Reducing motoring costs - Collos25
Having returned to the UK from Germany recently I find the cost of motoring to quite cheap up here in Bradford.You do not have to tax or insure your car or have a MOT .I do notice one or two people who have these but are quite few.You can deal drugs quite openly commit just about any crime you like.Also seat belts are not required ,red lights mean nothing,speed camaras are no problem as you will have not notified the DVLC of your ownership of the offending vehicle.The reason for this utopia is there are no police on duty.Bradford has two officers for night duty in my area and they do not have time for anything as trivial as untaxed or uninsured cars.walking through town one day I counted over 50 untaxed cars and then gave up.Perhaps this is where Customs and excise should looking.One more point I am returning to the the German Republic in two weeks time for good to a land that still thinks law an order to be an important thing.In my short stay here I have had my car broken into twice with the police response being nil.
Reducing motoring costs - crazed
yep its an absolute shambles

oh dear i can hear the pro-police idiots rumbling, mainly people who dont get out that much

central milton keynes is out of control, thames valley plod are useless, the crims are in charge...

same in quite a few other places

sadly they are led by idiots, and spend way too little time fighting crime, and way too much on trivia like issuing tickets for modest speeding - pandering to their political masters

only people they will have a go at are the ordinary tax payers, they are scared s**tless of real crims

sad state of affairs

one locked up today for leaking info to drugs dealers - one out of how many hundereds ?
Reducing motoring costs - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Now come on, crazed. I don't have much time for Richard Brunstrom, Chief Con of North Wales and father of the speed camera, but he appears to have seen the light and moved on to address major crime, at long last.

He has instigated an operation and sent senior detectives to London to interrogate Greg Dyke, Director General of the BBC, to determine whether the Race Relations Act was breached during an episode of Room 101, when Ann Robinson said she disliked the Welsh.

Let's hope he continues to pursue today's vital issues.
Reducing motoring costs - Andy
Hang on I can hear Mark the Moderator coming, to reprimand you all for disparaging our "wonderful" police, and to defend a system he apparently knows very little about!
ive lost track is he actually living in the UK full time yet ?

does he get out much ?
Reducing motoring costs - Mark (RLBS)
>ive lost track is he actually living in the UK full time yet ?
>does he get out much ?

Yes, and yes.

Stopped on Charing Cross road by the Police on Friday, as it happens.

And I know it doesn't fit your story, but they were polite, didn't hit me over the head, didn't fit me up, were not opressive, and didn't give me a ticket, despite me having offended - although it is fair to say that I had to listen to quite a lecture.
Reducing motoring costs - Alwyn
Hi Mark,

Can you tell us why the officer thought you needed a lecture?

>>Can you tell us why the officer thought you needed a lecture?

U-turn at a set of lights, when the lights in the opposite direction (that I went through in the second half of the "u") were red.
Reducing motoring costs - M.M
Mark,

So you were "lost" then ....officer!

David W
Well, I didn't realise the lights the other side were red, but I did know that a u-turn wasn't likely to be legal !!
>>Hang on I can hear Mark the Moderator coming, to reprimand you
>>all for disparaging our \"wonderful\" police, and to defend a
>>system he apparently knows very little about!

Would that I were the expert on policing that you clearly are on my thinking.

Foolish child.
Reducing motoring costs - Andy
>>Hang on I can hear Mark the Moderator coming, to reprimand
you
>>all for disparaging our \"wonderful\" police, and to defend a
>>system he apparently knows very little about!
Would that I were the expert on policing that you clearly
are on my thinking.
Foolish child.

Who's the fool I haven't been caught by plod yet!
Reducing motoring costs - Ben79
Nobody cares about car crime in Bradford, I have seen triple-overtaking in Bradford where both cars on the other 2 lanes have had to stop to save a 4+ car accident.

When you live in Bradford, you know where to be even more careful.

When I had the back half of a stereo pinched in Manchester, the local police came round to my house to ask questions. I just got up in the morning and found the cd player missing and a screwdriver hole in the door.

The WPC seems shocked that somebody would steal the back half of a stereo, especially more so when it was a similar model to the one in her car. I had to show the face plate as she didn't believe otherwise.

The authorities think that motorists are an easy touch as the honest ones will always pay up without questioning it, the dishonest go away.

The only way we can solve this crime is to have more manpower on the streets and less cameras.

I would like to know how much the number of convictions for dangerous driving has changed compared to number of speeding convictions.

