MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Nsar
That ad to the right for the book seems to suggest that the inventor of the mini-roundabout has 'messed' up Britain.

I've never really been driven to frustration by them. Has anyone else here?

Edited by Webmaster on 19/12/2008 at 18:40

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Ian (Cape Town)
Back to basics, Nsar... IF (nb the big 'if') people knew how to deal with them, they'd work. Probably.
But the biggest problem, as in most 'new'stuff, is that those of us who bother to actually keep abreast with the laws and rules of the road will always be vastly outnumbered by the guys who never ever ever have read the Highway Code since the day they did their test.
The reason mini roundabouts were introduced, I'm sure, is because folk couldn't grasp the concept of 4-way stops and yield signs (the latter are 'Give Ways', in your parlance).
But the very fact that they can't grasp the concept of mini roundabouts has bitten the road users on the buttocks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2008 at 18:46

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - ForumNeedsModerating
Me neither (been flummoxed that is..), in fact I see most people seem to fully understand how to use them: just like a 'normal' rounabout only, er, smaller! Priority from the right - what could be simpler?
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - boxsterboy
The only problem with mini-roundabouts is that they have been used lazily by traffic 'engineers' in the wrong places, such that drivers in some places now find it easier drive over them or cut corners and go round them the wrong way.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - daveyjp
A few have sprouted on routes I use. The other week there was someone at the head of the queue who was clueless.

We were at 6 o clock, they wanted to go to 3 o clock - a right turn. They obviously didn't know they had priority over traffic coming directly towards them, they stopped before the roundabout with the right hand indicator going, treating it as a right turn and letting anyone coming towards them through. They let through 18 cars!
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Altea Ego
in the wrong places such that drivers in some places now find it easier drive
over them or cut corners and go round them the wrong way.

frequently drive over them, and why not if there is no-one else there?

I have never seen anyone go the "wrong" way round them

The only issue with mini roundabouts is when everyone arrives at it at exactly the same time and dont know who has right of way. If I am one of them I soon sort that out.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - NARU
The one near us is lethal when on the motorbike in the wet - the circle is so large that you have great difficulty in going round it without touching the paint. And if you do touch the paint, its very slippery.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - welshlad
i dont know about messing britian up it has never caused me a problem , the only problem i have with them is the really small ones that dont need to be there, but my problem is just one of why not how to use it it often seems to be that a normal junction with normal junction rules would be sufficient

ithink the point here should be not to blame the inventor but blame the people who over /miss use the invention

Edited by welshlad on 20/12/2008 at 01:23

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Waino
The problem round here (Bury St Edmunds) is that the white road markings have been worn down to the point where they are almost invisible, especially in the wet. Mind you, that can be said for most road marking around here.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - gordonbennet
Mini roundabouts are superb in most situations on the type and width of road they usually are used on.

What could be better, no waiting for lights at 5am for several minutes when there's not another soul around, and used reasonably the flow of traffic is good, much better than a normal cross roads in most cases, where people on the non priority road can wait interminably for a gap in the flow.

The planners of large roundabouts should take note of how well they work, removing the small jungles from many would make progress far safer for all.
On many larger fast roundabouts covered in foliage etc you only have a very brief sight time to get out safely (try that with a 65ft truck with the acceleration of a ship) , with the mini or clear larger one you can at least plan your progress.

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Manatee
>>I have never seen anyone go the "wrong" way round them

You can't have been looking. There are a lot at T-junctions that basically block the side of the main road on the junction side. Travelling along the main(er) road with the minor road on your left, you have three choices -

- lock to lock at a crawl to pass round the correct side

- drive over the top, making sure your tongue isn't between your teeth

- have a good look round, and if there's nobody about, a minor steering adjustment to the other side of the road to 'overtake' the mini-roundabout. By far the best option if available.

Some are very useful - the ones I have in mind have been put where there isn't room for them, and usually as a traffic calming (obstructing) measure.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - sierraman
This last being the worst use of them,usually offset to make an easy corner hard work and leading to method three above.We have one scheluded for a junction a few yards from me,four roads meet but two carry very little traffic,so the M R is,effectively,an obstruction in a right angled turn,the bus drivers will love it.There was going to be a double M R,a monstrosity I thought had disappeared ,but there were too many objections from locals.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Old Navy
As a traffic calming measure, which many seem to be used as, particularly where visibility is resricted, they are better than the raised cushion junctions or speed bumps. I suppose the attraction for the planners is that white paint is cheaper than traditional traffic management.

Edited by Old Navy on 20/12/2008 at 12:23

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - NowWheels
Many of the use of mini roundabouts are at junctions which would work much better if they used Guernsey's filter-in-turn system.

This is indicated by a yellow criss-cross box painted at a junction, usually with "filter" written in huge letters on the roads approaching it. At these intersections all directions have equal priority. You must only enter the junction in turn with other vehicles. You must not enter the box unless your exit is clear.

This works brilliantly: much less confusing than mini-roundabouts, and if the road is busy it has a great advantage in preventing the roundabout-takeover which can happen where a steady stream of traffic from one direction can make it nearly impossible for cars on the next road clockwise to enter the roundabout.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Devolution
It's amazing what the planners come up with. I've never driven the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, but apparently it improved traffic flow massively. Surely a place for anyone who can't use a roundabout to come and get some practice!

tinyurl.com/5hfyxd
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - rtj70
I've done the magic roundabout in Swindon once - what's strange at first is you go around the central larger roundabout the "wrong way". It did seem to work but when you first get to it and are not sure what exit you want then I think it could be very confusing.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - Sofa Spud
Normal mini-roundabouts work well in general, although there are some badly thought-out applications. One problem that does occur with mini-roundabouts is when vehicles arrive at all the entraces simultaneously and nobody knows who should go first.

But in general we're much better off with them than without. Often they are placed at T-junctions where some emerging traffic would previously have had to make a right-turn onto a main road, giving way to traffic from lboth left and right.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - LondonBus
Where I live, the local authority has put in mini-roundabouts.

They work well. Drivers are the problem.

Like:

i) The drivers unable to understand that if I'm approaching them head-on at a mini on a T-junction with a right turn signal, I have priority

ii) The drivers who overtake me from behind on a mini if I follow the roundabout properly when making a right turn....

iii) Drivers unable to understand the concept of priority to the right on a mini. Evidenced by a milk-float (on the mini) being hit by a daft cow in an MPV who seemed oblivious to the concept....
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - gordonbennet
being hit by a daft cow in an
MPV who seemed oblivious to the concept....

Its the homing instinct when farmer calls them in for milking....thats the trouble with motoring at this time of year, some panto actors get carried away and start to live the act..;)

MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - David Horn
Only time I've found them dangerous is if you want to do a U-turn on one, which really confuses people.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - L'escargot
I've no problem with them. That's not to say I never drive over them instead of around them, especially if there's no other traffic about.
MiniRoundabouts - have they 'messed' up Britain? - bananastand
mini roundabouts are mostly ridiculous and an excuse to paint the road in even more stupid colours. Friend of mine lives near Mort Lane, Swinton, and there's a big main road with a steep incline. He comes out of his estate onto a MR on the main road. OK you might complain that "people should know how to deal with them" but the **reality** is that drivers flying down the main road think they have right of way over the ridiculously sited MR. I know he has had a few rows with ignoramuses when he has eased his car into the MR when they think he should have stopped, as if there was a "give way" or a "stop" sign.

I blame the EU, as usual.