Driving for pleasure - <0.One%
Most, if not all, insurance policies include driving the car for "pleasure" (in addition to commercial and/or business and/or social and/or domestic use).

Are there any drivers who actually drive for "pleasure" as a seperate activity not connected to the other categories? Is this what "Sunday" drivers do, just toodling around with no purpose other than the joy of driving?

From most threads in this forum, it would seem that most driving is devoid of pleasure, and people seem keen to get to their dsetination as quickly as possible - to avoid the displeasure of spending time in their vehicles.

Driving for pleasure - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Are there any drivers who actually drive for "pleasure"

I've done 25k on bikes. None of it has been for any purpose other than to enjoy the blast!

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Driving for pleasure - Baskerville
It goes further than mere pleasure. I call it Citroen Therapy.

Chris
Driving for pleasure - Dorian
Sometimes after a bad day at work, I collect the missus and baby from home and go for a drive for an hour. It gives me time to wind down and have a chat with the wife. We often go down a little road where there's cows, sheeps, horsies and ducks, and let my daughter point at them and google merrily away...

Driving for pleasure - graham sherlock
I treat any ride/blast on the bike as pleasure, be it going to work or just for the hell of it..
Driving for pleasure - Mark (RLBS)
We quite often go out for a drive around the countryside on a Sunday for an hour or two - admittedly ending in a pub for lunch or dinner.

Camilla (7mths) and wife enjoy it as well.
Driving for pleasure - BrianW
This is called "Touring".
Confession time:
Most of my journeys are not undertaken for the primary purpose of pleasure, and I aim to minimise the time spent on them. However, during part of the journey I do derive secondary pleasure from the act of driving.

As Brian W says, most people equate ?touring? with ?driving for pleasure?. maybe this is what the insurance companies also mean. I would "touring" that in the social or domestic category, and reserve ?pleasure? for the act of driving. I recently had a touring holiday in Fife, Scotland, and the actual act of driving on the A roads there was definitely a pleasure. Even so while enjoying the journey while "touring", I was aiming to minimise the time spent drivng between my destinations.

Like Toad having a ?blast? on his bike, occasionally I do go out driving solely for the sake of driving ? not sightseeing, or any other social or domestic or such other primary purpose that might give secondary driving pleasure, but driving purely for its own sake.
Driving for pleasure - volvoman
Mmmm.... driving for pleasure. Now that's an interesting concept. I wonder how it works in practice.
Driving for pleasure - Steve S
Volvoman,

Judging by some of your posts I've got you located around SE London/Kent right? If so, what about a hack down to the coast using the A roads on a Sunday? Up early, bright day, breakfast by the sea - if you can't enjoy a drive like that - there may be no hope!
Driving for pleasure - volvoman

Actually Steve you're spot on - Orpington in fact. I was exaggerating slightly in my earlier post 'cos I do like driving very much but there's just so much traffic and hassle everywhere now. Parents live in Broadstairs so been going down there regularly since about 1982 but it's only in the last few years that the roads on that route have improved to the point where most is now dual carriageway. On a good run I do the trip in 85 mins. ps you're right about the T5 - a brother of mine has one and it goes like s?*t through a goose ! Given its size my 940 se turbo isn't bad - plenty fast enough for me !!
Driving for pleasure - Tomo
You don't drive a Volvo, for a start!
Mmmm.... driving for pleasure. Now that's an interesting concept.
I wonder how it works in practice.

Tomo
Driving for pleasure - Steve S
Very Harsh Tomo, tried a T5?
For pleasurable touring/driving routes in Fife/Perth area, check out

www.visitscotland.com/guide/perth/t_pitin.htm
Driving for pleasure - Tomo
Only thing, as the Scottish Executive says radar detectors are illegal up here (trust them to be superlatively spiteful!) you had better either have a concealed installation or rely on the GPS devices.

(I'm afraid I'm NOT telling where I go for pleasurable MOTORING!)
Tomo
Driving for pleasure - Mark (RLBS)
>>you had better either have a concealed installation or rely on the GPS devices

Option 3: don't break the speed limits.

