fun factor?

Edited by woodbines on 05/05/2009 at 10:36

Thanks for all the replies guys, has been really interesting.

I think most of you are probably right in the fact the gti is a good fun car and i should learn to tame my heavy foot a little to help my pocket and enjoy its performance every so often instead of all the time! I have had the cambelt done and im pretty confident that other than consumables it is going to remain bomb proof for a while so i guess i should enjoy its reliability!

Thanks for all the comments they have all helped just make the picture a lot clearer!

As for the "do you really need a car?" comment, i appreciate all posts, this one included, but like someone previously said, wash your mouth out!!!!!!! The question does not enter my head!!! I tried this when i was really really really skint couple years ago, cycled everywhere and unfortunetly it was like ripping my heart out, im pretty sure petrol (maybe one day, heaven forebid diesel too) runs through my veins!

Thanks everyone!
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - bell boy
good name seismic because if you buy a diesel and expect it to be bomb proof for a grand then your in for a big aftershock ;-)
haha! Yeap your prob right. it think the best i could have hoped for was a 306 as their diesel engines are good for an easy 200,000 if properly maintained, bar that for a a grand, your probs right!

ah well! ill enjoy the gti.
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - MikeTorque
What are you paying for the GTi's insurance cover ?
That's an area where you could save some cash were you to go for something with less bhp.

PS. stu (nice one), have you considered expanding your business to include a mouth valet ? I could be your first customer (wink wink)
Need something v.cheap, powerful and economical! - Pizza man
Lexus LS400? not cheap on fuel but don't break and 240-280bhp and can be had for well under a grand, use a bike when you don't need to drive or just don't eb so heavy footed they'll do 23-28mpg if you are gentle........7mpg if not.....