I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - oilrag
Guess why I gave it up? Was doing well on an L plate in around 1974. OK another fish was already being fried and I was studying to be a Social worker.. But out of interest and liking a `second string to the bow` I thought I would have a go.

I remember the truck and the safety checks, water out of the air brakes and so on. Had no real problems driving, only once putting the trailer wheels a few inched onto the kerb the first time out ;)

Reversing, I was good at that and they were pleased. Less so when negotiating an uphill turning standing start at a turning right junction " You will snap a half shaft" again first time out on the road.

Then there was the day another instructor came and noticed several wheel nuts missing off the wheels. Some tutting and off we went.

Anyway to the point. After a while I was doing well, so I was told, but I gave it up. A problem. Guess what? not Cash, health or ability to actually drive the truck. Sure, I was pressed for time because I was studying. But this was Saturday mornings. Bet even GB can`t get the reason.

Regards
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - nick
You didn't think you'd look good with a lorry driver's belly?
Didn't suit grubby string vests?
I could have written a better title, such as "We tried and failed as articulated truck drivers"

Mods ?

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 12:07

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Robin Reliant
You developed an allergic reaction to Yorkie Bars?
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - gordonbennet
Having all sorts of peculiar thoughts here, thats not unusual mind.

As a you were a diy mechanic as well as driving older cars/vans you would easily have made the transition onto trucks of that era, as you would have the 'feel' necessary, and with that off the wall sense of humour, you would definately have the correct attitiude (far too many of the newer ones take themselves far too seriously)

So, i'm ruling out any capability issues, as well as the others mentioned eg finance.

I'm inclined along the way of it being something completely unconnected.

You give a clue of Saturday mornings, was the training interfering with your social life, were you missing 'thunderbirds', did the fair Lady Oily tell you quite correctly to forget this idea and get a proper worthwhile job which you did.
SWMBO suggests the college teaching you SW may not have wished a hairy bottomed trucker to be a SW.

Were you offended when the first thing the instructor taught you was how to lech out of the cab window, not that i would know about such things (swmbo is still lurking).:))

I had to put the trailer wheels on a path during my test, because of very bad parking, but as i told the examiner what was going to happen before i got to the actaul manouevre, he didn't bat an eylid, mind you he sat in stony silence most of the way, which worried me, but after the test he was as nice as pie (ex wartime spitfire pilot strangely enough).

Bet we're miles off with the reasons..:)

edit....why didn't you go for a 10 day intensive course at the time?

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/06/2008 at 13:11

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - welshlad
you gave up because trucks dont have rear view mirrors and you had no where to hang your 'lucky' pink fluffy dice
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Number_Cruncher
you were interrupted by industrial action?

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - zookeeper
you were addicted to TISWAS?
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - jc2
The artic I took my test in certainly had a centre mirror and a window in the back of the cab and, with a float on the back ,you were expected to use it as well as the ones on the side.
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - mss1tw
Allergic to diesel, or fry ups.

Or became vegetarian?
The artic I took my test in certainly had a centre mirror and a window
in the back of the cab and with a float on the back you were
expected to use it as well as the ones on the side.

fair point but ive never driven one with a RVM i feel kinda cheated now
Ten day intensive course??Our's was two pupils Monday to Thursday-test on Friday and,yes,I passed but this was back in the days when HGV tests were being introduced and existing drivers had been issued with licences on the proviso that they would be tested at some point in the future.Well,on the day I took my test,one of these existing drivers had just taken his test and failed-I saw a grown man cry! Our firm only needed us to have III & IV but the driving school only had Class I vehicles.
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - tyro
Well, if I were playing Sherlock Holmes, I'd say the basic clue is in the following words

>>not Cash, health or ability to actually drive the truck.

i.e. you "failed" (your own word) because while you could drive the truck, there was something else that you could not do - some other ability that you lacked.

Er, that's about as far as my detective skills go.
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Screwloose

You must have been around 22; so, given that truck-driving only appealed to straight guys back then, two long legs and a mini-skirt must have been involved somewhere?
Quote GB
"I'm inclined along the way of it being something completely unconnected."

tyro,
"something else that you could not do - some other ability that you lacked."

