What's a "main" dealer ~ seriously! - L'escargot
The Ford franchised dealer I go to has a total of eleven employees including the Dealer Principal. Is it a "main" dealer? It's the only Ford franchised dealer in our town. In fact, it's the only franchised dealer regardless of make, so you can't get more "main" than that.
What's the definition of a "main" dealer?
What's a "main" dealer ~ seriously! - Robin Reliant
I'd have said a franchised dealer, as described in your post.
What's a - the swiss tony
Dunno about now, but when I worked for Ford, they had 'main dealers' who dealt directly with the factory, and 'retail dealers' who had to deal with a main dealer, the retail dealers had little or no contact with Ford.

edit; ALL were 'franchised'

Edited by the swiss tony on 21/02/2009 at 12:01

What's a - Simon
I think the technical answer to the question may differ from what the general public perceive to be a main dealer. I would say that most ordinary folk would refer to a 'main dealer' as being one that it franchised to a particular motor manufacturers brand.
What's a - Anglesey Ian
Within the confines of this confessional, I have to sadly admit that I'm not exactly sure what a 'Dealer Principal' is.

Could anyone kindly explain ?

Thanks

Ian
What's a - Lou_O
Within the confines of this confessional I have to sadly admit that I'm not exactly
sure what a 'Dealer Principal' is.

he's like the headteacher ;)
What's a - Anglesey Ian
Ahhhh thank you Lou.

Does that mean that he is the head of the dealership then ?......... the main man ...
the man with shorter trousers than appropriate, always showing 6 inches of white shin like my old head ???

Ian
What's a "main" dealer ~ seriously! - L'escargot
Does that mean that he is the head of the dealership then?

In the dealership I go to you can't get any higher. He's the son of the owner. The owner no longer takes part in the day-to-day running of the company.
What's a "main" dealer ~ seriously! - Rattle
There is a charming little Ford dealer up in the Rossendale valley, they have a very good local reputation, just two sales people and a mechanic. It is a proper Ford franchise dealer but their prices were very high, they wanted £3000 for a 8 year old Fiesta when I visited.

It feels like a very small garage but it is a proper Ford franchise dealer, a lot way from the massive Ford dealers I am used to.
What's a "main" dealer ~ seriously! - gmac
Main dealer is one who has direct access to the manufacturer.
They can generally (there are a few exceptions) get you ANY parts you require within 24hrs and full software upgrades when your car is in for a service.
Should you have an unusual problem with your car, they have direct access to the techies in the factory who can get you a fix.