05 2.0 (e90) Oil service and sump nut location - smithie
Hi all,

I've been looking at servicing my (E90) BMW , I've done various cars in the past but the BM has a slightly different set up as most of you will know!

I've looked underneath the car and found a "trapdoor" which appears to house the oil sump, mine is black with a 17mm black bolt but this points straight down, unlike other cars I've had it would mean you can't use a regular ring spanner to undo the nut, can someone let me know if this is actually the oil sump nut before I undo it?!

Also the oil filter access is very restricted and has a metal cover to prevent easy access! If anyone needs to know where to get hold of the tool oil filter cup wrench I'm happy to give a recommendation if you want to send me a message. I found it pretty damn hard to get the tool!

(sorry if this in the wrong section, new to this!)

Thanks for your help
Smithie

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 08/11/2008 at 10:22

2005 2.0 bmw 2005 (e90) Oil service and sump locat - Dude - {P}
All BMW main dealers do not drain sump oil as you are proposing, but use an oil extracter pump. This is inserted down the dipstick tube and extracts the oil.
I find mine (Pela 6000) also excellent for changing the oil on my mowers.

www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga
2005 2.0 bmw 2005 (e90) Oil service and sump locat - smithie
cheers Dude

Is it still possible to do it the "traditional" way, via the "trapdoor" bolt? I planned on sorting this weekend before I leave it with the wife as I need to go away for work..

Thanks
Smithie