Brown trouser time. - CQ
Driving into work this morning on the M40 coming upto J3A M42 split, heard a rumbling noise from my LS430. looked in the rear view mirror and saw grey smoke trailing behind, pulled up on the hard shoulder with the back end twitching to find rear offside tyre in three pieces, ie two melted bits on either side of the wheel and this smouldering band of rubber hanging around the wheel. proceded to change the wheel thinking one of those nice pretend policemen in their jeep was bound to pass, did they? no way. It certainly focuses the mind on a Monday morning changing a wheel on the offside of the car when wagons are passing within a few feet.
Brown trouser time. - skorpio
good job you had a spare and not one of those cans of inflateable gunk.
Brown trouser time. - CQ
I fail to see how manufacturers get away with that con.

Would that be an air-con then ? - PU

Edited by Pugugly on 03/09/2008 at 21:42

Brown trouser time. - boxsterboy
I agree. A can of gunk (or a run-flat) would be a deal-breaker to me.
Brown trouser time. - drivewell
Glad you got it changed safely, CQ.

Did the rim survive?
Brown trouser time. - CQ
amazingly no damage, the tread part of the tyre covered the rims.
Brown trouser time. - Sulphur Man
Why a run-flat? They're better (and much safer) than spare-wheel changing.
Brown trouser time. - Niallster
Friend of mine died in the A3 Tolworth underpass changing a tyre on the nearside.

Need to take great care when doing this.
Brown trouser time. - Bill Payer
I saw 2 guys working on a truck tyre on the M6 the other day - they were having to stand partly into lane 1 on a gentle r/h bend.
The drivers of approaching nose to tail trucks couldn't see them until the last moment and were having to veer around them - utter madness.
Brown trouser time. - gmac
I fail to see how manufacturers get away with that con.

Anything bigger than a 225 tyre these days tends to be directional so where are you going to put two spare tyres (one for each side of the car) ?
A space saver won't be any good due to the increasing weight of the cars. I can't see a 105 space saver being able to support half a tonne of car.
Car manufacturers are left with these run flats as the only real option as many people like the bling effect of big wheels and don't want a naff steel wheel on their status symbol.
The sensible people out there would buy a steel 16" wheel and fit a suitable tyre to closely match the circumference of those on the car but what if it's 4x4 ? They're not very tolerant of much difference in rolling radius.

Edited by gmac on 03/09/2008 at 21:39

Brown trouser time. - jc2
Had an OSR tyre go on the M25;I sent the wife along to the emergency phone to call the RAC-not because I needed them to change the wheel but because I wanted their van between me and the traffic;before the wife came back,a Police Range Rover turned up and the passenger got out,sent the driver back a hundred yards or so and he sat there with all his blues flashing whilst the other policeman helped me change the wheel.On a separate occasion,I was in a coach that broke down on the M11-the driver told us all to go to the top of the embankment.You could see why-lorries were coming along with their NS wheels on the shoulder even tho' it was a very large white coach.
Brown trouser time. - tr7v8
Both this Jag & the previous one have had full size alloys the same type as the main four wheels. Standard is space saver these are options.
I will NOT change an OS tyre on the motorway, years ago I worked for the AA & we used to loose a scary number of patrols a year & they were protected by a BFO Yella van with flashing beacons on.
The stats for fatals on the motorway used to be 10% of the are people stationary on the hard shoulder.
Brown trouser time. - Lud
It's a very good idea to completely shred the punctured tyre if necessary until you can get the nearside wheels up or down on the grass beyond the hard shoulder. Give yourself a bit of elbow room. Let the approaching dogs see the hedgehog sort of thing.

What a pain, get-you-home slim spares and gunk bottles.... rigid-sidewalled runflats almost sound preferable.
Brown trouser time. - gordonbennet
Agreed Lud, seen countless people risking life and limb precariously close to the inside lane, with a cars width of grass and grit to the left of the vehicle.

Similarly though, how often have we negotiated a usually small car broken down on the road with a massive expanse of grass to the left, but no ''i'm broken down therefore every other soul using this stretch of road is going to be inconvenienced'' , completely missing the obvious that their car and they may well get cleaned up by someone not paying full attention passing by.

Most unusual those tyre fitters on the M6 in the post above, the highways agency lads would go bonkers at them, they always close the inside lane if a truck has an offside flat on a normal width hard shoulder, the HA lads and girls get some criticism mostly unjustified IMO, the ones i've met have been decent and sensible.
Brown trouser time. - frazerjp
I thought it was normal practise in the event of a HGV ns puncture that the tyre fitters have to arrange the Police/HA to arrange a temp lane closure whilst the repair is taking place?