Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - MikeTorque
Motorists are 30 per cent slower to react when talking on a hands-free mobile than they are when they are drunk, according to new tests. They also remain slower than normal even up to ten minutes after having a conversation because their concentration is affected, according to the study.

The study by the Transport Research Laboratory found slower reaction times for drivers using hands-free mobiles than for those who were above the legal drink drive limit.

The tests included getting motorists to brake suddenly while driving at 70mph.
Compared to the stopping distance of a driver in normal circumstances, the over-the-limit driver took a further 13 feet before coming to a standstill.
However, the driver using a hands-free mobile phone took 26 feet, exactly twice as far, before coming to a halt.

Measuring concentration levels and the time it took for the brain to fully focus on the task found a 30 per cent reduction in reaction time between the hands-free mobile phone driver and the over-the-limit one.

Discuss ?
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - rtj70
Discuss ?

No. Nothing to discuss.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - pda
So let's ban them altogether then when driving.

And passengers too.

How about the school run where there are 3 children in the back seat and a baby in a car seat in the front?

Maybe we should just develop a single seater car and ban anything with more seats.

A vision of the future, it's the answer to the congestion problem on our roads, bring back the bubble car!

Pat
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - oilrag
"How about the school run"

I remember twenty or so years ago someone in our office (on discussing smoking policy) saying - "well you breathe fumes in traffic don`t you"

The difference being that she was perfectly serious , while I suspect you have your tongue in your cheek, Pat ;-)
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Steve Pearce
I almost ran my wife over, whilst listening to The Archers...so I say ban radios too.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Pugugly
Same here - ISIHAC nearly caused me to come off the M1 once.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - TimOrridge
I fully agree, the late Humph's quips has had me at stiches at the wheel, I mean tears to the eyes.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Pugugly
I dropped one of Mrs P's precious brown Pyrex dishes through laughing at that - subsequently banned whilst undertaking other tasks since.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - mike hannon
>ISIHAC nearly caused me to come off the M1 once.<
Beware - it's on the way back - see BBC Radio 4 and the 'Clue' website for details.
I touched a kerb once while falling about with laughing at an interview with Michael Bentine.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Waino
I suspect that already anyone with any common sense restricts the use of their hands-free phone to receiving calls only and restricts the reply to 'yes', 'no', or 'can you call me back in half an hour, please'. As mine is a pay-as-you-go phone, calls are few and far between anyway.

However, as we know, common sense is not very common these days.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Roger Jones
Perhaps I am alone in perceiving a fundamental difference between an audio source that demands constant interaction and others that can be turned off, irgnored or told to shut up. It's the sustained interaction that erodes the driving capability.

Edited by Roger Jones on 28/02/2009 at 10:59

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Optimist
Why can't you turn off, ignore or tell to shut up the person on the other end of the hands-free?

If you research something, you'll come up with some sort of answer. So research into distraction caused by kids and dogs and Humphrey Littleton will come up with an answer too, probably thst distraction is dangerous by some percentage or other.

I imagine a little "research" would have found results from similar studies carried out elsewhere in the world, but there's nothing like a bit of home-grown hysteria!
Discussd on the Stephen Dolan programme on Radio 5 live, last half hour (after midnight) last night:

www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/schedules/2009/0...1
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - FotheringtonThomas
Some good advice from Nick Freeman - especially the finishing words.

Basically, don't - but many of us knew that.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - commerdriver
hands free mobile phones are NOT deadly.
Stupid people who use them, either to call or receive a call, at an inappropriate time and place are deadly.
here are situations when a 30 second call is not in any way dangerous but I expect, as with many motoring regulations, laws will end up being brought in because a large number of people cannot tell when something is safe or not.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Andrew-T
A large number of people cannot tell when something is safe or not

Ah yes. Perhaps many accidents occur when an apparently 'safe' situation suddenly becomes unexpectedly unsafe. Maybe the noble lord who was recently sentenced decided texting on the move was clearly pretty safe as he had been doing it for several miles.

