Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - oilrag
Reflecting on the limits of wipers in the recent torrential downpours. We still have strips of rubber being wiped back and forth, in essence the same as 70 years ago, although the power source has been improved.

I have been a biker twice and in the 1965 period had a `Turbo visor` , this was like a curved dinner plate, transparent plastic with vanes around the circumference- mounted vertically in a visor like way, in front of an open `Jet` helmet and flying goggles. (It spun at great speed)
I have never experienced better vision in a downpour at speed.
The only detriment being howls of derision from teenage peers (Not in use it hinged up onto the top of the helmet looking like -well nothing on, or from, Earth)
The bearings wore after a while too and there was a droning vibration that resonated though the bone of the skull)

Never seen one since and it was regular clip down visors of course on full face helmets, next time around in 1980.

About cars though, surprised that there hasn`t been an alternative to wipers, at least at speed. I mean something such as airflow, compressed air curtain, bonnet aerodynamics?

Must admit, this post came to mind after a certain well known brand of wiper blades only lasted 12 months again. I`m sure they lasted 18 months + 40 years ago, or is that just another golden age false memory ;)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 12/08/2008 at 16:10

Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Optimist
Vague memory from TV that trawlers and military ships have a rotating vaned circle in the middle of the captain's screen to keep a clear area in whatever weather.

Brave the car designer who fits it first!

Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Old Navy
Optimist, you are thinking of a "Kent clear view screen". see ebay item 200245421110.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - L'escargot
Graham Hill tried it once in an F1 car ~ but I think it was only once!
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Alby Back
I read often on here that wiper blades appear to have limited life on some cars. Have to say that is not my experience. I regularly get three years and well over 100k miles from a set.

Only things I can put it down to are the following. When washing the car I always take care to lift the blades and sponge them down with the same shampoo / warm water I use to wash the car. I keep the windscreen clean with a midweek wipe over with a damp chamois. Also, I never, ever, start the wipers moving without giving the windscreen a scoosh from the water bottle even though mine automatically begin to move when you do that. I always, summer and winter, keep a good concentration of screenwash additive in the bottle. In addition, when driving in constant rain I give the windscreen a squirt of the washers every 15 minutes or so. I think this keeps them grit free and lubricated ( lubrication and its vagaries being a subject I know is close to your heart ! )

The thing which does puzzle me in a pleasant way is that I have found that OE blades from a dealership are often cheaper than those from a major accessories retailer.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - welshlad
i tried that coating stuff thats meant to make water run off the windscreen, its a nightmare to put on properly and if you happen to miss a bit you end up with vertical puddles on your windscreen that just annoy you.
For a piece of additional trivia re aerodynamics. I recall from many years ago that if you held a steady 40mph in my Triumph Spitfire with the roof down ( well, mine didn't actually have a roof, it had rotted away ) not only did you not get wet but the screen stayed dry.

The same effect was true of my Westfield but at a speed which I am not prepared to discuss in public.

;-)
Cheers Humph, on our two Punto`s the Champion wipers on the 1.9D are fine after 2 years.

I won`t name the other well known brand on my Punto, but actually I do the same as you
the fluids and so on and its the other one that gets the abuse!

Mine is generally sat facing South all day, baking in the sun on the drive while the other is out and about, then reverses down the drive facing North. Don`t suppose it could be that?

Hadn't thought of the orientation of the sun before.....but, my cars generally get parked facing a wall and the fronts of them are in constant shadow. The rear blades do seem less durable and do indeed get more sun. You might be on to something there.

Are we really talking about wiper blades again, doesn't seem long since the last time?! Oh heck !
"Are we really talking about wiper blades again, doesn't seem long since the last time?! Oh heck !"

Oi, Humph! We were talking Turbo visors till you brought it up ;););)
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Nsar
Wasn't the Spirit of Ecstasy supposed to be good at deflecting rain? or was at a myth?
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - mike hannon
Couple of friends of mine had Turbovisors back in that era - they did seem to work.
Problem was, you didn't have to mind being laughed at. But then, they were both scooter riders...
Cars like the old Austin A40 Somerset from the early 1950s sometimes carried what looked like a V-windscreen in miniature on the front of the bonnet where the mascot would normally be. It was reckoned to keep flies off the real windscreen.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Clanger
Cars like the old Austin A40 Somerset from the early 1950s sometimes carried what looked
like a V-windscreen in miniature on the front of the bonnet where the mascot would
normally be. It was reckoned to keep flies off the real windscreen.

Dad had one on his Zephyr MkI convertible. He thought it was excellent.

Some of you of codgers may remember the "Eyelashers" IIRC a propeller-like rotor with plastic wipers you stuck on the front of your round headlamps. The wind was supposed to blow the rotors and leave a wiped circular area through which your sealed-beam headlamps could shine more brightly.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - drbe
Wasn't the Spirit of Ecstasy supposed to be ..... a myth?

The Spirit of Ecstasy is an unmarried lady, so she is a myth.

It's all right, I was going anyway.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Ben 10
Any of you bikers see Dragon's Den last night. The guy with the visor wiper. Comments on the idea please.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Fullchat
Didn't see it, tell us more. It wasn't a piece of plastic on the back of a glove was it?
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Ben10
I saw it. It was a motorised band of rubber that moved from top to bottom and back again. Cleaned the visor of water. He was selling the idea as a helmet, but I think the idea would be better sold to the helmet manufacturers as an add on.
Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - Ian (Cape Town)
Wasn't the Spirit of Ecstasy supposed to be good at deflecting rain?

Half right - was actually found to create air vortexes which kept snow off the windscreen.

Water removal from windscreens/turbo visors - MVP
I believe using windscreen wipers on a frosty screen is the kiss of death.

MVP