Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - TimOrridge
Hi all,

Following on from the thread last time on the misfiring Octavia. RTJ70 suggested getting the codes read. So we have bought a cable and obatined VAG.COM.

How do we go about connecting it. Do you do all this with ignition on? off? or with engine switched on?

Is there any risks with reading the codes like this? We are going to have a look tonight so any help would be great.

Thanks
Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - rtj70
I meant go to somewhere that can read and interpret the codes. Did VAG.COM not come with instructions?

Moving to technical...
No insturctions come, just a disk supplied with the cable

We can get the codes read but we thought if we get our own kit we can scan at our convienence and with out the charges that some places charge.

Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - rtj70
I assume it tells you what the codes also mean?

I would have thought the ignition needs to be on for this to work - it talks to the ECUs.
Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - thomp1983
tinyurl.com/2l8mwt

pdf version of the manual can be downloaded from the bottom of the above linked page.

ross tech are surprisingly helpful with support for vagcom considering most copies in the non commercial domain are pirated and the cables are substandard chinese copies of the originals that don't always work with the software.

chris
Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - Hamsafar
You plug in the cable, and turn on the IGN until all the lights come on.
It doesn't matter if you already have VAGCOM open or open it now.
If you have the free version 4xx.xx and a fake cable. Good luck! The driver setup is very hard.
On first launch, click Options and press Test.
Connecting VAG.COM + Laptop - adverse camber
Ignition on. Only need the engine running if you are monitoring something that involves that.
or abs controller monitoring wheel speeds etc.
I have updated the Skoda Ocatvia thread with the code I found. Thanks for all your help