Personally I almost never use a car radio (partly because the noise of the car is an intrusion), never mind a phone. If extremely bored I may sing to myself (only when alone) but I suppose even that may be a distraction.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Rattle
I am not a shrink but I do have some common sense.

When you talk to a passanger the passanger can see the situation aheadf and will often shut up while you navigation a complex junction or even help out. When you're on a hands free the conversation could be quite technical (how to fix an outlook problem, giving a quote, how do deal with that lazy member of staff etc etc) the other person does know not know what situations you are facing as a driver and therefore will not adjust the conversation.

This is one of the reason why driving hands free is a lot more dangerious than talking to a passanger.
Again the problem is not the device it's the user If I am in busy situation, lots of traffic, lots of junctions or whatever I don't answer the phone or make the call.
If the same happens with passengers I either mentally block out the conversation or ask them to shut up for a few minutes.
In either case it is the driver's responsibility to do things at a safe time, whether it's changing CD track, turning the heater on or taking a phone call.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Dyane 6 Mehari
The problem though is that you should be expecting the unexpected. Hazards can appear at any time from any direction - if you're already on the phone your ability to deal with such a hazard is already reduced.

I posted about this before, but research has shown that holding a telephone call places a unique load on the brain - due to the full duplex nature of a conversation with someone you can't see. I see people every day who have trouble walking down a crowded street and using the phone.

No other situation replicates this load - passengers in the car will respond to a situation in the same way that you do, listening to radio or CD is passive and even two-way radios do not place the same load because they operate in half-duplex - as in you have to press the button to speak.

It IS the device and calls should be banned in cars.
Hands up anyone who's driven whilst talking on a mobile and then when the call finishes you realise you cannot remember much of the journey whilst on the call.

The problem will be worse for more complex conversation (especially work ones).

You can have a chat on a mobile and it can be like talking to a passenger. But work calls often are not like that.
Yeah, but hands up anyone who can remember "much of the journey".

A lot of driving is on semi-auto-pilot or, IMO, just using a bit of the brain that doesn't store but responds to the immediate stimuli. So when you cast your mind back, you don't remember much of the journey because there's no reason why you should: you don't need the info. That's why when an accident or other incident occurs people don't find it easy to describe what happened. Any neurologists on here?

I don't think long, complex calls are ever justified but I don't think that hands-free phones are an invention sent to destroy us, either.

Think of all the other wonderful research. Is red wine good or bad for us this week?

Don't panic! Don't panic!

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Lud
That's why when an accident or other incident occurs people don't find it easy to describe what happened.

Not sure about that. A lot of people find it difficult to be objective if they are themselves involved. Their memory of the incident may be clouded by self-justification, and edited after the event for that reason. If they are not involved themselves, they may not have seen all of what happened, but may have formed quite a strong conviction about it, rational or otherwise.
I don't think long, complex calls are ever justified but I don't think that hands-free
phones are an invention sent to destroy us, either.

I don't think there is a need to ban the use of hands free - there are circumstances where they can help. The problem is the type of conversation some people will undertake when driving. I refuse to talk to colleagues when I realise they are driving.

But from a work perspective there is a lot on corporate manslaughter type stuff these days - like making you drive in dangerous conditions etc. Was nearly in that situation a few weeks back but sense was seen in the end.
The problem is the type of conversation some
people will undertake when driving. I refuse to talk to colleagues when I realise they
are driving.

But it's impossible to legislate against the type of conversation someone might be having.
Hazards can appear at any time from any direction