Both Correct.

It was a fear of heights. I`ve never been comfortable even working on the shed roof for example. I was driving a mini van at the time about 2 feet from the road.

I was transfixed by the height in the cab and nothing of the bodywork being visible through the screen. Handling the truck was going fine, but my heart was racing and palms sweating due to being high up.

Really, I needed just to be in the cab until that response habituated, ideally as a passenger for a while.
The Saturday morning was a clue too, as once a week for an hour was never going to get over this.
At the time I was studying Psychology, Sociology, Social policy, Law and Social work, so no way to do the ten day intensive..

But fear of heights, the reaction, ever heard of that to fail as a truck driver?

Screwloose
"two long legs and a mini-skirt must have been involved somewhere?"

That was the Mini Van ;)

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 16:03

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Sofa Spud
I was an HGV driver for a while in the mid 70's. I don't remember any fear of being high up on the cab but being on top of a load while stacking it would possibly be a bit dodgy if you have a fear of heights. I wonder if drivers ever get a bit scared before their first drive in a Renault Magnum after driving other types. Volvo F88's and the Scania 111's of the 70's had quite high cabs (I didn't drive either of those) but the nearest thing to the Magnum then was the small number of Atkinsons that were fitted with a very high cab called the 'Viewline'

However one thing that I did find a bit scary was seeing a long downward hill ahead and remembering all those warnings I'd heard about brake-fade or even brake failure!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/06/2008 at 16:16

Whatever I was learning on, It felt like being in a cab sited at the height of the top deck of a bus. Subjective of course, but if anyone with truck driving experience could imagine that.. its how it felt to me.

Well OR, i'd never had got that one.

I suffer from the height thing a little too, but never would have thought that the driving position could be so bad.

Should imagine it's been a blessing really, as you've had a worthwhile career instead.
Don't tell us you've any regrets, the only thing i can really think of is that there would have been times you could have taken a bit of agency work over the years when needing some extra cash, mind you don't suppose there's been any shortage of 'customers' for your trade, could imagine a few of us could do with help.:)

SS, long downhills, ah thats when you were glad you had a proper truck made in Britain, with a decent set of drum brakes and a good retarder like a Jacob brake, and a big engine to make the most from it.
Some of those imported trucks just couldn't stop; anyway long downhills were for the use of Irish overdrive gear..:)
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Lud
I'd never have guessed it either. I am completely wimpish about heights, but only really care about heights under 10 feet if my perch is precarious and there's nothing stable and non-jagged to land on.

When young I used to have 'falling dreams' which opened with me sitting on the roof of a double-decker bus descending a twisting hill at ever-increasing speed. I used to wake up just as the bus started to roll definitively onto its side at the third or fourth successive bend. Sounds completely ridiculous but I used to wake up in a muck sweat.
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - tyro
Fear of heights. Well, well.

I know the feeling. I remember when I was a 19 year old some of us were doing an outdoor course, and it involved abseiling over a small cliff - drop of about 30 or so feet. I had several goes, but each time, when it came to going over the top, I just couldn't do it. My mind told me it was perfectly safe, but . . . .

Hugely embarrassing, especially as none of the young ladies seemed to have any difficulty.

Edited by tyro on 21/06/2008 at 17:05

"Should imagine it's been a blessing really, as you've had a worthwhile career instead."

I consider anything that brings home the bacon is a worthwhile career GB.

I think there is a similarity with your career and my previous. That is its not obvious how complex and risky it can be to self and public without lengthy explanations.. even then sometimes little insight until actually confronted with the reality.

I had two death threats, beaten up (Once a punch in the neck) twice. No Clients died, or killed anyone else during my 30 year career.
Of course the lay perception of Social Work is `Do gooders` (its now form filling, but that`s another story)

In no way is that more `worthwhile` than risking your life and trying to protect members of the public while driving an HGV on dangerous roads over decades, supplying the nations needs. Again, I suspect lay perception is that its `just a big vehicle` with no perception of the skills or dynamics involved.

