Shocking standards of bus drivers - PW
Have just had a truly shocking encounter with a bus, that has left me absolutely fuming. Close to home I came along a stretch of road, my carriageway was clear, but the opposing carriageway had a line of parked cars (as is usually the case). As I was about half way along the row of parked cars saw a bus coming down the unobstructed railway bridge at the end of the straight. I know the driver would have seen me from experience, as was high enough to look over the row of cars. Nevertheless, without slowing down he pulled into the opposing carriageway directly into my path. Luckily I was able to stop in time, and he squeezed into the a gap just big enough- but took some time to get in.

The thing that amazes me, once past the gap he squeezed into, there were about 3 cars on the opposing carriageway- so had he stopped then- would have had about 10 second wait for me to come through. Instead he had a much greater delay with having to shoehorn in bus into the gap. I really dont know if he expected me to reverse for him, or go into someones driveway, but if the former I would have had to reverse past about 10 car, through a chicane, another car and then go round a blind bend backwards.

Got home, and phoned the company. I wont name them here, but as we have 2 bus companies in Weston Super Mare, should point out was not the second bus company with the orange buses (forgotten their name). Was trying to stay calm, and was polite, but was fuming- unfortunately had the wrong number, so have sent my complaint via e mail. I just cannot believe the arrogance, ignorance and total disregard for the safety of passengers and other road users. Am well aware their driving standards are appalling, but this truly has plumbed new depths for me- pulling onto wrong side of road despite oncoming traffic.

Although I wasnt able to get the bus number of registration as was preoccupied by it approaching me at speed, I am severely tempted to report this to Police, as with driving standards like this it is a public safety issue.

Can probably tell, nearly 2 hours later and I'm still fuming.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Tron
>I know the driver would have seen me from experience as he was high enough to >look over the row of cars.

As much as I empathise with you PW over this as we all know (too well) there are certain classes of driver out there that feel they have the right of way over any other vehicle on the road.

This is why I will and I am always ready to give way - even if I don't have to.

I have to openly ask you to look at (without being openly confrontational) who was the more aggressive driver here? You say that you saw the bus approaching you on the correct side of the road and before the parked vehicles but yet failed to see if it was reducing its speed or mention if it did or did not indicate its intentions?

Did the bus driver genuinely see you or did you just presume and openly take for granted he had seen you and would honour your right of passage?

Why did you not pre-empt the actions of this driver to wrongly take the right of way by reducing your speed and leaving a larger safety margin for all concerned?

I totally agree with you, from your written word, that the other driver should have given way to you but a 1 ton car v an 8+ ton bus?! You are certainly braver than I!

Most buses carry CCTV these days that not only record internally but also externally of the vehicle to stop false insurance claims.

Time date & location of this vehicle will be sufficient for the bus company, and if you so decide the police, to locate this vehicle and recover the data - if it is there.

Edited by Tron on 12/09/2008 at 20:21

Hi Tron, I did reduce my speed, as could see what he was going to do as there was no reduction in speed by him.

The problem was, as stated in original post, was that I was well and truly committed, having already passed roughly 10 parked cars, and short of driving up the pavement and onto someones garden had nowhere to go.

To get past the parked cars would have taken me a matter of seconds, to reverse and cede right of way I would have had to back up past the 10 or so cars I had already gone past- through a single carriageway chicane (with priority to the direction of travel I was originally taking and then round a sharp blind bend.

I do subscribe to James May Christian motoring principles, and if someones been waiting some time, or has a queue of traffic behind them will give up my supposed right of way in the hope that one day it will be recripocated- and no matter where I am in the queue will always give a thank you wave and smile to anyone who waits for me.

The case here was that the bus barged through when I had absolutely no where to go. I use the road on an almost daily basis, and always approach that section with a lot of caution expecting to have to give way to oncoming traffic as it is such a major bottle neck. There was nothing behind me, so would have cost the bus driver mere seconds to wait.