No they don't, if you didn't anticipate something the fault is with the driver, there are always phases in any journey which are low hazard, no junctions, little or no traffic, no sharp bends etc. Using a hands free for a 30 second call is not a dangerous activity in the right circumstances.
If you cannot tell when there are likely to be hazards or when the next half mile is hazard free then you probably should not be driving.
I repeat IMO the problem as with most driving situations is the driver not the gadget
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Bilboman
Circumstances have now forced me to begin an experiment of driving without the mobile connected to the (fully legal) hands free kit.
After 8 years as a sales rep/manager, and having been "hands free" all of that time, I have managed to train about 90% of my regular clients to email me that all important order or leave a message on the phone rather than just ring off and/or get stroppy when I do call them back. So I don't actually receive many calls while at the wheel anyway, and I do keep them very, very short.
The reason I now leave the phone off or muted and deliberately out of reach on the back seat is that I cannot get my Blackberry to synch with Ford's (Microsoft based, wouldn't you know it?) V2C Bluetooth system, and there is apparently no remedy. Earpieces for mobiles are illegal for drivers in Spain, so I have no choice but to make myself unavailable while driving.
I am actually quite enjoying a life of call-free driving, knowing that a discreet chirrup from the back seat means I have an incoming call or text, and can then stop at the next service area to deal with it. In my experience the clients who would rather I answer their call in two seconds and jabber away all self importantly at the risk of sending me into a multiple pile-up are invariably the ones who make the tiniest, almost imperceptible little orders!
On with the experiment. Day four and no withdrawal symptoms so far...
>> Hazards can appear at any time from any direction
No they don't if you didn't anticipate something the fault is with the driver there
are always phases in any journey which are low hazard no junctions little or no
traffic no sharp bends etc.

>>
If you cannot tell when there are likely to be hazards or when the next
half mile is hazard free then you probably should not be driving.

I'd say you're wrong. It's dangerous to presume that a stretch of road will present no hazard. The safe system of driving I was taught requires that I continually assess the conditions for hazards and plan my driving to deal with them.

I never think "This bit of road is perfectly safe so I don't need to worry about any hazards". It's impossible to operate a continual system of observe, interpret, plan and act while also having a phone call.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Hamsafar
Who cares? I don't.
Did you know for Vodafone if you want to leave a voicemail (even if the phone is on an receiving calls) you can if calling from another Vodafone phone!
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - FP
"...hands free mobile phones are NOT deadly.
Stupid people who use them, either to call or receive a call, at an inappropriate time and place are deadly.
here are situations when a 30 second call is not in any way dangerous but I expect, as with many motoring regulations, laws will end up being brought in because a large number of people cannot tell when something is safe or not."

Good point. In the same vein, overtaking is not in itself dangerous, but because some drivers cannot be relied on accurately to assess the safety of this manouvre on some stretches of single carriageway we have double white lines.

Speed is not in itself dangerous, but because some drivers cannot get their speed right for the situation, we have speed limits enforced by cameras.

And so on. The law is of necessity a blunt instrument in this respect. Speed limits tend to apply at midnight as well as at noon and apply to a learner as well as to an advanced driver.

I don't have an axe to grind on this one. I accept that it is the inevitable result of hugely overcrowded roads and the irresponsible behaviour of a minority. As a result, probably motoring is less enjoyable now than it was years ago.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Andrew-T
Speed limits tend to apply at midnight as well as at noon

This is an area where we could do things differently. The US and Canada have had Day and Night speed limits at least since the 1960s (unless they have abandoned them since?), usually 5 or 10 MPH less at night, and reflective signs which emphasise the appropriate limit.

I suppose dusk introduces a point of contention though.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Rats
If hands-free mobiles get banned, I suggest that smoking and driving is also banned!

Smoking whilst driving is very dangerous, how many times have you spotted someone struggling to get a fag out of the pack and light it........let alone when hot ash drops on to them or the seat/carpet!!
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Neiltoo
Just as an aside:

Don't we have one of the best road safety records in the world?
Is it not improving on average, though probably not year on year?
Don't we have a high, and increasing vehicle number?
And haven't we had an exponential increase in mobile telephone and text usage?

I'm not necessarily saying that mobile use when driving is safe, but we should keep a sense of proportion.

