Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - Dave
New Labour are proposing 6000 new policemen!

This can only mean one thing. A *huge* increase in the construction of motorway bridges for them all to sit on.

A side issue would be about 3000 new Volvos...
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - Jonathan
Time to buy shares in the radar gun manufacturers too...
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - Stuart Bruce
You lot keep banging on about police harrassment of motorists, just be grateful that we are not back in the days when 11% of the force was in traffic. Then we'd really have to look out!

Time to take cover me thinks!
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - Roger Jones
To be quite honest, in my recent experience, police traffic patrols are as invisible as the bobby on the beat. I've made many motorway journeys without spotting a single patrol car. I guess they think the cameras are doing their job now. I do wish they were more visible and taking action over the well known stupidities -- tailgating, middle-lane hogging, telephoning . . .
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - John Kenyon
On my last journey from Hove to Stockport, using the
A23, M23, M25, M40, M42 as far as M42 J9, I saw just one patrol,
which naturally resulted in the traffic slowing down from 80-90
down to 67 mph!

When will people learn:

1. You can overtake a police car
2. You will not get pulled for overtaking said car at 72mph!
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - John Slaughter
Apparently that's why you usually see the police travelling at well below 70 on motorways. Too few people were willing to do even 70 to overtake. Frankly it always seems more suspicious to meekly follow than to over take at the limit, but mabe they have a guilty concience!

Regards

John
Re: Massive increase in police numbers - PC Plod
Let us put it in perspective.

Assumption No1 The 6000 extra bobbies are truly extra and not just a product of creative triple accounting by the spin machine @ Millbank House.
Assumption No2 The % of these extra bods going into traffic is roughly at the current level say around 5% because it makes the mathematics easy. I know the actual figure is slightly different but bear with me.

5% of 6000 = 300 which has to be split across 4 shifts as the job is 24/7.
300/4 = 75 which has to be split across the 53 police authorities in UK
75/53 = 1.4151 extra bods on duty at any time in any particular authority area.
Thats not allowing for holidays, sickness, injury, doughnut eating, tea drinking.
If you double the % to 10% its still only one car and some of the areas are quite big eg N Yorkshire!

Even if you look at the 6000 split the same way its only about 28 per county, and I have not included the non geographical forces.

Must go now as I have to nick that Little Noddy for speeding, the little beggar has put a shilling in instead of a sixpence, and Mr Mayor needs a new gold chain so I have to get some fines in.
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - richard turpin
I was travelling down to Canterbury last year and encountered a queue of people sitting behind a marked police Vauxhall Astra van doing a constant 80. This was a bore as I wanted to go a bit faster, so I overtook him at about 81. He then flashed me so I stopped. He then gave me a lecture about speeding. He conveniently "forgot" that he had been speeding too as he was just on his way to work, not "on duty". He didn't give me a ticket, no doubt because HE had a guilty conscience. Oh well. I suppose there are little Hitlers in every walk of life.
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - PC Plod
You probably got off because he would not have had a calibrated speedo, and it would have been too much of a pain in the *rse to get it sorted in order to get a conviction.
Police - again?! - Guy Lacey
Pleeeease don't get me started.

The reason you don't see any police on the motorways is because they are too busy enjoying *free*, queue jumping meals at all motorway services.

* I AM NOT JOKING *
Re: Police - again?! - Marcus
Get this !

I drive many Miles up and down the motorways, and one thing which really makes me livid, is a phenomenon that you can see much better when you are travelling in the opposite direction. Can you guess what it is ?

Mr Plod in his marked car travelling at 68mph, with a MASSIVE tailback behind him as motorists are forced to brake and gingerly creep past the Brainless plod for a few hundred yards before speeding away at the accepted sensible motorway speed of 83.5 mph.

This does absolutely no good at all, in fact it just creates a danger, as perfectly capable and sensible motorists are herded like farm animals into a totally artificial bottleneck and made to feel guilty for driving at a reasonable and sensible speed. When the 70 MPH limit was introduced, most cars had drum brakes, crossply tyres and were barely capable of exceeding 70mph, now most drivers benefit from ABS, massively improved suspension, brakes etc, yet to exceed this speed, even only for a moment, could lead to fines, points on licence etc.

Now before you start, It is not my wish to advocate people breaking the speed limit, there can be occasions where the limit may be 30mph, but in a crowded town centre this is too fast, however we need to focus the efforts of the police on other much more dangerous offences, rather than acting as a rolling road block - creating a hazard where non existed previously.