Personally I would never accord more `respect` to even a Multi-Degree holder or Professor when contrasted with the chaps ( for example) who empty our bins.

That`s throughout my old Profession, in days gone by you would not get in with any hint of elitism.
Hence the van too as an extension of personality..Perhaps ;)
"chaps ( for example) who empty our bins."

Really of course, that`s a dreadful value judgement in itself, to use as an example. But you get my meaning.
You seem to be right oilrag but I feel the concept of 'elitism' often causes confusion, and is often used quite wrongly as an insult or pejorative. In a highly evolved discipline an elitist outlook is correct and necessary, and its absence will lead to a decline into mediocrity.

The essence of what you say is that a person's native abilities or degree of training have no direct or easily measurable bearing on their absolute value as human beings, and it is therefore incorrect to treat professors with fawning respect merely because they are professors and dustmen with scorn merely because they are dustmen. With that, I couldn't agree more.
Nothing wrong with using the bin lads as an example OR, i'm quite sure any of those chaps, or girls on here would know there was is no reflection on anyone or there job from you.

I too believe anyone who works for a living (or who has done their bit and is now having a well deserved rest) is contribiting to our so called civilised society, and is equally important, regardless of there job or social standing.
I again do not include politicians and celebrities.

Can't all be chiefs calling the shots, some of us have to do the work involved, and they often are far more pleasant people, and more use than some of the superior beings that sometimes have been better at playing the political advancement game than those who didn't climb the ladders.

I have a best mate who packed in the transporters to go on the bins, a marvellous and very complicated chap, one of the quickest minds i've ever known, and unbelievably attractive to the ladies, unlike me; you'd like him no end, there's probably a book lurking in deciphering his mind.

Lud, Hence `Luxo-scrote.`

;)
`Luxo-scrote.`
;)

Er... never heard of one of those but if I grasp the idea correctly I may have met one or two in my time... Takes all sorts though.
i too have a fear of hieghts but unlike yourself it never affected me driving a truck i think it had something to do with being inside the cab and there being no danger of falling off while driving.

i somewhat got over my fear having joined the Royal Engineers and having to spend hours on end hanging from bridges by rather tatty looking canvas straps which our training instructors told us 'were totally safe' or being the one ordered to walk out on an I beam whilst building a non equipment bridge, because i had been daft enough to put my hand up when asked who had a fear of hieghts thinking it was so they knew who not to send up to the high places (thus learning why you should never volunteer information that may be used against you)

but back to the point in question i have seen other drivers fail because of irrational fears (most all phobias are irrational) for instance the fear of being in control of something large on the road, the strangest thing is that most of the people i knew were in fact amongst the best drivers it was just their fear that kept them back.

i have to admit though if you show me a ladder and expect me to climb it i will still run away screaming and crying like a 6yr old girl given the chance

Edited by welshlad on 21/06/2008 at 19:17

Initially, I also had a fear of speaking in Court. Got past that by writing just about every Social Inquiry report that came in for 6 months.

I should have gone back later and persisted with HGV training , at least to pass the test.

To GB and other HGV drivers,

Any other stories of drivers trying or failing to become HGV drivers? Must be some scary tales to tell;)

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 19:27

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - pda
I too have a fear of heights and many years ago I was the last one to load tomatoes on a flat trailer in Southampton Dock one evening just as dusk was falling. I got the forkie to put me on top of the load to roll out the sheets but didn't realise that he wanted to go home, and off he went. I was parked at the edge of the water and happened to look down and completely froze.

I crawled to the front and tried to get a leg over ( I have very short legs, I might add) and get a foothold on the headboard of the trailer, and my heart sunk as I remembered I had our only trailer without a headboard.
I wasn't into abseiling and didn't have a rope and it was getting darker.
I was resigned to spending the night up there when I saw a Security Guard walking by over the way. I eventually made myself heard and he was amazed to see me up ther.
He fetched a forklift and managed to get me down.
To this day I still hate heights and was asked to judge the 'Cab of the Year' contest last year at Truckfest.
I knew I would have to get in a Renault Magnum and dreaded it all day.
It was as bad as I imagined and I shook from head to toe!

