2001 2.5 ABS light staying/coming on - ianch99
My father-in-law has asked my to post a question on his behalf. He wondered if anyone has some insight into a problem with his 2001 BMW 525i (Automatic). The ABS light keeps coming on. Sometimes it stays on, sometimes it goes off and comes back on and sometimes it behaves i.e. goes off and stays off.

The independent garage he uses has replaced the sensor (?) with no luck - same problem as before.

Does anyone have any experience of this behaviour that could guide him to a fix?

Many thanks
2001 2.5 ABS light staying/coming on - hm
what does the ECU say? (the garage should have plugged her in...).....As a guess IF they did then it would say right front and or right rear sensor fault......so I'm betting they replaced them and you still have the issue.....

I'm also betting the speedo works fine and the cruise control also work (when the ABS light is off).....

I would put GOOD money on it being the ABS ECU.. VERY common failure on earlier E39 models.... I would stongly recommend you whip her off and get it tested (should cost about £25.... if she is nackered then £150 to get it refurbed....

do a good search for ECU testing there is a place in Nottingham.. very fast turn around (you can still drive the motor without an ABS ECU) you would just have no speedo, no ABS or traction control. The company also advertise in Ebay...

Laters

H