Why cant we have a system where Insurance companies issue a sticker in order that mr plod can confirm at a glance that a vehicle is insured ?

surely this would force uninsured drivers off the road in one swoop.
How fast should they drive. - David Woollard
Be fair Marcus. Given that the national speed limit (which I think is too low) is a government decision what are the police traffic cars to do? 68mph or 72mph, it makes no difference...the queues will form. You can't expect them to cruise about breaking the law all the time, that would be a farce. Of course if they're late for that snack break.........

When some advocate a raised 80 - 85mph limit others reply that people will just exceed that by the same margin and we'll all be doing 100mph. I don't think that is true. When the 70mph limit was introduced it was a natural limit for most cars, now 80 - 85 mph is a natural speed for most current cars. I don't think the majority would push it to 95mph+ because, at this speed, it does get noisier and concentration levels would rise to an uncomfortable degree. Also many would be aware of a sharp drop off in fuel consumption.

We are lucky to live in a rural area and my daily/weekly travels do not involve hovering traffic police, speed cameras and worries of digital no. plate readers. I respect all village/town and roadwork limits. For that reason I haven't been stopped or fealt threatened by the police in 20 years, I would still expect to see the patrol car as a help. Naive, I don't think so.

David
Re: How fast should they drive. - daisy
Let them drive at a speed at which they feel safe.

No one *forces* you to exceed 70mph; so if you feel safe driving at 90-100 then that's OK.

What is not OK is bad driving, but if there is an accident, the "bad driving" genes will be taken out of the gene pool

Daisy
Re: How fast should they drive. - Gwyn Parry
Marcus,

Bleating about Plod doing 68 mph is one thing, but if he was doing 80 mph the bleating would then be about him exceeding the speed limt.....its all about bottle in the bottle neck. The first to have the bottle to overtake the non speeding plod would then be followed by all the others. funny sheep bleat don't they ?
Re: Police - again?! - Brian
A central database of insurance is on its way so that Mr Plod will be able to key in from the roadside the registration number of the vehicle and get back instantly whether it is insured AND who is covered e.g. any driver or named drivers and who they are.
Re: How fast should they drive. - Stuart Bruce
OK so we have got radial tyres, ABS, EBD, EBA, ESP & GKWTFE yet what about the most dangerous component of the car........................................

The nut behind the wheel?

Once we have got acceptable driving standards at the current limits and only then is it the appropriate time to consider increasing the national limit.
Re: How fast should they drive. - Chris
Oh, no. Not this again. Most accidents are caused by driver error. Errors have more serious consequences at higher speeds. Think about it.

Chris
Re: How fast should they drive. - Kev
Wouldnt it be better to avoid crashes? That stuff on if you hit a kid at 30 there is a smaller chance of him/her dying than hitting in at 40. Good idea, why dont we teach that kid to not run infront of cars, or drivers to be more observant?
Should the child feel happy that they 'only' have serious injuries? What about if a child is killed when the car is doing 25mph? Is that alright, because the driver wasnt speeding?
I think far too much importance is put on speed, its nice and simple. Very easy to catch, few speed cameras hiden behind a sign.
But is 70 safe in thick fog safe? Thinking about that, do speed cameras work in think fog?
Why dont we have some grades put on driving? Better drivers who pass harder courses get to drive faster, (and cheeper insurance) and people who fail, ie poorer drivers have to drive slower? These could then be displayed in windows, if you get caught several times you have to re-sit your test. Or if its major, you loose your grades and have to start at the bottom.
Kev
Re: How fast should they drive. - Dave
Kev wrote:
>
> Wouldnt it be better to avoid crashes?

No because *speed* kills - not crashes. Surely you know this!

> What about if a child is killed when the car is
> doing 25mph? Is that alright, because the driver wasnt
> speeding?

It's not possible to kill sosmeone unless you're speeding because *speed* kills.

Catch up!

It occurs to me that if we set a speed limit at 700mph nobody could speed and there would be no crashes! (Except 'plane crashes)
Re: Logic - Kev
I must commend your logic here. Also i appologise for not realising or noticing that you dont have to hit anyone to kill them, just so long as you are doing more than is allowed.
Thankyou, Kev
Re: How fast should they drive. - Brian
I was most impressed by an Evel Kneivel cop about a year ago. We were sitting on our bikes in a queue of traffic, blocked in from going down the outside by an island. And we were there for about five minutes. His mates had got past before it blocked up.
If I had been him, I am sure that I would have found a sudden emergency to justify putting on the blues and going round the wrong side of the island. But no, he just sat it out!.
Re: Massive increase in motorway infrastructure. - Tim
Followed a plod for several miles on Friday down the A64 and M1, doing 80-85 in a Peugeot people carrier, quite a reasonable speed considereing the road conditions were good, and heh! guess what? No q of cars crawling along behind him.

Made a nice change,

Tim