However, I don't do it myself, because I can appreciate the lower attention level it engenders in me.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - William Stevenson
In summary, use of any kind of mobile phone while driving should be banned, along with smoking while driving.
... and talking to passengers, and listening to the wireless, and playing tapes or discs, and adjusting your spectacles, and scratching your genitals, and having non-motoring thoughts, and...
... and driving?
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Bilboman
On a danger scale of 1 to 10, having a conversation on the mobile while driving would have to go from a 5 to a 10, depending on a vast array of circumstances, but any distraction - even a momentary glance at a sign on an overhead gantry - scores somewhere on the scale.
As well as the everyday ones like changing a cassette or CD, "demisting" the windscreen with a sleeve, nose picking, retrieving a Polo, Werther's Original or Mentho Lyptus and popping it into our mouths - things we've, ahem, nearly all done - there are accounts of drivers applying makeup, filling in a crossword or sudoku, cooking and eating food - none of which come in under 8 or so IMHO.
But how about this for the ultimate 1950s driver distraction? tinyurl.com/pnj64

Edited by Bilboman on 04/03/2009 at 01:54

An illustrative public-service ad is about 18 minutes into Saturday's (14 March) Pick of the Week (Radio 4):

tinyurl.com/MobilePhoneDriving

Edited by Roger Jones on 16/03/2009 at 12:44

I would listen to this, vbut can't find it - have you a direct link?
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - stevied
Am I alone (I usually am) in thinking that sending someone a text when you're completely stuck in traffic like I was on the M60 the other day (due to an accident ahead, and no I don't know if it was caused by using the phone!!) is completely lacking in any danger and yet in the strict word of the law sense, ie you are sitting in your car, it is illegal and PC Pedant could do you for it? I did it, by the way, and still think I am going to heaven, but then I long ago took away the link between legality and morality.

As an aside, it appears to be legal in the USA to use a hand-held "cellphone", am I correct in this? No opinion, just asking....
You are not alone in thinking that stevied, or in doing it and being prepared to send any critic away with a flea in his or her ear.

I have to say though that (as I don't use intuitive texting, can't do it with one hand and have to change my spectacles to see the screen properly) I don't do it myself. But I do make and answer calls under those circumstances.
But even using a mobile phone to talk when holding it is illegal if sat in the car and the engine is running. You need to be parked.
It may be illegal rtj, but stevied's point (and mine) is that since it poses no risk at all the law in this case is an ass and asking to be flouted by sensible people.
I am not disagreeing Lud. Just pointing out that being stationary with the engine running makes it illegal to talk let alone text.

But using even hands free to talk when driving can cause distraction. It depends on the conversation etc. Texting whilst on the move is obviously wrong.
Texting whilst on the move is obviously wrong.

... not to say completely impossible with only two hands. I would need about five. And the rapid alternation of reading and seeing-further-than-two-feet spectacles would be a bit of a distraction too

:o}
.. not to say completely impossible with only two hands

No it's possible but entirely unsafe.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - GJD
But using even hands free to talk when driving can cause distraction.

It causes exactly the same amount of distraction as having the same conversation handheld. The only difference is whether you hold on to the phone or not and holding on to the phone doesn't cause any more distraction, it causes a reduction in ability to control the vehicle.
Texting whilst on the move is obviously wrong.

Although no more wrong than getting out a cigarette and lighting it, or changing a CD.

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - stevied
Lud, the vision you have put in my head of you texting has made my day! I imagine you text like my aunt. I bought her a new mobile Christmas 2007 and the first text I received (March 2008) was along the lines of "JKHKJH &*&GHF HJKHKJ". This she had sent by accident. She can, as of March 2009 and given a leisurely afternoon, just about send a text normally but flipped out when I tried to teach her predictive/intuitive text. I might get her an i-Phone for her birthday.

On a more serious, and relevant note, I am glad you saw what I meant about legality. Some people just get flustered: "but but it's ILLEGAL... don't you UNDERSTAND" yes I understand, but the law and those who enforce it need desperately to be less asinine and nannying, and actually concentrate on those who recklessly endanger others. Not only would they gain order, but also respect. Rant over.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - 1400ted
I just don't know how anyone can txt when they're driving. As it is, I have to use both hands to pour whiskey from the bottle to the glass and have to use my knees to steer. However, steering with knees is a lot easier at speed...parkings a pig.
Ted
steering with knees is a lot easier at speed...parkings a pig.

