Odometer / Speedo accuracy - wrangler_rover
My old car, 2006 Avensis 2.0 diesel speedo read 62 mph when my Tomtom read 60 mph and a regular over the same route measured 108 miles on the odometer.
I took delivery of a 2009 Avensis 2.0 diesel recently, the speedo reads 65 mph when the Tomtom reads 60 mph and the regular run over the same route reads 110 miles on the odometer.
I have the Avensis T2 with 16 inch wheels, higher specification Avensis models have 17 inch wheels.
I've spoken to a main dealer who doesn't believe it's a speedo calibration issue (calibrated to the wrong wheel size) and has informed me that you are allowed 10% speedo error. If my Tomtom is 100% accurate, my new Avensis is pretty close to the 10% inaccuracy limit.
I guess the next stage is to undertake a long journey checking the distance on the Tomtom against the odometer.
Does anybody have any thoughts or comments please.
Odometer / Speedo accuracy - cuthbert
You will find your sat nav is the accurate one !! speedometer's always over estimate your speed !! call me cynical but it looks better if the car is saying you are going faster than you are
I may be wrong but I thought it was a known fact that speeding tickets allow a 10% margin to cover a inaccurate speedo which is the maximum allowed to the manufacturer
Odometer / Speedo accuracy - stan10
On my '05 Mondeo,
speedo ....... 30 40 50 60 70
tomtom ...... 28 39 47 59 68

which i think is impressively accurate considering it's not on it's original, new, tyres. Somebody asked me the other day why we couldn't have GPS based speedos in cars, and i don't know the answer.
Odometer / Speedo accuracy - L'escargot
you are allowed 10% speedo
error.

Vehicle construction and use regulations allow a positive 10% error, but no negative error.