Coincidentally local free paper has just arrived- and there are 2 stories of the same bus company being involved in accidents this week including one peson having to be airlifted to hospital after being struck by a bus- although must stress not read who was at fault in both of these.
Hi PW - he was that aggressive?

Good to hear I am not the only Mr May fan out there!

Note to self - when in WSM - stay away from the buses!

I bet if I mention (shhhhhhh) taxi very quitely it will probably start a whole new debate!

Yes, totally. Is why I did hesitate when I saw him approaching. It is quite commonplace for buses to barge out of side roads when not clear, to pull out from bus stops even when cars are overtaking. Standard practice is to indicate left at bus stop. As soon as ready start pulling away as soon as indicating right regardless of traffic alongside.

There are a couple of drivers who do now smile and acknowledge if have been let through, but bulk just glare at other road users.

Of the incident with the man being knocked over, he was crossing the road- emerging from a parked van- Police are investigating as not clear if was an accident or deliberate act.

I do try and give them a very wide berth as I know who is going to come off worst!
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Pugugly
As a Police Officer once advised me - if you see a bus in a confined space, stop and let him through. In the event of an accident, your statement is very simple.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - stunorthants26
The title suggested there was more than one bus driver at fault here, seems you just came across a bad one.
The one thing that gets me with the buses in my home town is how they will give way to each other and no one (no, not even taxi's) else.

This is most evident at traffic lights because they will stop on a green and let their colleagues turn right (yep, holding all up behind them) and also slow down to an almost stop on roundabouts. Once again just to to let their mate out (and no one else) causing further utter chaos all around them.

I think I will write to Mr J Clarkson on this one as I feel he has flogged the caravan issue to a death and now needs a new target!

Stu - you mean there are good bus drivers out there?! All I ever see are aggressive ones and I am not just saying that to draw a debate.

Edited by Tron on 12/09/2008 at 23:04

Cue an invasion of this site by cross bus drivers.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - frazerjp
As a passenger, I have noticed in the past 7-8 years bus drivers have got more reckless, they tend to speed along roads, going round corners with no consideration for their passengers.
I believe it's due to their timetables, turnaround times getting ever tighter.
And poor pay.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - CarNovice28
Yep - in our town, bus drivers think they own the road!

Shocking standards of bus drivers - NowWheels
I agree that bus drivers have gotten more reckless, but I don't think it's only a product of tighter timetables (though they can't help). The other problem is that in many areas the wages of bus drivers have been driven down so far since privatisation that there is a high turnover rate. This is particularly bad in London, but even in cheaper parts of the country bus driving is no longer a job which can feed a family, so drivers leave as soon as they can find something with better pay. The result is a very number of new recruits, who are pushed out to drive a bus full of passengers with inadequate training :(

It doesn't help too that roads are so congested and many drivers are reluctant to give priority to a bus.
many drivers are reluctant to give priority to a bus

Even when they're obliged to by the Highway Code.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - grumpyscot
The one thing that gets me with the buses in my home town is how
they will give way to each other and no one (no not even taxi's) else.

In Edinburgh, the drivers only give way to other drivers from the same depot. there is open rivalry between the three depots. But in general, the drivers give way to no one and expect everyone to knuckle down to them. It's sometimes quite fun to watch the rivalry between the bus drivers and the local council lorry drivers!

I just keep out of their way! (Survival instinct kicks in!)
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Andrew-T
I believe there have been incidents in Manchester recently caused by the companies over-recruiting drivers from E.European countries, and sending them out (let us say) prematurely. Can that have happened in WsM ?
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Lud
Rather unusually, I had to reverse thirty or forty yards for a double decker in Westbourne Park Road yesterday. Fortunately the person behind me was far enough behind to twig and stop back there where I would have stopped if buses didn't seem suddenly to have got about a foot wider. I'm sure a Routemaster would have squeezed past. But the driver of this thing didn't even try.