Ben
well mark consider that lesson one

still full of confidence you will have completely reversed your opinion on UK policing within as year of full time life here, assuming you get out and about

how many people do you know who have been done for driving an inch from the car in front ? or driving in fog with no lights ? these common occurances are NEVER policed and yet cause far more accidents that a few mph over the limit in good conditions

even if you forget traffic issues plod have lost the plot in the UK, and I can show you known big time crims who have been living the life of riley for years - no fear whatsoever
Reducing motoring costs - Dwight Van Driver
It saddens me greatly to read comments of those that the hold the Police in such low esteem. I have come across this before and have found and know that the organisation is on par with any other. There are good, bad and indifferent and I agree there is no place for the later. I also have come across a derogation minority whose concepts of the Police Service result from ignorance and take no account of the problems facing the Police of today. Officers are expected to be all things to all men an impossiblity in itself. They are manacled by constraints of manpower, an ever increasing burden of paperwork to satisfy Courts and the legal profession, an increasing requirement to watch their backs through the demands of the PC Brigade and in managing failure of a litigious, beligerent, bellicose and hedonistic public. Decisions made when up the neck in Alligators are nit-picked over item by item in the cool light of day and the slightest error subject to thunderbolts. Complainers should bear in mind that the laws of the country are made and passed down to be enforced by the very people they elect. Cocooned in their cottonwool ivory towers may I suggest they take time to view www.policememorial.org.uk and, ignoring the road accidents, read about those who willingly did their duty exactly like those currently serving would do if called to do so for Joe Public.
I have been out some 15 years now but retain through my serving daughter an interest in The Job. What she is going through I would not tolerate nor would I serve in today's climate. Be thankful there are still some that do.
Finally, I appreciate the comments of Mark(RBLS) and others of the same vein that go a long way to redressing the balance.

DVD
Reducing motoring costs - M.M
Well stated DVD.

I get out and about, as I've done for the past 25 plus adult years.

I can hardly recall dealing with an unreasonable copper in all that time.....yes a few that wouldn't be my choice of desert island companion but absolutely no problems during the brief exchanges involved.

I've seen things that are not up to scratch in the police force management...but then the same goes for nearly all groups you meet in life.

David W
Reducing motoring costs - Cardew
Spot on DVD.

Andy Bairsto is going back to a country that values its police, has far more of them, pays them more and they enjoy a greater status in society.

Generally Germans accept laws and restrictions more readily than the British and the puerile anti police rhetoric, seen so often in the Backroom, is largely absent.

C
PS They also have speed cameras.
Reducing motoring costs - wemyss
DVD is absolutely correct in his defence of Police Officers who are a first class group of people trying to do a good job despite being handicapped by Politicians, Judges, PC brigade and everone in a position of authority.
These people have gone so far down the path of lunacy that it is almost impossible to carry out the tasks which the public pay for and want them to do.
It isn't only the police, don't we remember the soldiers in NI having to carry a little book which they were supposed to refer to when they were being attacked as to what force could be used.
And public enquiries decades after.
In my service in prisons it went just the same way with the same brigade laying down impractical rules with the whole emphasis on laying fault on the staff for any incident.
When the Strangeway riot was over counsellors waiting to give solace to the rioters for the horrors they had experienced. And of course compensation claims to start.
The lunatics have taken over the mad house.
But really DVD I think critisicm against the Police on this forum is a generalisation and not (I hope) against Policemen and women themselves, but the Generals behind the scenes which starts with the politicians (which includes Chief Constables) and works its way down through Judges, legal profession etc before we actually get to the men in the trenches who do the job. We know they only do what their daily detail tells them but they are the ones in the public eye and unfortunately take the flak.

Alvin,

I absolutely agree with your sentiments except I don't believe you are correct in the above statement.

An unpleasant theme that runs through the Backroom is that the Police are anti motorist both as a organisation and individually. It is unpalatable to some contributors to opinion that the police generally exercise tolerance and use their discretion in dealing with the motoring public.

For instance the police are always accused of nabbing the poor motorist at every opportunity simply because he is an easy target and to raise revenue. Yet in a thread a few months ago, nobody even knew of anyone prosecuted for travelling at 80mph on a motorway. Some easy pickings there if they wanted!

I am not arguing that the police are without fault, but IMHO much of the criticism they receive here lacks objectivity.