Pat
I found it bad enough being in the Cab Pat. ;)
It must have been quite a height looking from the trailer top, down to water level..

This it Pat?

tinyurl.com/5aco2n

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 20:27

you would have loved my old truck 3 1/2meters from ground to top of the cab (say 3.4m for head hieght when sat in the seat)

tinyurl.com/68bvpr
Might have been better! It was the sheer drop out of the front screen that used to get to me.
;)

On reflection.. maybe not, it looks high `shudder` ;)

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 21:31

Any other stories of drivers trying or failing to become HGV drivers? Must be some
scary tales to tell;)

One very recent occurence, this year.
A friend who has been helping out a chap whilst he tried to find a regular driver for an artic doing 4 to 7 drops round a big city, good pay, short hours; would do me a treat about 5 years down the line, ah well.
Finding a competent driver is no mean feat these days...

Anyway new chap is taken out by my friend to show him the job, within a few miles it becomes apparent this new fellow has no idea at all of whats involved with driving a truck, he doesn't get the idea of changing down into low range, as speed decreases whilst climbing steep hill for example, so just slips the clutch instead.
Anyway, the run continues, worrying for my mate as when this chap overtakes another truck on motorway, he starts to pull over as soon as the cab is by, no spacial awareness whatsoever.

Approach roundabout, and he doesn't attempt to stop as that would mean changing down, so straight onto occupied roundabout at 20 or mph (that transporter chap i refused to train did exactly the same..terrifying)

Get into city, and realises not only can he not reverse the truck, he also can't go forwards either, several times my friend has to fetch him out of drivers seat and take over for safety, despite this, the new chap takes down 2 sets of railings, one with the rear of trailer, second with the front overhang of trailer.
At 2 occasions other drivers got out of their vehicles and suggested to my friend to get the chap out of the cab and send him away (insert your own translations here).
He also was disgruntled at having to work so hard on his own.
Eventually they return and when asked by boss, tells him not to use this fellow (this bit brings back memories for me, and his terminoligy was word for word mine).

My friend isn't listened to, so new chap goes out on his own 2 days later, during the run he burns the clutch out on truck.
Another tractor is brought out to him, he gets 6 miles down the road with this one, and burns the clutch out on that.
The supplier of the trucks attempts to give him another truck, and then when they witness the attempts to couple up, realise why the clutches are going, so refuse to allow him any more vehicles.

Cue phone call to my friend, who has to take another tractor to collect the trailer and this chap.
When he gets there, he opens the back of the trailer, and gets covered in ruined product, as the chap had left the pallett truck under a ton of product and still pumped up, so damaged internals to trailer as well as thousands in ruined product and 2 burned out clutches, despite the fact he hadn't delivered the goods either.

I havent finished yet, when they get back, this new chap tells the speechless boss that he doesn't want the job as its too hard!!!!
This is gospel as told by my friend.
Whats really worrying is that unless this chap had a forged licence, some examiner had deemed him fit to be in charge of a truck, the mind boggles, as he was a mature chap too.

I'm got some more of my own if you can stand them..:)

Really enjoyed that GB and it would be great if you could tell us more.. Surely a forged licence?

See you later ;)
Well, no one would call that guy a luxo-scrote.

Remarkably tolerant employer though, verging on the half-witted. Reminds me of modern publishers who buy texts in English by illiterate foreigners without reading them and then expect a copy editor to put them in English for cleaner's wages.

Edited by Lud on 21/06/2008 at 22:43

Remarkably tolerant employer though verging on the half-witted.

My friends views entirely Lud.
But you'd be shocked at how many hgv'ers will not go into certain large cities, sounds ludicrous i know, and i've made loads of lolly because of being soft hearted over the years and doing their multi drop London work for them, especially when on the clock, with all the enjoyment involved.