Are some of these modern buses wider? I wouldn't put it past the carphound Livingstone to have approved something like that or even favoured it.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Stuartli
Many bus drivers have adopted the level of HGV drivers on our motorways who pull out at the very last minute and caused completely unnecessary evasive action.

I am currently in dispute with our local snip bus company over the disgraceful behaviour of a small minority of its drivers, plus the fact that the management do not seem to have any level of control over such shenanigans.

The key reason appears to be the difficulty in recruiting new drivers.

Edited by Pugugly on 13/09/2008 at 08:57

The key reason appears to be the difficulty in recruiting new drivers.

If you pay peanuts, you get **** :(

I have blanked out the word because it's unfairly derogatory, but the saying still has some merit. I doubt that the calibre of those recruited has dropped much; this looks to me like one of those situations where low pay and poor conditions make workers move on as soon as they have acquired the basic skills and can command a higher wage elsewhere, and there isn't an endless supply of replacements.

Personally, I think it's scandalous that bus drivers are not paid properly. They have a high-stress job and are responsible for the safety of a lot of people, and it's a strange world that rewards them so poorly while paying huge bonuses to the people who have nearly destroyed our financial system. Having been thrown down the stairs of a London double-decker twice on one journey (by a novice driver who hadn't been trained how to drive gently), and thrown around on other buses by drivers who think that the brake is an on/off switch, I'm amazed that the level of injury isn't an awful lot higher.

When I was a kid, bus driving was a prized job. Drivers got a good wage and job security, so they stayed in post for years and developed high skills. In those days, there was a queue of well-qualified applicants for every drivers job, rather than a throng passing through the exit gate.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - gordonbennet
Many bus drivers have adopted the level of HGV drivers on our motorways who pull
out at the very last minute and caused completely unnecessary evasive action.

Amazed it took this long before truck drivers came into the picture, as the evil twin of course..

There are some here who know better how to drive large vehicles , maybe they could gain the licence reqd and take to the roads to show the rest how to do it.
When the employers saw just how productive, safe, economical, add your own here, these new recruits are then they would pay huge salaries in the hope of attracting more, it would be in their interests to do so, i await my huge increase then...oh no i'll be one getting the push..;)

I agree with the other poster by the way, if the pays poor it limits your choice of candidates, but as few people ever have a succesful insurance dispute when they collide with a bus, i don't see the problem for the bus companies, so cheap it is then.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - L'escargot
The thread title should be "Shocking standards of a bus driver". As it is, it makes it look as if you think they're all as bad as one another ~ and they're not.
makes it look as if you think they're all as bad as one another ~
and they're not.

Well said that man, if there had been a telephone number on the back of a West Midlands double decker going South into Walsall last week i would have phoned to tell them just how good and considerate at least one of their number are.

It was filthy and wet with standing water all over, i followed this bus down the road, he indicated left as there was a young mum with pushchair and children waiting, large puddles just before and after (within 6 ft) of the stop, he pulled the bus gently to in the dry section with no splash, and after the family had got on, it took him about 20 seconds to move as he waited for them to settle....top driver there and well done him, bet he was old school..;)
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Badwolf
The thread title should be "Shocking standards of a bus driver". As it is it
makes it look as if you think they're all as bad as one another ~
and they're not.

Having argued with you in one thread, I'm now going to agree with you in another! :-)

The OP said: "Am well aware their driving standards are appalling." Oh, are you? Have you monitored every single bus driver in the country? No? Well don't tar them all with the same brush then. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are some dreadful bus drivers out there but for every bad one, there is one who drives safely and courteously.

I used the coach side of one of the major bus groups (the one that Dick Turpin used) to get from Manchester to Bournemouth last week and was truly shocked by the standard of one of the drivers. He was a cross between Michael Schumacher and Stevie Wonder. Foot flat to the floor, heavy on the brakes, accelerating around roundabouts. Dreadful.