C

Reducing motoring costs - BrianW
Cardew
The problem is one of perception.
One sees police sponsored cameras and manned speed traps in what are plainly low-risk locations.
In high risk areas such as urban main roads one sees no police presence, despite some frankly suicidal, or even murderous, driving.
One gets a response to other crime, e.g. theft or burglary, which is measured in hours or days, as opposed to instantaneous prosecution for a technical offence.
The threat to ones licence and maybe livelyhood from driving down an unfamiliar road concentrating on hazards rather than watching your speedo is very real. e.g. coming back from Stansted a four o'clock in the morning on an empty road last week I could have collected six points in half an hour and been half way to losing my licence through keeping an eye out for the foxes etc. which were crossing the road rather than my speedo. Do you really need a 40 mph speed limit in the middle of the night on a road with good visibility?.

I believe that if minor motoring offences were removed from police jurisdiction and placed in the hands of a separate body, then the esteem of the police would be raised in the eyes of the public.police
Reducing motoring costs - Ian (Cape Town)
>>if minor motoring offences were removed from police jurisdiction and placed in the hands of a separate body...

Nooooooooo!
Like who? Like the independent clampers and car-removers?
There are already proposals here for the privatisation of speed cameras... My God, can you imagine if the thing was done on even more of a profit-making basis?
Brian,
I am not defending speed traps that are applied without common sense, like the examples you give. It is the blanket criticism of the police that I object to.

However I have to say that I personally do not have to keep my eyes glued to the speedo to maintain a steady speed.

You again rightly point out the lack of police response to crime in some areas. They only have finite resources and DVD points out the constraints under which they operate. The Saloon Bar solution is to either spend more money on the police(and Education, Health Service, Armed Forces etc) or change priority from traffic policing to fighting crime.

For the first solution most of us are unwilling to pay the increased taxes. For the second, the roads would be more dangerous.

Incidentally regarding your suggestion that "minor motoring offences were removed from police jurisdiction" the speed camera prosecution system has little police involvement and parking enforcement is normally privatised. Not a lot of discretion shown there!

C
Cardew
Like you, I have no objection to appropriately placed speed traps, operated at appropriate times. But these are in the minority.
The principles being applied are those of blanket restrictions, not appropriate ones, and the solution of taxing something that the authorities know they cannot stop.

As to paying increased taxes, these are already being paid, but the revenue is being mis-applied and squandered. You could put three police on the beat for the cost of one Downing Street spin doctor. Look at all the public sector "non-jobs" advertised in the Guardian. Look at all the useless regulations imposed on businesses and the compliance staff taken on to enforce them.

And BTW my point was not that we should take police off traffic duties and put them onto fighting crime. It was that the traffic police in the driving standards enforcement sense are not there in the first place.
Brian,
I see little point, in this thread, going into the rights or wrongs of Government spending priorities. We elect a government and we can vote them out if we don't like them, and no doubt the new lot will be the same.

It would appear we fundamentally disagree about the Police. I maintain that, by and large, they police with good humour and exercise their authority with discretion. Far more so than in Germany where I lived for many years, still visit regularly and admire.

I also believe that police are part of our society and the constant, and IMHO largely unjustified, criticism of them damages the society we live in.

C
Cardew
We do not disagree about the police. I fully support them and believe that they do their best within the resources that they are allocated.
However, those resources are clearly inadequate, hence the choice that has to be made between catching dangerous drivers and catching criminals, with the result that neither function can be carried out efficiently, and the over-reliance on technical devices which do little to achieve the objectives but merely antagonise.
>>well mark consider that lesson one

If it is a lesson, surely it is a lesson in the opposite direction to what you were expecting.

I don`t know why you dislike the police intensely, but clearly you do. I have heard the argument that \" I don\'t hate the policeman its the Police Force I hate\" or variations of it. However, that doesn\'t hold true in the comments that people make.

It also seems that anybody who disagrees and thinks the police do ok is immed. regarded as \"not getting out much\" or \"knowing nothing about the system\".

I do not dislike individual policeman, groups of policemen, or the police force overall.

My experience of them has varied, but virtually always been polite and reasonable, and *always* been honest. And in my time I have certainly given them reason not to be respectful or polite.

Do not lump me in with any statement beginning \"people think/want...\" because it almost cerainly doesn\'t include me.

NB: I reprimanded myself and edited this to be much less agressive than when I initialy posted it.
Benny,

Part answer to your question on offences here to 1998.

www.transtat.dft.gov.uk/tables/tsgb00/4/42100.htm

You will see that accident offences halved in 10 years and speed limit offences doubled. Probably much bigger numbers of the latter in 2001/2002.
Benny

Figures for 2000 here.

