Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - maz64
Just been watching Road Wars on Sky 3 (dated 2005), and amongst the usual chases there was what appeared to be motorway footage taken by an in-car police camera with the speed displayed as up to 125-130mph.

However, if the police car was doing 130, then all the other vehicles on the motorway must have been doing well over 100, and presumably indicating more on their un-calibrated speedos. They weren't flashing past as you would expect if they had been going at about half the speed - if they had been doing say 70, then I would have estimated the police car's speed as 80 max.

The commentary mentioned that the police video evidence had helped result in a lengthy sentence for the speeding driver (or words to that effect).

Is it possible that the camera's speedo hadn't being correctly calibrated, or become un-calibrated? Or is it just a result of some TV production process? Or was everybody on the motorway really doing 100mph+? (Ok- or am I just a very bad judge of relative speed?)

F
Next Road Wars (not much else on!) showed video from another chase with 'Calibration required!!' displayed in the middle of the screen.
Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - martint123
Judging speed and speed differences from a camera is extremely difficult. If they use a wide angle lens then what you see on TV is vastly different to what you see when driving.

If you see on-board footage from something like GP motorbikes, then you wouldn't believe they were doing 200mph just by looking at the barriers passing.
Judging speed and speed differences from a camera is extremely difficult. If they use a
wide angle lens then what you see on TV is vastly different to what you
see when driving.

Point taken, although in other footage the indicated speed tied in with the pictures.

I'm sure it will be on again - I'll try to record it then count the rate at which the white lines go past. Not precise but should give a rough idea ie. whether 80-odd (which is what it looked like) or 130-odd.
Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - andyfr
I'm sure it will be on again - I'll try to record it then count the rate at which the white lines go past.

You've got too much time on your hands! ;)
Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - midlifecrisis
> (Ok- or am I just a very bad judge of relative
speed?)

You're just a very bad judge of relative speed :)
Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - Peter D
Was the vehicle on the RHS of the road so the speedo is in KPH and filmed abroad. Regards Peter
Road Wars - police tape speedo accurate? - smokie
What I also realise is misleading on camera is the gradient of hills. First noticed at Spa motor race circuit where a recovery truck had to reverse up to the first corner cos he apparently couldn't do it forwards. Hadn't noticed any hill there before (on TV), but in the flesh it's quite steep...
Was the vehicle on the RHS of the road so the speedo is in KPH
and filmed abroad.

No - it was the M40 IIRC. I think it's Thames Valley based, although there are occasional US clips.