I think that other posters above are spot on when they mention the poor wages. Also the lack of support from management and the impossibly tight schedules dreamt up by some gimp in an office go a long way to perhaps explaining attitudes.

Also, as mentioned before, most drivers out there are new. I worked for the turquoise ones in my home town (Southport) before I left to drive coaches and when I applied to go back they wouldn't take me. So they'd rather have new, inexperienced drivers piloting 40 foot, 14 tonne buses around than drivers with 11 years' experience. Says a lot does that.

>>Can probably tell, nearly 2 hours later and I'm still fuming.

Anger management perhaps...? :-)
Having argued with you in one thread I'm now going to agree with you in
another! :-)

Discussed, not argued. ;-)
Shocking standards of bus drivers - b308
I used the coach side of one of the major bus groups (the one that
Dick Turpin used) to get from Manchester to Bournemouth last week and was truly shocked
by the standard of one of the drivers. He was a cross between Michael Schumacher
and Stevie Wonder. Foot flat to the floor heavy on the brakes accelerating around roundabouts.

To be fair that applies to all road users, and train drivers - I know one or two train drivers which fall into the above catagory and one or two (older ones.... a common thread perhaps?) who are as smooth as silk even when pushing on...

It does seem to be an "I'm bigger than you so get out of my way" sort of world out there on the roads these days, though....

Edited by b308 on 13/09/2008 at 10:11

>>Train drivers {;-)

I just cannot resist this one!!!

You tube link to add some humour to all of your days!

tinyurl.com/3q89g3

Shocking standards of bus drivers - R75
And not forgetting of course that things are about to get a whole lot worse!!!!!

As from this year for PCV drivers and next for LGV drivers they will need additional training in the form of 35 hours over 5 years to gain a drivers CPC (certificate of professional competence) without it their licences will not be valid. This will take an awful lot of experienced but part time drivers out of the pool. It will also mean many smaller companies will not be able to afford to train their own drivers so will recruit those who may have gained the CPC from elsewhere (read as more imported labour).

So expect standards to drop rapidly IMHO, another ill conceived idea lobbied for by 3 main parties (RHA, FTA and Skills for Logistics) who had somewhat of a vested interested in making it happen!!!
R75, I'm no fan of excessive regulation, but surely 7 hours training per year isn't a huge burden?
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Sofa Spud
Generally, I find the standard of bus and lorry driving quite good, compared to that of cars and vans - but when you do get a bad one it stands out more.

I remember once I was approaching a long uphill stretch on and A road where there were roadworks traffic lights. These lights changed to red well before I got to them, so I stopped, only to be met with blairing horn and a load of abuse from the artic driver behind. Anyway, when the lights changed, I accelerated away, while the lorry made a slow start on the climb uphill. At the top there was a layby, so I stopped, found a pen and piece of paper and, as the lorry passed about a minute later, I got its number, making sure the driver saw me writing it down. When I got home, I phoned the relevant transport company to report the driver!
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Andrew-T
>Met with blairing horn ... <

I like that concept. Might Gordon B be interested?
That's so funny

Edited by Pugugly on 14/09/2008 at 00:23

Shocking standards of bus drivers - R75
R75 I'm no fan of excessive regulation but surely 7 hours training per year isn't
a huge burden?

For an owner driver it is, not only is he loosing a days revenue but he is also having to pay the £3-4-500 days training rate - not that the rates have been released by the training providers yet!!!! Only the larger companies would benefit from economies of scale. And that is aside from those of us who hold vocational licences but use them maybe only once or twice a year, we would have to pay for the training ourselves and it would not be viable to do.