I will have to do some changing of things slightly on one or two other stories if i relate them Oily, as it may cause someone to be recognised, the transporter game is quite close knit (or nit maybe)..:)
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - bathtub tom
I suffer from a sort of fear of heights.

I can feel very queasy when looking over the top of a building from behind a safety rail, or an open flight of stairs if there's a big opening.

It didn't stop me from standing on a small step over a landing wheel of a high winged monoplane, hanging onto a wing strut, at two thousand feet, with the stall warning going, waiting for the instructor to tell me to let go!

I did have a 'chute on which had a tethered release to the 'plane, and full instructions on what to do if the main chute didn't open!!!!!!!!!!
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Screwloose
full instructions on what to do if the main chute didn't open!!!!!!!!!!

Is that what's called "jumping to conclusions?"
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - zookeeper
every time i see a "height restriction" sign on a low bridge it will remind me it doesnt just apply to lorries
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Clanger
1976, 5 years into a career as a computer programmer, decided I needed a "trade" in case these computer thingies stopped selling. Bill Gates I'm not! Went to Tockwith airfield near York and had a trial with a Bedford artic and a coach. Managed to handle the artic OK, did some reversing without hitting cones, played with the gears a lot, not always in the right direction, found it very uncomfortable, couldn't get on with the air brakes, did a lot of stopping in clouds of smoke and jacknifed the trailer once. Next, a drive in an ancient Bedford Duple coach with hydraulic brakes. Bliss after the truck. Decided to do my PSV. Was later to be found taking the early morning shift to work at a Leeds clothes factory and taking the local darts team around Yorkshire in the early hours. PSV driving loses its charm when you're mopping up vomit at 2:30am and need to be up again at 6 to run the girls to work. I did eventually learn to manage the air brakes on the Seddon Atkinson coach but much preferred the electric retarder on the steering column.
"some changing of things slightly on one or two other stories if i relate them Oily, as it may cause someone to be recognised"

Why not GB ;) I`m all for a good tale, doesn`t matter if its locations and so on are altered.

;)

Edited by oilrag on 22/06/2008 at 11:38

">> `Luxo-scrote."

Can under certain circumstances appertain to`Luxo-barge` (fine on their own as a machine) but when driven by white collar+ to gong level guy who sneers at `lower class`, street crime, while perpetrating the same or worse at his level and considering it no problem. Hence Luxo-scrote`
Nothing to do with `Luxo-barge` otherwise, which is fine unless driven by a badge polisher and *concrete driveway gloater.

Never seen in a truck (eyes swivel to the City and Westminster)

* Allegedly, Piaget..
;)
">> `Luxo-scrote."

* Allegedly Piaget..

Well, i've had most of the day to ponder on this OR, and i admit defeat, i am not worthy, i am nothing, i am not fit to polish your boots.
Mainly i don't have the foggiest idea what any of this means, despite trying in vain to understand Jean Piaget.

You mentioned at some point being a little unsure of court appearences, i think you have this all wrong, the magistrates and judges must have been terrified of you appearing for the defence, as the poor dears must have tried in vain to understand your testimony, and i can see them nodding sagely in agreement with you, and hoping they were yessing and noing at the appropriate times, whilst being in the same boat as me.

Don't change whatever you do, its great fun trying to keep up>>:)

Best wishes from the intellectually challenged GB

Piaget has got me puzzled too.

A late friend of mine, a saintly Rastafarian, appearing in Marylebone Magistrates' Court in the mid-sixties after being pulled for obstruction by a PITA plod for talking quietly on a corner in Portobello Road, was fined a quid or two. He then stated very quietly and clearly from the dock that he was 'temporarily financially embarrassed.' Everyone in court understood him except the magistrate, who asked testily: 'What's he saying? What's he saying?'

'Wants time to pay sir.'

'Seven days. Next.'

Of course one of his many worried friends paid up immediately.
There was a smiley i think GB ;);) Anyway, any chance of another truck story of someone trying?