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/motosupps00.pdf
DVD Re

"It saddens me greatly to read comments of those that the hold the Police in such low esteem. I have come across this before and have found and know that the organisation is on par with any other. There are good, bad and indifferent and I agree there is no place for the later. I also have come across a derogation minority whose concepts of the Police Service result from ignorance and take no account of the problems facing the Police of today. Officers are expected to be all things to all men an impossiblity in itself. They are manacled by constraints of manpower, an ever increasing burden of paperwork to satisfy Courts and the legal profession, an increasing requirement to watch their backs through the demands of the PC Brigade and in managing failure of a litigious, beligerent, bellicose and hedonistic public. Decisions made when up the neck in Alligators are nit-picked over item by item in the cool light of day and the slightest error subject to thunderbolts. Complainers should bear in mind that the laws of the country are made and passed down to be enforced by the very people they elect. Cocooned in their cottonwool ivory towers may I suggest they take time to view www.policememorial.org.uk and, ignoring the road accidents, read about those who willingly did their duty exactly like those currently serving would do if called to do so for Joe Public.
I have been out some 15 years now but retain through my serving daughter an interest in The Job. What she is going through I would not tolerate nor would I serve in today's climate. Be thankful there are still some that do.
Finally, I appreciate the comments of Mark(RBLS) and others of the same vein that go a long way to redressing the balance.

"

I have absolute respect for the ordinary coppers trying to do their best while managed badly

they are on the whole inadequately trained
badly assigned, and directed
suffer officers put through the accelerated promotion with way too little experience of real life - leaving way too much responsility on the long serving junior supervisors on the gorund

and as an institution they have lots and lots to sort out

and compared with many other countries i have lived im afriad the british bobby is not best!

it is totally unacceptable what is happening in some of our big cities and rural areas

Reducing motoring costs - simonjl
Something I heard of interest on Radio 4 (so probably untrue) - New York - which isn't a cheap, low wage place but does have improving crime rates, has a police budget roughly the same as the Metropolitan Police BUT has twice as many uniformed officers. How do they manage it?

Secondly if you atend an average Magistrates court in the UK you will find a lot of fines/"totting" bans being imposed for the terrible trio of No Tax, No Insurance and No MOT - so someone must be giving them tickets.

SL

Reducing motoring costs - MarkyMarkD
Something I heard of interest on Radio 4 (so probably untrue)
- New York - which isn't a cheap, low wage place
but does have improving crime rates, has a police budget roughly
the same as the Metropolitan Police BUT has twice as many
uniformed officers. How do they manage it?
Secondly if you atend an average Magistrates court in the UK
you will find a lot of fines/"totting" bans being imposed for
the terrible trio of No Tax, No Insurance and No MOT
- so someone must be giving them tickets.
SL

But Simon, what's the point when the fine for the terrible trio is less than one year's insurance (even at rates for non-criminal types).

And what effect banning drivers who just drive unlicensed anyway?

A lot of good speed cameras are against such drivers when the car won't be registered in the right name. And with virtually no police on the road stopping drivers, nothing will be achieved about this either.

About the only vaguely sensible suggestion for the use of cameras is to identify cars which are not taxed - because those which aren't taxed are normally not insurered or MOT'd either - but how can this work if the car can't be traced because the name and address on the log book is meaningless?

The police hours wasted on loitering by the side of the road to catch speeding motorists would be far better used if they were positioned to catch vehicles flagged up as not taxed - and like I say probably not insured or MOT'd either - and these vehicles should be confiscated on the spot as *part* punishment for this series of crimes.
Reducing motoring costs - Ian (Cape Town)
The WPC seems shocked that somebody would steal the back half
of a stereo ...

That's what the crims want ... they broke in, hoping you, like a lot of gormless idjits out there simply 'hid' the face under the seat, or in the glovebox.

Now there is NO back-end in sight, so they know not to break in again ...

The same thing happened with fluorescent orange fibreglass rhinocerous horns - I kid you not!
Rangers dart rhinos, lop off horn, superglue a dayglo one on, yet the poachers still shoot the rhinos - so they don't have to track them anymore ...
Reducing motoring costs - BigTJ
I moved to Bradford area about 4 years ago. I have a theory that all major manufacturers produce special "West Yorkshire" models identical in all respects to normal models except they don't fit any of the working parts of the indicator system.

