Banking on breakdown cover - El Hacko
interesting and salutory experience of a driver in one of the weekend papers' Money sections...
She had breakdown cover (Green Flag's roadside assistance) "free" as part of paying for a "premium" bank acct. On way home from Wiltshire to home in Wales car died, stranding her on on M4 hard shoulder. She phoned Green Flag, told 'em she was 23 miles from the Severn Bridge on English side. Recovery vehicle arrived (in 30 mins, not the 60 they predicted), but there was bad news. Under the bank's policy she was only covered for a 10 mile radius of home. Later complained she had been misled, but bank pointed out she had been sent all info re Green Flag cover - she thought it was "junk mail".
Lesson: always check the small print - and remember, banks never give anything away!

Edited by Pugugly on 17/08/2008 at 09:53

Banking on breakdown cover - Simon
This is quite common especially on 'free' breakdown polices and the basic ones that you can buy for £40 or so.

You only get the very basic cover which is usually roadside assistance and free towing either to the nearest local garage or elsewhere within 10 or so miles. It will get you off the side of the road, but it won't take you home to the other end of the country.

The key is obviouslly to read all of the documentation, or if you buy it read the terms and conditions of that level of cover. Most people only find out exactly what they are/aren't covered for though when they need to use it.
Banking on breakdown cover - Bill Payer
Appreciate the "heads up" on this, but I don't think that's standard practice - I was sent an offer for NatWest's Black card the other day which includes breakdown cover, operated by Green Flag. The brief details provided talk about long distance recovery back to home.

However there is a comment (but no details) about breakdown within a mile of home, so it could we be that that isn't covered.

Edited by Bill Payer on 17/08/2008 at 11:07

Banking on breakdown cover - teabelly
My OH was caught out by these freebie policies twice. Once because the ins co had cancelled the included breakdown cover and not told him and again when he had a free greenflag policy and broke down 200 miles from home. It was outside Greenflag's office hours, just after 8pm, so he couldn't upgrade to a proper policy and the recovery guy said if he wanted recovering all the way home it was going to be several hundred quid!!! So he said no, bought gallons of bottled water and limped home taking 10 hours.

Is there any research on how close to home breakdowns usually occur? If more than 50% are more than 10 miles then these policies are not fit for purpose. A reasonable person would expect that they would be recovered to a single destination of their choice or just home and the car to a garage nearby as a minimum. I'd assume basic recovery would recover me home and my car to a nearby garage that was either near to where I broke down or near home. Premium cover would recover me home and the car to a garage of my choice even if it was miles away from either the breakdown location or my home.
Banking on breakdown cover - gordonbennet
Same as usual, if its cheaper than chips there's a reason.

Glad this threads come up though, my Autohome recovery ran out this weekend, must get on the blower first thing.
Banking on breakdown cover - Marc
I was caught out (my own fault) about 10 years ago and have had recovery or "relay" ever since. Bit similar to Teabelly's example except my journey was only 30 or so miles stopping at every petrol station to fill the rad (luckily there were loads of stations on the A1 then) Helpful patrol had crimped the rad the best he could and followed me for 5 miles.

More recently a car of mine came with the manufacturer's roadside assistance so I cancelled my own cover. I had to have some warranty work done and the next time I drove the car the "warranty work" literally fell to bits on the M4 about 30 miles from home. I called the breakdown service and the guy came out but said under the terms of cover they could only take me to the nearest main dealer.

Through explaining the situation over the phone I managed to convince them to take me to my local dealer instead as it was their workmanship which had put me in this situation.

As has been said always read the small print. And as a further point, if you are relying on a manufacturer's scheme make sure your car has been serviced on time - they do check before desptatching assistance! I do wonder how you would get on in this case if your car was serviced at an independent using "approved parts"...

Edited by Marc on 17/08/2008 at 13:30

Banking on breakdown cover - mike hannon
It's no wonder (most) people these days are so cynical, is it?
Nothing ever seems to live up to the PR does it, when you need it most?
Best to remember the advice above - if you want something you can rely on, organise and pay for it yourself.
Banking on breakdown cover - El Hacko
especially interesting PS - for space reasons I didn't relate whole story. The driver concerned was going to cancel her Premium Cover, but the bank put pressure on by reminding her of the "benefits"..
I know, caveat emptor always, but financial institutions so often prove to be pretty wicked outfits.
As Mike H says, if you want to rely on summat, do it yourself, independently!
Banking on breakdown cover - Westpig
my father-in-law flew down from Scotland earlier in the year and I lent him my car for a few days to visit relatives.

sod's law, the only time in 6.5 years i've owned it, it broke down in the wilds of Wiltshire(dodgy throttle sensor, which put it in limp home mode, which frightened the wotsit out of him on the M25)

his Lexus breakdown cover gave him a brand new Saab hire car which arrived within the hour, recovered my car 100 miles to my local Independent and a hotel at the airport for the night before flying home from Stansted.

Was impressed with that... the next day I upgraded my AA cover to the whole lot
Banking on breakdown cover - carl_a
Lesson: always check the small print - and remember banks never give anything away!

This lady wasn 't getting something for free, but pay for a "premium" account. These accounts are never worth it, avoid any account that you have to pay for.
Banking on breakdown cover - Hamsafar
Premium accounts are there for customers who get given them for free as they are rich. The banks advertise them as a paid service to give the customers who get them for free an illusion of a value.
Banking on breakdown cover - Paddler Ed
I've managed to get Manufacturers cover on my car, even though it's 8years old and nearly 200k... Think that it helps that it has always been serviced at the main dealers, with the bits that are big money jobs being done at local indies (ie head gasket)

Had to call them out the other day, as my engine was not happy with the idea of sparking... RAC were there spot on their quoted time, and got it fixed on the driveway
Banking on breakdown cover - L'escargot
banks never give anything away!

Barclays gives away ballpoint pens. There are pen dispensers on the customer's side of the partition and you can take as many pens as your conscience or your nerve allows.
Banking on breakdown cover - stackman
My Lloyds TSB account gives me full AA membership.

Owning a 6 year old Renault Laguna this benefit has more than paid for the account charge levied. So far this year I have been recovered 4 times, saving hundreds of pounds.

I understand that the AA and similar organisations ask for higher premiums from customers who have a lot of breakdowns. Does anyone know if 4 calls in a year is likely to elicit a letter from them ?

Edited by stackman on 18/08/2008 at 11:34

Banking on breakdown cover - Bill Payer
Does anyone know if 4 calls in a year is likely to elicit a letter from them ?

If it does then you can set your bank on to them! I'm guessing the AA wouldn't want to risk damaging their deal with the bank.
Banking on breakdown cover - Marc
I know the RAC has a "fair use" clause - not sure how many callouts that is per annum though.
Banking on breakdown cover - movilogo
When I read my RAC booklet, it said 5 call outs per year for basic policy.