See, who says I can`t write on topic..;)

(switching to keep checking mode...actually never out of it)
I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - Alby Back
Piaget ? Perleman's Mum has a nice one for sale if you're interested. ;-)
Dear me....;) A double take on concrete lads,..concrete drive and concrete thinking.... y`no...gloating... ;)

Edited by oilrag on 22/06/2008 at 18:25

Stories of dodgy drivers from my past, some of them make me seem almost ok and thats saying something.
A good friend and i agree that sometimes companies need to employ the occasional dodgy chap, it helps to keep their feet on the ground, and to appreciate the many decent people they are lucky to have. Loyalty being a two way street.
That applies in almost every industry imo.

I've worked with some great chaps and girls over the years, some real characters in this game, and some miserable blighters too.
I refer to 'Peter', i first worked with him on a large company before i got on the cars, pete was one of those miserable souls whom if you paid him a grand a week to lie in bed, he'd still find something to complain about.
Pete had more minor prangs and silly damage than anyone i've known, he would take a truck to the same place every day and every day he would reverse the loaded truck over the same kerb and rip the mudflaps off, he lost the thing one night on a switchback bridge, and stoved the truck in.
He drove the thing over a very thin manhole, never meant for trucks and the thing gave way, it landed on the tank, splitting it and 100 galls of diesel went west.
When his truck was off the road again damage, they rented him a brand new truck, which he promptly stuffed into a tree, total write off. There were many more incidents.
We had a wag at work who could have been a cartoonist, some of the pictures of pete and the captions would have you in stiches (a bridge too far being one of the most memorable).
Anyway we get made redundant from that job, and we both start on the transporters, at the very bottom, a real fly by night operation.
Pete gets an artic with a peak deck, if you've ever seen one, it overhangs the top of the truck cab, but obviously is part of the trailer, so goes out some 15 ft when you turn, these do really take some getting used to.
Anyway pete, is flying around moaning about everything in the world, and on a fairly tight roundabout, he takes a lampost down with the peak, no big deal, it happens.
So pete thinks he can clear off and get away with it, now was this at 4 am and no one for miles, no this was at 9 am in a town and he drives off, sparks and flashes to boot.
Some little while later some blue flashes appear, but these are not shorting wires, these are disgruntled plods, nick nick.
TBH he had so many occurences that i've forgotten more than i can remember, but we ended up on a supermarket job as well at one point and the poor blighter was still the same there.

On the supermarket job, i ran into 'Simon', hadn't seen him in nearly 20 years, older than me, retired now but still as hopeless then as ever, despite being a driver all his life.
The 3 memorable ones of simons on the supermarket were,
Si pulls out too tight from between two trailers, bang, knocks the trailer beside him off its landing legs and onto its knees.
Si pulls out too tight again from between two trailers, bang, rips the back end off the trailer he's pulling out, and i mean completely off.
Si enters our double lane rdc entrance and, bang, hits the back of the vehicle beside him with the very short overhang of the front of his own trailer, narrowly missing a security guard.
He also managed to take the fridge unit off another trailer but the dteails of that are gone.

On the transporters, i am running with 'harry' now H is a lovely feller, but hopeless, one of the many damages he does, i am following him round a large city ring road, bang, boot comes up on car reversed on, hits bridge, and totals that and severely damages many more in the process.
He did so much damage, that being only one instance of many more, they made him an offer, and thats as far as that one goes.

There were many lads on the transporters who just couldn't get the hang of it, nothing against them or their capabilities, its a strange job and imo you can either do it or not, there are no half measures.
One of the many lads trained but not completed training was a very nice chap who i met again at the supermaket job, actually another chap had trained him, and during the training, the trainer took his eyes off the chap for 2 minutes, during those 2 mins 'crunchie' as he is now known lowered the decks onto a car and kept going, amazing how low you can get the roof line on a ford, and how far up into the wings the wheels will go..:)

Another chap whom i shared a truck with, day/night calls me one afternoon, 'hey GB good news we're getting a new truck', oh that nice says i, whens that, 'when they've picked up the 11 cars i've spread down the road, had a slight rollover'.

