07 1.7 misty/frozen windscreen inside - scot113
Can anyone help?

Absolutely love my corsa 1.7cdti 'o7 plate but major issue with misting on windscreen inside. In actual fact it freezes in the cold weather at times. As there is no fast clear option in my car it takes ages to clear with the heater/air con combination as recommended by Vauxhall manuals. I can clear the whole car of ice/snow etc by hand and still be waiting to see outside the windscreen. I have not used any sprays etc to clean the inside of the windscreen since I got the car but as it was bought used I can't guarantee much more. I use a lint free cloth to wipe off the moisture etc when I cannot wait around for the heater etc to work.

Has anyone any advice to prevent this?

PS Apologies if this problem is unclear tried to explain best I can!

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2009 at 22:51

07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - L'escargot
Try not using the aircon for a couple of weeks to allow the residual moisture in the aircon unit to dry out. And don't forget that using the aircon will cool the screen, which is the exact opposite of what you need to do.

To defrost/demist :-
Set the heater to maximum temperature, all air to the screen, and maximum fan speed.

Most diesels will take longer than a petrol to defrost/demist, because the coolant will warm up slower ~ you can't expect good fuel economy and a quick warm-up.
07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - Woodspeed
Another good trick is to get a 6 pint milk container and fill it with warm (about blood heat) water. Then pour it over the front screen first to allow the warmth to percolate through (it also removes the frost) then over the rear and side windows and mirrors. I have done this for 35 years and just do it and go. While all my neighbours scrape scrape scrape, get in the car and breathe, and it whites out again.
Obviously common sense dictates NOT TOO HOT. Hence my comment of blood heat, and do it slowlly. The air con should not work below about 7C ambient even if you switch it on.
Regarding the above, I have been cursed as the water drains off and freezes on the drive, turning it into a skating rink.
07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - piston power
I agree i do luke warm water when frosty then followed by as hotter one on the windscreen but NOT boiling just tap water hot with a bit of cold not cracked even at -8 last year.

I guess this car does not sit in a garage? there is some electric heaters available that you can plug in to the mains for 15 mins before you set off they sit on the dashboard.
07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - scot113
Thanks for the advice so far. Car is sadly not garaged so may investigate add on heater!

Not sure about the water thing, been told about that a lot and the dangers. As my corsa has the rain sensitive extra, quite effective I must say althoug h capable of using my own hands to achieve same!, I doubt I will risk an expensive replacement windscreen.
07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - Aretas
Just think what this is. Conensation occurs when air is cooled and cannot hold its moisture, so it condenses on the inside of the screen.

Assuming your car doesn't hava a problem with water leaks, where is the moisture coming from? It is coming from your breathing. Sugest you open your car window for the last hundred yards or so of your journey. This should replace your cosy moist laden air with somethig dryer. Or maybe open a window a couple of millimetres when you park, if practical to do so.
07 1.7 Misty/Frozen windscreen INSIDE - gamekeeper

check recirc not left on. if not that replace pollen filters. Big Kev