Key fob battery - tobyjug
The buttons on the key on my wifes B Class Mercedes stopped functioning. Popped round to the local Mercedes dealer and was informed that the batteries were £5 for two. I said I was expecting him to give me one not charge me.

I fefused to pay their price, on the internet the most expensive I could see were £1.69 for two including postage.
The same batteries, Panasonic CR2025 as original.

Another of their customers lost at vehicle renewal time.
Key fob battery - J500ANT
Why did you expect to get a consumable item for free?
Key fob battery - oilrag
You could have bought the batteries for a fiver and drunk a mornings worth of coffee from their dispenser in order not to lose out..
;)
Key fob battery - tobyjug
Because on previous cars thats exactly what I did get.
Key fob battery - drbe
Personally, I wouldn't make or break a car buying decision on the grounds of a fiver.

And I would have rephrased the second part of line two of your original post.
Key fob battery - Mr X
Panasonic CR2025 are pretty common batteries and as such will be used in a lot of MB key fobs. MB's buying power must be immense so they really will be paying pennies for such items. Why they feel the need to milk the customer to such a great extent is beyond me. Profit is not a dirty word but extortion is. Not every one would have the ability to buy such items from the internet and they know this.
Why did you go to Merc in the first place if you knew they were standard batteries you can get anywhere?

Edited by J500ANT on 27/11/2008 at 09:49

Key fob battery - L'escargot
Panasonic CR2025 ...........

Available almost anywhere that sells batteries.
Key fob battery - Happy Blue!
I have changed the batteries in a Mercedes key fob. It cost about £1.99 for the cells and maximum five minutes at the kitchten table.

If I wanted the dealer to fo it, £5 is a very fair price for the job.

Headline -- Cheapskate buys Mercedes --

Key fob battery - Falkirk Bairn
>> Panasonic CR2025 ...........
Available almost anywhere that sells batteries.

Maybe these are not the "average Panasonic CR2025" - maybe they have been re-packaged in a "MB bubble card" with an official MB Part # and listed on the MB Computer it all adds to the cost!

Key fob battery - Bill Payer
MB key batteries should be changed by the dealership as part of the cars B service.
Key fob battery - boxsterboy
It's funny, the remote on my wife's Merc stopped working yesterday. I didn't waste my time going to the Merc dealer, I just walked to the electrical shop 100m down the road and bought 2 replacements £2.28 each. Job done.

I wouldn't expect a dealer to pay for consumables. Do you expect free oil at the service?
snipquote
I just walked to the electrical shop 100m down the road and bought 2 replacements £2.28 each. Job done.

£2.28 each. What a rip off, you could have bought Merc branded batteries for not a lot more ;)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2008 at 12:34

Key fob battery - Bagpuss
The batteries in my TV remote control ran out the other week and I replaced them myself. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of going back to the shop I bought the telly from and getting them to change the batteries for free.
Key fob battery - Avant
I agree with whoever implied that this isn't a very big issue. The root cause of the problem, if it is a problem, is the dreaded computer system. Batteries are in stock; stock has to be booked out; you can't do that without generating an invoice.

Even when I buy VW's own-brand screenwash from a VW dealer (it's surprising cheaper and better than most of the stuff you get in the shops), and pay cash, they still have to produce a multi-part invoice.