2.2di versus 2.2dci - steveoggy
can anyone advise as to wether or not the older model engine (2.2di 2003) has the same turbo and intercooler nightmares as the later 2.2dci x-trail ?
cheers
2.2di versus 2.2dci - Kalmer
I bought a new 2.2Di SE+ in October 2001 and still have it . I have a daily commute of about 100 miles. It has now done 120k + miles. I've never had any problems with either the Turbo or the intercooler. I always idle the engine for a minute or so after every medium or long journey. I followed Honest John's avice on running in diesel engines and now make sure I get to 4000 rpm at least once on every long trip.

My troubles have been all with the brake system. Have had to replace discs and calipers all round at about 60K. They are now due for replacement Nowadays I get the claimed 39 mpg most of the time if I do not exceed 75 mph. It has sometimes gone down to 35 mpg. under enthusiastic driving. I am quite pleased with its performance so far.

Have had to change the exhaust (cracked), radiator (cracked - probably due to stones), sump cover (rusted), disks (jammed and got warped), calipers (getting stuck) - that's about it. A few years ago I did consider moving to a dci version, but it all the reports of turbo failures put me off.

Cheers
can anyone advise as to wether or not the older model engine (2.2di 2003) has
the same turbo and intercooler nightmares as the later 2.2dci x-trail ?
cheers
2.2di versus 2.2dci - xtrailman
All the turbo failures started i believe from the second generation, of the xtrail ,2004 onwards.
The first edition i looked at, but thought it down on torque at 199 lbft.
At the time i had a A4 1.8T which gave out 173lbft, so i didn't see the point in changing.

The most common problems for the early versions were chain tensioner failures, black smoke from the exhaust, and the odd rear brake problem.

models 2004 onwards common oil leaks from the intercooler. New version fitted under warrentry sorted my 2004 car.
Some reports of turbo failure, usually if one failed the replacment failed. Turned out refurbished turbos were being fitted, not recommened by turbo experts.
I had the boost sensor fitted in warrentry, and covered 30k trouble free miles before passing the car on to my son.
The sensor was blamed for overboosting the turbo.

When the 2004 model came out power was up to 134bhp and torque 131lbft.
Owners of the first generation engine were happy with the power, but i saw a reason to change when 131lbft was available.

The power increase was maily by a larger intercooler, variable vane turbo, and a fuel pressure increase.

So the choice is yours.