I hope this is on your motorbike, and not in a car! It could be dangerous....
It causes exactly the same amount of distraction as having the same conversation
handheld

Exactly. It's the conversation that is the problem. At junctions then holding a phone is an added issue, especially a manual car, but the danger is using a phone.

>>>> Texting whilst on the move is obviously wrong.
Although no more wrong than getting out a cigarette and lighting it, or changing a CD.

You might be able to change a CD without looking at the CD player (I say might) but to text you need to read the screen of the phone.... and hit small buttons. So not quite the same.

Read research results from the TRL and others worldwide.
You might be able to change a CD without looking at the CD player

I think a lot of people write text messages without looking at the screen too. You might get the odd textonym (home instead of good , for example) but I imagine if you're used to writing messages like that, you're used to decoding them when you receive them.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - IanJohnson
Lovely example on the M74 yesterday.

Jaguar passed us doing about 85, phone to ear. About a quarter mile later he is passing a lorry, his brake lights come on, he slows to pass behind the lorry and go down the slip road. Nearly missed his junction.

Bet he believes that the phone does not affect his driving.
Bet he believes that the phone does not affect his driving.

Maybe it doesn't. I've seen plenty of people able to drive like that without the assistance of a mobile phone.

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - IanJohnson
But even using a mobile phone to talk when holding it is illegal if sat
in the car and the engine is running. You need to be parked.

I have made a short call while waiting at a red light in London (Handbrake on, ignition off - so parked but in a queue of traffic.)

Would have made in interesting conversation with a policeman, or a magistrate.
>>Lovely example on the M74 yesterday. Jaguar passed us doing about 85, phone to ear. >>

But that's not hands-free, is it? And as for texting with one hand while driving with the other. Hasn't that got to be a lot more complicated and attention demanding than talking to a person on a hands-free phone?

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - henry k
Horrific example on a busy roundabout in the middle of Kingston, in the middle of freshers week and in the rush hour.
Stupid lass trying to do a "U" turn round a roundabout while trying to operate a mobile phone in each hand.
Others just managed to miss her as she ignored priority and with no slowing down just went straight in to the roundabout flow.
I watched it all happenjust on my right from a grandstand seat on a bus.
Thanks to this escape I feel sure she will consider it OK to do it again. :-((
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - dieseldogg
It's a bit like the anology of
"guns kill"
NO
People kill , with guns.
Anyway
If hands free is as dangerous as driving whilst over the limit
and EVERYONE ( virtually) is doing it
Why is drink driving considered so serious?
Yes, I too, have observed them attempting to negeotiate a junction whilst using the mobile whilst smoking a ciggy and also concerned that the nail varnish they have just applied dries evenly.
Doh indeed
As for txting...

But from personal experience here in my local town while on a hands free kit
I three times have forgotton to turn off to some particular destination, in no way driving dangerous but def distracted
Ps
This with thirty two years accident free driving behind me ( aged 50)

Removed the swearing! You should know the site rules by now.

Edited by rtj70 on 25/09/2009 at 09:53

Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Brian Tryzers
>...in no way driving dangerous but def distracted

How can you separate those two? What you mean is you got away with it because nothing unexpected happened; if it had, you might not have reacted in time. Henry's roundabout circler might use the same argument as yours - "There wasn't an accident, therefore what I did wasn't dangerous."
Ok
Apologies for the totally appropriate, but inappropriate language.
Point taken.
Re the difference between distracted and dangerous
Hmmm
Having covered a signifent no of mixed miles of driving in 32 accident free years
I PRIORITISE
First, i leave an good distance between the veh in front and myself
Gives me additional Reaction time
Second I constantly scan, especially at schools etc
Again buys more reaction time
& Often driving slower than 30 if appropriate
But the key issue is that my destination comes behind my conservation
This DOES NOT mean that I am not concentrating on DRIVING SAFELY
PS

i quite often do NOT have the radio on
I often drive with the window down at times
and pour down the windows at a road in the rain
This for better visibility
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - Hamsafar
I once had a bump after having cereal for breakfast, I have found that most drivers who crash have also had cereal for breakfast. It should be banned.

