Transferring Personalised plates process? - Man without a plan
Hi folks,

I am selling my old car on ebay as we speak and need to transfer my personalised plates off it before I sell it.

Has anyone done this as I have a question....

If I go down to the DVLA today and get the transfer onto retention sorted, will I get a new V5C immediately or will they have to send me one in the post?

If so, how will that affect me selling the car (auction finishes Saturday morning so buyer may want to collect Sunday).

Cheers
Right guys, done some more digging....

On the form to transfer my numberplate it says

"I also understand that if I dispose of the vehicle before I receive the replacement V5C Registration Certificate, the new keeper may claim entitlement to the number and the retention may be refused or cancelled"

Could I get around this by getting the new buyer to sign a disclaimer stating that they are buying the car and not the number plate?

Only problem then is that until the new V5C comes through I would be liable for any speeding fines etc?!?

Can't believe it... people have bid the car up to £420 with a weeks MOT left on it... it must only be worth £600 with a full MOT and now i'll have to cancel the auction losing my listing fee...

Then i'll have to relist in a few weeks without any MOT at all paying another £12 to list, probably not get as much for it and the buyer will have to collect on a transporter because it now has no MOT which limits my buyers massively

Gutted!!!
Transferring Personalised plates process? - jbif
people have bid the car up to £420 with a weeks MOT left on

Could be that they are including the value of the numberplate in the price!

Nope, no mention of the plate was made and all pics had it blanked out...
Transferring Personalised plates process? - maltrap
Can,t you edit your E BAY ad' to say "personalised plate not included"
As far as the people on the auction are concerned, there never was a personalised plate...

The problem arrises because the auction finishes on Saturday morning, MOT runs out next Thursday so they will want to collect before then, but if I sell the car before I have the new V5C form back from the DVLA, the new owner could cancel the transfer and claim that they own the plate....

Very unlikely, but not worth the risk...

Edited by Man without a plan on 15/07/2008 at 13:18

Transferring Personalised plates process? - andyfr
I think the last time I did this I got the tax disk with the original reg number on it when I handed in the form at the DVLA office. I then put the original plates on the car and had to wait a few weeks before the V5 came back with the original number.

You could go ahead with the deal but it's risky as you mentioned because of speeding and parking fines. Until you get the V5 back and then sign it over to the new owner you are still the registered keeper.

I wouldn't risk it myself.
Andyfr