M.

p,s, before anyone asks, MOTORING is used by Tomo because its better than driving and its what real MOTORISTS do. No, I don't really understand either, but there you go.
Driving for pleasure - Daedalus
Cant say that I drive for pleasure any more, just to get there I think. However the bike is very different wether I use it for business or PLEASURE.

Bill
Driving for pleasure - borasport20
Well now you've suggested it, I may well take the country route home, as i sometimes do of an evening. Country roads, little traffic, beautiful relaxing view

better than my mirror view this morning - woman spent 2 minutes applying her mascara (better or worse than the bloke i sometimes see using an electric razor ?)

when you've got tired of driving ...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Driving for pleasure - Simon Templar

There are roads in darkest Lincolnshire where it is still possible to enjoy the pleasure of driving a well balanced car,that handles undulating curves with aplomb.Roads that offer access to scenery that gave Tennyson power to his pen.Roads empty of traffic, secret roads, far from the packed Lemmings routes to the East Coast resorts.

Yes the pleasure of driving can still be enjoyed by some.
Simon T
Driving for pleasure - L'escargot
There are roads in darkest Lincolnshire where it is still
possible to enjoy the pleasure of driving a well balanced car,that
handles undulating curves with aplomb.Roads that offer access to scenery that
gave Tennyson power to his pen.Roads empty of traffic, secret roads,
far from the packed Lemmings routes to the East Coast resorts.
Yes the pleasure of driving can still be enjoyed by some.
Simon T

I agree entirely with your feelings about our roads, but as a Lincolnian (currently in exile in South Yorkshire) I just have to enquire as to why you have to go and spoil things by referring to "darkest" Lincolnshire ??
Driving for pleasure - Union Jack
"I just have to enquire as to why you have to go and spoil things by referring to "darkest" Lincolnshire"

Lighten up l'Esgargot! Do a Google search on "darkest Somerset" and you'll soon see what the Saint was driving at. In this context "darkest Lincolnshire" is clearly intended to be somewhat affectionate and "He ain't spoiling nothing, loike"!

Jack

PS Just be grateful that "darkest" Humberside has disappeared!
PPS I must have too much time time on my hands today - a Google search *does* work for "darkest Lincolnshire" too!

Jack
PPPS Oops! Typo alert ... I must have too much time on my hands today - a Google search *does* work for "darkest Lincolnshire" too! "Deepest darkest Lincolnshire, home of pure evil. Seen lurking the streets carrying cymbals and barking like a wolf. ... " according to Fokkewolf Biography @ Deadly Beefburger Records .....

www.deadlybeefburger.couk.com/biog.htm

Jack
Driving for pleasure - L'escargot
"I just have to enquire as to why you have to
go and spoil things by referring to "darkest" Lincolnshire"
Lighten up l'Esgargot! Do a Google search on "darkest Somerset"
and you'll soon see what the Saint was driving at.
In this context "darkest Lincolnshire" is clearly intended to be somewhat
affectionate and "He ain't spoiling nothing, loike"!
Jack
PS Just be grateful that "darkest" Humberside has disappeared!

Point taken.

Hope you enjoy Lincolnshire roads as much as I do, for as long as you are able. Creep creep !!!

Driving for pleasure - THe Growler
Het borasport, can you tell me why women always put their eye-makeup on with their mouths wide open?

Driving for pleasure - Highway Star
Unfortunately there seem to be too many morons on the road to really enjoy driving. It doesn't make it any easier having a heavy old pile of rust for a car either. Perhaps I could travel on public transport for pleasure ;-)
Speaking of which has anyone seen those posters on the back of buses that say something like "If you weren't in your car you wouldn't be in this jam". No, I'd be sat on a bus in this jam....great.

Did I leave my lights on?
Driving for pleasure - lezebre
I beg to differ there, Star. My previous car was bought cheaply, but probably at huge markup, from a back street dealer whose cars were, on reflection, all previous MOT failures with "lost", or new, certificates.
I loved that car, but had to get rid of it after a few blissful months under pressure from SWMBO who decided we had reached a time in our lives when it was appropriate to own a nearly - new ex-Avis type thing. Because the banger was 'old, heavy and rusty'.
Driving for pleasure - Highway Star
It sounds like we went to the same dealer LeZebre!

Did I leave my lights on?
Driving for pleasure - THe Growler

How about joy-riders?