Also many operators will just put staff on short term contracts or make them pay for the training themselves. This scheme only benefits the RHA and FTA. it is like asking an intensive care nurse to go on a course to learn how to answer a phone!! Yes they need to know how to do it, but do they really need a days training on how to do it!!! Look up the modules and see for your self, they are so general it is a joke.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Cymrogwyllt
As from this year for PCV drivers and next for LGV drivers they will need
additional training in the form of 35 hours over 5 years to gain a drivers
CPC (certificate of professional competence) without it their licences will not be valid. This will
take an awful lot of experienced but part time drivers out of the pool. It
will also mean many smaller companies will not be able to afford to train their
own drivers so will recruit those who may have gained the CPC from elsewhere

I'm in that position having been driving PCV part time ftom '91. every weekend and all holidays for many of the years. Despite having to quit my full time job I'll have to think seriously about renewing the license next year as the cost of the course will probably make it not worth it.

Most of the small companies around here, and I dare say elsewhere, rely on the part timers to do school runs etc. result: greater shortage of drivers.
In response to a few of the comments here- apologies if it seems I was irate after a single incident. My wife and I have both said on many occassions that the driving standards of the local bus company are pretty low.

Normally though they are pretty minor to me- on our estates the buses ignore the T-Junctions and pull out of side roads into oncoming traffic. As all the junctions and bends on the estate are single lane as traffic calming measures it means oncoming traffic has to give way. Not normally a problem, let the bus pass, very short delay and put it down to daft town planning.

In this case I had no escape route- reversing meant going back about 150- 200 yards, round a blind bend- and nowhere to go on either side. The bus only slowed down at the last minute, and it was very unsettling having a 53 seat bus coming at me on the wrong side of the road.

My main concern was that if this was typical of the driving standards of the bus drivers then it was only a matter of time before there was a serious accident.
A thought - if you had "frozen" like some people do and just stopped without pulling in I wonder what he'd have done? From the position of your car it would have been obvious that he was in the wrong! And if he had carried on and hit you I suspect he could have lost his licence.... As I said before a classic case of "I'm bigger than you" driving...

Edited by b308 on 14/09/2008 at 09:42

? From the position of your car it
would have been obvious that he was in the wrong! And if he had carried

If only things worked like that, 30 years ago i was stationary in traffic in a local town, when a local bus came out of the bus stop and scraped the whole of the side of the bus along the front wing of my land crab.

Well the chap in the car behind gave me his details and told me he would be glad to be my witness, he was furious with the bus driver.

Well 6 months later my insurance renewal comes in and lo and behold i have lost my NCB, i phoned to query the error and was informed that as they also insured the local authority bus company they had called it knock for knock, (not happy), despite my witness.
They even suggested i could only get my no claims reinstated by taking the bus company to court and winning my case.
Needless to say a young married chap with children and mortgage and just about able to afford to run a hand painted land crab rushed out to take them to the high court...;)
Probably a little easier now, but i wouldn't want to put it to the test.
Shocking standards of bus drivers - tintin01
Here is the recent Manchester story. Two bus company bosses were jailed for lying to an inquiry over a fatal accident caused by one of their drivers:

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1056933_dea...d

"They found that the Polish driver of the vehicle involved in the collision which killed Mr Pilling had been working for 19 consecutive days - six more than the legal limit.

They also uncovered that one driver had been working for 31 days without a 24-hour break. The inquiry found that many drivers were going without training. The firm had undergone a huge expansion in 2005 and employed high numbers of Polish drivers. Double decker buses are not seen in Poland and most had not driven one before."
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Cymrogwyllt
Double decker buses
are not seen in Poland and most had not driven one before."

My licence, in common with many others was single deck only

overnight it changed to single and double deck. No big deal as I'd driven both when training including the 'happy wanderer' (Fleetline)

double deckers were only about three and a half feet higher than single IIRC a leyland Leopard was 11 ft odd and doubles are under 14 ft 6 in. modern single decker coaches are nearly as high as double deckers.

sadly it's standard to see the top front nearside corner of a double dinged and repaired due to overhanging trees on our roads. On some routes you learn where not to pull in to the left due to clonks and squeals from the tourists on the top deck.