Wouldn't have missed any of it for the world.

Got cramp and time for a cuppa now..:)
You could be the source of a film GB ;) Really enjoyed that. I`m going to speed up and stay in the outer lane from now on....

Wonder if its the same on the trains where b308 works?

Thanks GB ;) If any more come to mind.... anyone else?

You can Imagine what I would have been like. Worse than that and freezing with fear due to the height of the cab......

Edited by oilrag on 22/06/2008 at 19:28

Trains, now thats got to be a source of great tales.

We need some light hearted relief in these days of doom and gloom and politicians.

You'd have been fine on our game OR, don't suppose any of us would have had a clue what you were on about half the time, but then most of us are bonkers anyway, and there's usually 3 or more completely separate conversations going on at any time...rings a bell with the BR then..:)

Just thinking more about truck driving and hills. GB, you mentioned the `Jacob`s brake`, what is this and has anyone ever heard of a truck having to use one of those gravel traps?

Around here, there is such as you drop down off the North York moors on the Filingdales to Whitby route.
Must have been quite something in the olden days to plunge into one of those, wheels smoking? Are they still needed?
"Trains, now thats got to be a source of great tales."

Yep, where is B308? wonder if he could drum up some entertainment and stay within forum rules? Surely there are road, train, car, truck and so on interactions? Driver fear and so on..

Edited by oilrag on 22/06/2008 at 19:53

"Filingdales" Sorry, just too much `filing` in my past...Fylingdales.
Just thinking more about truck driving and hills. GB you mentioned the `Jacob`s brake`

Ah the good old Jake Brake. Rare as hens teeth in Britain, i had one on a seddon Atki in the 80's with IMO one of the best truck engines ever, the 14 litre cummins big cam series, totally reliable with immense torque, very quiet and economical, no computers, and quite fast with the correct gearing so they tell me.;)
Very seldom had to use the footbrake in normal driving, but had to be careful in the wet, as the Jacob brake was capable of locking the drive wheels, they had a progressive switch for lightly loaded use, so you could turn some cylinders off, and stop on 2 instead of 4 and so on.

If you google Jacob Brake, you'll get a far better explanation than i could ever hope to provide, but basically it was a system where the Jacob's fitting caused the exhaust valves to be operated independantly during overrun, when the engine would become a very effective compressor. Infinately better retarding effect than the usual exhaust brake as fitted to most foreign vehicles, which though sounds as if its doing some good, the actual retarding effect is negligible, especially on the usually quite small engines involved.
Some foreign makers have now come up with much better retarders (volvo very much so), don't know exactly what sort they are though.

As with engine outputs the engine brake is better with a bigger engine imo, as you'd expect a 14 litre will have far more torque than a 10 litre, even though the 10 may on paper have a higher power output, in practice on the road the 14 is infinately more uselful, whereas the 10 has to be kept at its peak torque revs to be any good at all.
The engine braking characteristics are similar to the power outputs, at least thats been my non engineering experience of using the things. ie bigger is better.

Terrible explanation, have a google..;)

"google" Sorry GB should have thought of that...found it.

tinyurl.com/nqgkg

One of the things that I can remember is how the truck would start to gather speed on a very slight down incline. An incline that would not give a moments thought in a car.

Don`t know if that was my fault with the gears, that particular truck or if its the same with them all. No hope in remembering what it was after all these years.

(only had a handful of on road lessons)

Edited by oilrag on 22/06/2008 at 21:04

I was an L Artic driver briefly.What went wrong? - pda
It's the weight of the load behind you pushing you on.
Unless of course it was a Scania that have always run pretty well downhill empty allowing at least 75MPH in these days of speed limiters being fixed at 56MPH!!
Some good tales there GB, wasn't there another type of retarder that worked on the propshaft too?

Pat
TELMA-worked like an electric motor being driven as a generator-far superior to the Jacobs exhaust brake(Jake Brake).