2002 1.4 Airbag light on - Road_Hog
The airbag light on the wife's car has come on, constantly. It also shows what seems to be the light that denotes that the front passenger airbag has been turned off. It hasn't and I've tried turning it off (facility to turn off passenger airbag) and back on again but that's made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Also if I get a code reader and reset the warning light, will it stay off if it was just an intermitent fault or a short circuit.

Edited by Webmaster on 18/02/2009 at 18:07

2002 1.4 Airbag light on - rip
normally with Pug/Cit cars the airbag light comes on because the orange connectors under the seat have been disturbed- the best course of action is to unclip the orange connector and re-clip it, this ensures the light goes off for a while. only do this when the ignition is off (wait at least 15mins).
Thanks, I've had a quick look and it seems difficult to access the connectors underneath the seat. Do you normally have to remove the seat to get access to these properly?
2002 1.4 Airbag light on - MikeTorque
The seat doesn't need removing, try moving the seat as far forwards or backwards as possible to see if that helps access.

The bad news is this is a very common fault and even if the connectors are firmly connected the airbag warning light can still show, it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with the airbags, the warning light problem is a known Citroen feature/defect.
2002 1.4 Airbag light on - rip
I had the same problem with my xantia- airbag light occasionally remained on.
I did what i have suggested and it would be ok for a few weeks then same procedure again.
It?s not a difficult job but it may take a few goes to ensure the light the light behaves as it should.
I believe the permanent cure is to remove the connector and solder the wires together.
2002 1.4 Airbag light on - Dynamic Dave
>>> I believe the permanent cure is to remove the connector and solder the wires together.

Yep. See the following link. Different car, but same problem.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=50...2

It's mentioned in the link, but it's worth mentioning again:

Disconnect the battery the evening before you do the job. ie, leave battery off overnight so that the airbag capacitors discharge. Double check your work before reconnecting the battery.
2002 1.4 Airbag light on - dieselicious
Double check your work before reconnecting the battery.

.....and keep your head down!!!

Edited by dieselicious on 19/02/2009 at 10:11

I take it the bit about disconnecting the battery is only for soldering a direct connection or do I need to do this if I'm just unplugging and reconnecting the connectors underneath the seat?