Playing 'spot the tourist' was fun on a PD1 the locals knew about the leather seats but the tourists did not and often ended up on the floor after a sharp corner.
sadly it's standard to see the top front nearside corner of a double dinged and
repaired due to overhanging trees on our roads.

This should be a problem of the past as i and my cohorts try our best to trim the trees up with your new cars, we aim to please..;);)
Shocking standards of bus drivers - Dave_TD
The one thing that gets me how [buses] will give way to each other and no one (no, not even taxi's) else.

No one else, ESPECIALLY not taxis! In fact when I drove cabs they (bus drivers) used to actively baulk us whenever possible.

I once parked just before a marked bus stop to pick up an elderly lady, a bus pulled into the bus stop and scuffed the o/s/f corner of my (then brand new) Skoda while I was putting the lady's shopping in the boot - she was getting in the n/s/r door at the time and it rocked the car and quite upset her. The bus driver started driving off as I ran to his door, then when stopped him and asked for his name or driver number told me "look on the front of the pfd bus!" and drove off. The depot manager sounded as though mine wasn't the first comment he'd had on that particular driver that day.

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:34

Shocking standards of bus drivers - politbike
"Knock for knock" is just about the most misunderstood and misused motoring term there is. It is nothing to do with losing your NCD when you think you were in the right. It is also known as a "claims sharing agreement", and works like this:

- Driver 1 is insured comprehensively with Insurance Company A and has an accident with Driver 2, who is insured comprehensively with Insurance Company B. On this occasion, Driver 1 is at fault, but rather than Insurance Company A paying Insurance Company B, both companies acknowledge that in another incident, the blame would be the other way around and statistically, the costs & blame should balance out 50/50 over the course of the year. So, to save time and administration/legal costs, each company pays their own clients costs and agree to allow or disallow the NCD purely on the strength of the accident descriptions, admissions of blame and witness evidence.

However, not every insurance company subscribes to claim sharing agreements, as some insurers will happily take on higher risk drivers, who may statistically cause 75% of the blameworthy accidents in a year, throwing the balance of costs out of kilter. In addition, most bus companies 30 years ago were owned by local councils and were therefore self insured, so a claim sharing agreement would not have been possible. For the driver to have lost his NCD, there would have been some other reason, such as that he was considered to have been wholly or partially responsible for the accident.

People seem too quick to criticise bus drivers, whereas the greatest problem is arrogant car drivers who think they have nothing more to learn. I was once following a car whose wheel trim was loose. I gave a quick pip on the horn and pointed at his wheel, but he ignored me with that rigid, pursed lips type of expression which belied his arrogance. At the next traffic lights, he wound his window down and yelled "What's your pink fluffy dice problem?". I replied "your car's on fire". "what, where, oh no..." his manner changed immediately. I then continued "it isn't, but if it was, you'd have burned to death by now, didn't you hear my horn? Actually, your wheel trim fell off five miles back, but if you aren't bothered, that's your problem".

Sorry to carry on, but our roads are killing fields because of the standard of driving in this country. Our government refuses to do anything about it, because bad drivers also vote. However, minorities like bus drivers, HGV drivers and motorcyclists are an easy target. And yes, I am qualified to comment - 16 years as a motor claims handler, now a bus driver, Smith System trained, Motorcyclists (advanced rider) 25 years, car driver 21 years, Driving Instructor grade 5....

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2008 at 02:20

Shocking standards of bus drivers - stunorthants26
I hear, on a regular basis, from my mum about the horrific abuse bus drivers suffer from at the hands of the public. Assults, bricks thrown at windscreens, vandalism and verbal abuse all while piloting a large vehicle often through town centres. An easy job it is not, spare a thought.
Drivers around here (a rural idyll) have been issued with "spit kits" because of small minded, racist pigs that masquerade as passengers.
Think that all public transport employees in the "front line" get them these days, PU, all the trains guards do as well as revenue protection staff... and we've done a few people with them since they were introduced as well!
I just wish we had buses. If we did I would accept any standard of driving from their drivers.