Edited by Hamsafar on 25/09/2009 at 12:02

Excellent there Hamsafar
A well spotted corrolation
My ould Uncle Arthur always said " Stay outta bed, most people die in beds"
Irrufutable that.
And also as the bloke on Axmen said last night
"You cant fix stupid"
i like that
Unfortunalely on that basis I see many unfixable drivers on a daily basis.
as in yesterday while driving home, a long wide straight stretch of road with one blind crest
and a car parked thereon whilst matey talked on the phone
he was not only a foot out from the wide flat grassy verge, but also not more than a car length past a wide hard paved gateway into a field

He COULD/SHOULD have had his car in off the carriage way completely
But he THOUGHT ......hey I'm not going to cause an accident by driving whilst on the phone

Even though this would actually have been safer than his chosen course of action
Doh indeed
Right better get back to polishing my Halo
I'ts coming up right nice

Edited by dieseldogg on 25/09/2009 at 12:39

>I once had a bump after having cereal for breakfast

Yes, Hams - and blind drivers cause far fewer accidents than sighted ones. My statement doesn't prove that blind drivers are safer any more than yours supports the idea that using a phone while driving is safety-neutral.

The point is this: of course humans can rotate and prioritize their attention, and there are situations while driving when it's reasonably safe to carry on a telephone conversation. But about the only two I can think of are when travelling sedately on an almost clear motorway, and when shuffling forward in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and in either case it would have to be a brief and simple conversation.
In practically any other situation, hazards and decision-making situations will arise so frequently that you won't have enough attention to go round. And the places people most feel the need to make phone calls - busy town traffic and congested motorways - are where these hazards will arise the most.

Let's look at this another way. After six pints, I could probably drive my car the 400m to the end of my road without hitting anything or anyone. But does the fact there there a few situations where a dangerous condition won't cause an accident make it OK to behave in that dangerous way anywhere and everywhere? Society accepts that excess alcohol impairs hazard perception and car control, so it's made it illegal. If - as research seems to show - hands-free phone use is at least as harmful to driving ability, shouldn't the same apply?
I dont drive after two
and wouldnt after three
and would have fallen over before I got to six.
However I had an Uncle who drove home from the pub on a regular basis ( since deceased)
He NEVER had an accident, this despite being"unable to bite his own finger"
But to reasonably extend some of your argument
Women ( & indeed men) should NOT be allowed to transport children in cars
FAR more distracting
As our two weans while they were at that questioning stage.....boy they picked the MOST inappropriate moments to ask searching questions.
And to my preception our "parents" brains are programmed to respond
PS
Why is considered acceptable for concerned school run mummies to double park outside a rural country school
this near a bad corner
jat
M

Edited by dieseldogg on 25/09/2009 at 13:01

Since it wont let me edit
I intended to say
rural primary school
doh indeed
That's quite true about children's questions - mine do the same and it takes an effort of will to say, "Not now, Ermintrude*, I have to concentrate on driving." But it can be done, because carrying passengers - even talkative ones - is what a car is for. Using it as a mobile office, so your employer can require you to work and travel at the same time, is a different matter.

*Name invented for illustrative purposes. I wouldn't name a child Ermintrude, of course - mine are named Herod and Jezebel.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - barney100
No point in bringing in laws, there are laws against using mobiles when driving and how many drivers do you see on the phone? hundreds of them. Do the police catch them? no. There seems no answer to this problem.
Hands-free mobile phones are deadly - PBB
Agree with barney100. When in pedestrian mode, amazing number of drivers don't event see me standing at side of road waiting to cross.

I try making eye contact with drivers in effort to stop to let me across road

I often make successful eye contact with driver who are NOT on phone

But very rarely make eye contact with someone who is speaking on their mobile (they generally just hold the phones, the Police in Wales have no control over use of mobiles)

I know there is a response to say "just because they don't make eye contact doesn't meant they haven't seen you" but why the difference between phone/non-phone users?

If shows that concentration is badly affected by using phone

Oh, and some divvy in the office says you should get a reward for texting and driving not a fine, because she's so clever at doing it. I try not to think about the horrific statement she is making.