Wonder if you'd noticed this as well...
Reducing motoring costs - Armitage Shanks{P}
If you are bothered about untaxed cars there is a form you can download from the DVLC or is it DVLA, website; fill it in saying make, model, reg mark, where did you seeit and what was wrong with the tax (none or expired) and post it to your nearest DVLA/C office. When I was much younger I used to put "TAX EXPIRED" stickers in the middle of the driver's side of the windscreen with very strong glue but I am bit past that now!
>>I am returning...for good to a land that still thinks law an order to be an important thing.

And that would mean all laws, or merely the ones you approve of ?

If its all laws, that would include speed cameras, responses to requests for driver details etc. etc.

People complain that a lack of VED on a car is not enforced. On the other hand people bitch to high heaven that speed cameras are used against speeding.

Now, whatever the truth of speed in relation to accidents is, it has to be more than VED non-payment related to accidents.

I suspect the difference is that most people here pay their VED and therefore believe it should be enforced against everyone, but people here also speed and therefore believe that law should not be enforced.

Also, what do the police do ? If they enforce speed cameras then you lot drop on them; if they do not, then the anti-speed people drop on them.

What woudl you do ? If it was me I would probably enforce the law and whether you like it or not, that includes speed limits.

And as for not being able to obey a speed limit because you are looking for other hazards, what utter tosh !

First, its a speed limit, not a compulsory speed. So if you are in a 40, then aim to drive at 30. Then you wouldn't have to look at your speedo that often, unless you are unable to even judge that difference in speed.

Second, do you really find controlling the speed of your vehicle such a trial when looking for other hazards ? If so, maybe we better drop the speed limit another 10mph and keep repeating it until you canhandle all the things you need to.

And if you can't spot a camera or a speed limit or are incapable of maintaining a certain speed, then lets hope that any children who decide to run out in front of you either make themselves very conspicuous, or make an appointment with you first.

Be honest, people want to speed and they are upset because other people are telling them not to. THere are no finer feelings involved. Simply a desire to drive at the speed that you wish to.
And by the way, while we are talking about the police victimising the general public, I assume that we haven't lost sight of the fact that it is the general public who cause the problem in the first place ?

It is they who commit the crimes.
It is they who vote for the people who make these laws.

etc.
Sentencing Statistics - BrianW
Some interesting figures produced by the Home Office reveal that between 1974 and 2000, the number of males sentenced for motoring offences increased from 949 out of a total of 352,833 convictions to 70,108 out of a total of 361,664, a 73-fold increase.
The only other category to show a noticeable increase was drugs offences, but that was only fourfold.
Convictions for vehicle theft and theft from a vehicle fell by two-thirds.

Even more startling, female motoring convictions increased from 33 to 6,604, a 200-fold increase at a time when total female convictions fell from 56,849 to 54,132.

Draw your own conclusions.
Sentencing Statistics - Cardew
Brian,
Where did you get these statistics? and what do they mean? All convictions? Jailed?

I simply cannot believe that only 949 males and 33 females were sentenced for motoring offences in 1974.

C
Cardew
The source is the Home Office publication "Breaking the Circle" (a report of the review of the rehabilitation of offenders act)published July 2002, Annex F: Changes to sentencing and offence patterns, tables on pp 83 and 84.
PS
That will be the numbers dealt with through the courts.
Add on a million to the 2000 figures for fixed penalties, which were almost non-existent in 1974!
Brian,
We are danger of becoming real anoraks on this.

However there is a 48 page report on the official Home Office site that contains every sort of statistic for motoring offences over the last decade. The total number of motoring offences each year since 1995 has been 9 to 10 MILLION (9-10,000,000)

For 2000 it was as follows:-
Fixed Penalty notices = 3.1million
Court proceedings = 2.1 million
Penalty charge notice = 4.7 million
Written Warning = 0.1 million
VDRS Notice = 0.1 million
Total = 10.0 million ? their arithmetic not mine!

Your figures just don't make sense - they must be qualified by some factor.

C
Try this:
www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/hosb2401.pdf

C
Thanks, Cardew, I'll have a look at that site and also re-read the report when I get to work tomorrow.
If it doesn't add up I'll ask my contacts at the Home Office to explain!
If the true total is 10 million per annum then that is a shocking persecution of one third of all licence-holders and must outweigh all other "offences2 by a factor of around 10 or 20 to one!
Sentencing Statistics - Ed V
Two things occur to me.

1. How many newcomers this site now has compared to 2000, and
2. These stats still make my mind boggle! What can they be in 2008!