08 1.7d new key - linemonkey
Hi, I have a friend who has recently bought a new spare key for his new astra,and as i work at vauxhalls, he thinks i,m an expert on astras (not). He informs me that he recieved the key at a cost of over £100 and was given what he thinks is a code. Can you tell me how to Re-programme or set his key.It will not operate the ignition. The dealer says he might have to bring it in at a cost of £40 to re-programme the key. As you know sometimes its as simple as turning the key a few times in the ignition.(fords)
08 1.7d new key - mfarrow
You will have to take it to the dealer - or a good garage - for programming.

You need the 4-digit immobiliser PIN code, printed on the Car Pass.

Edited by mfarrow on 16/03/2009 at 18:57

08 1.7d new key - Dynamic Dave
A July 2007 handbook says "unlock door with key in lock. The remote control is synchronised by switching the ignition on."

This however will only work with a key that has previously been married up to the car via Tech2. If he's just bought the key expecting it to work, then he's out of luck. He will need to visit a dealer, armed with the CarPass that has all the relevant security codes so that the key can be programmed to the car via Tech2.

btw, over £100 sounds way too expensive if he's just bought a key without having it programmed to the car. I've seen mention on a Vauxhall forum that a flip key costs something like £45 to £60 (depending on the location of the dealer) and another £40 to £50 for the Tech2 session.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/03/2009 at 19:01