Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - oilrag
Haven`t seen much change around the City ring roads in driving habits. Cars surging past on full turbo boost, then braking heavily at the next roundabout.

Made me wonder, where`s the evidence of concern for saving money? Everyone was really flooring it on the ring road this AM. (As always) You could almost hear the pedals being thwacked to the floor as they surged alongside turbo`s hissing, braking, surging and then dropping back at times due to lack of anticipation.

Made me wonder, as belts are tightened in coming months, will this on and off pedal to the metal thwacking continue while ever the car is on the road.
Sort of, "can only afford £10 worth of fuel love, no food in the fridge" then off up the road, in the old 4w Road-Tractor or fading Luxo-scrote.... thump-thwack-pedal-clack-surge-brake-lurch... 12mpg
Put simply, at what point will smooth economical driving start? Or is it either not understood or ignored by a `want it all-now society?

Will some people choose to just not take the car out instead or will they be seen at the roadside gasping in indignation and blaming something else, such as the car, for having run out of fuel?

;)

Even made myself yawn there, was it worth bothering?

Edited by oilrag on 20/06/2008 at 19:57

Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - L'escargot
Sort of "can only afford £10 worth of fuel love no food in the fridge"

A large proportion of people are overweight and could do with losing a few pounds. Perhaps increasing fuel prices will be the incentive I need to eat less so that I can afford petrol. :-D
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - PhilW
"was it worth bothering?"
Course it was oily, strangely enough, listening to Five Live on way back from work, there was an item saying that RAC patrol men had noticed a recent change in driving habits. Firstly that "it's like the school holidays" - much less traffic on the roads (can't say I've noticed myself)
Secondly, there are far more people on the inside lanes of motorways doing 50 to 60 mph (which made me think that yes, that might be true and it's a pain because trucks on the limiter have to overtake these bimblers and it causes more congestion).
Anyone else observed what RAC patrols have? Doesn't seem too obvious to me.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - mss1tw
I've noticed no difference to the usual 'point and squirt must get to the next queue before the others' sheep mentality while cycling to work.

Not to say it's all like that but I notice the familiar sound of a forced induction diesel doing its thing and getting closer, faster, as I steam along at a heady 16mph more so than the normal drivers!
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - gordonbennet
I almost thought there could be the North/South divide there, but unless Oilrag is going his circuitous route via Wimbledon, Streatham, Hackney and Penge again to avoid the extortionate toll at dartford, i assume the City roads referred to are up't North...:)
(no offence Oily one..:) )
Round the S bend goes yet another of my theories.

Why i had thought that is on my normal daily routes, Midlands, Wales, Worcs and Herefs etc, i have noticed a lowering of speeds, and acceleration times that make my old truck look quick, which it aint.
But when on the M40, cars absolutely hurtle by as if we're back to 4shillings and 8pence a gallon again, whereas i had thought speeds had lowered somewhat on M6.

Could it be i wonder that M40 because of its situation, is hosting more company cars than the other routes, with the assumption that the company provided vehicle is having its fuel paid for by the company.

Are there as many company cars as before, i know the tax implications have changed the once easy decision of plump for company car whenever possible.

Does the average non BR driver realise the difference anticipatory (strewth) driving makes to their fuel, do they care anyway?

I've thought for some months now that traffic volumes are well down.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - El Hacko
>>to avoid the extortionate toll at dartford<<
eh? £1's hardly robbery, Oilrag
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - b308
Why i had thought that is on my normal daily routes Midlands Wales Worcs and
Herefs etc i have noticed a lowering of speeds and acceleration times that make my
old truck look quick which it aint.
But when on the M40 cars absolutely hurtle by as if we're back to 4shillings
and 8pence a gallon again whereas i had thought speeds had lowered somewhat on M6.
Could it be i wonder that M40 because of its situation is hosting more company
cars than the other routes with the assumption that the company provided vehicle is having
its fuel paid for by the company.

Would agree, GB, I live in Worcs/West Mids and would back up what you say - I also wonder if its the Company Car/Footballers that are still shooting along... though some of them could be our MPs or MEPs as well! ;)
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - drbe
Haven`t seen much change around the City ring roads >>
>>

To which city are you referring, Your Oiliness?

Edited by drbe on 20/06/2008 at 21:49

Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - doctorchris
This week I have done return journeys from Sunderland to Leeds then Carlisle and was aware of much less traffic than I expected.
In addition, speed limits seem to be adhered to more carefully than before and fewer cars seem to be cruising on motorways/dual carriageways at 80 mph+.
I suspect the cars still cruising at higher speeds have drivers whose company pays for the fuel.
On the A69 I came up behind a convoy of 3 Walkers Crisps HGVs with large signs on the back explaining how the law makes them travel at 40mph on single carriageways, all travelling strictly at 40mph. There's a company being strict on illegal driving. Give the drivers their due, they had spaced themselves out so that their trucks were easier to overtake one by one. In addition, you knew that they would not accelerate above 40 as you tried to overtake on a downhill stretch so their speed did not cause resentment.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - madf
If I still had an all expenses paid company car, I would not change my driving style just because fuel trebled in price. The company pays!

Such attitudes persist in many people..

In another couple of months the subject of fuel prices will all be forgotten, just like it has been in the past.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - Brian Tryzers
My regular route - M40-M25-M4 - seems much the same as ever, traffic- and speed-wise. The company car point may be part of the reason; more broadly, I suspect it's that if you work in the business-dense area around Heathrow and live to the northwest of there, there's not much alternative to driving to work. It does make working at home more appealing than ever, though - I spent Friday fettling my spreadsheets in the back garden.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - tyro
>>Haven`t seen much change around the City ring roads in driving habits. Cars surging past on full turbo boost, then braking heavily at the next roundabout.

>>Made me wonder, where`s the evidence of concern for saving money?

Not just the city ring roads. It's up here in the most rural parts of the Highlands. A few weeks ago I was driving along a NSL road about about 50 mph or so, doing my bit to save fuel (& therefore, by the law of supply and demand, to do my bit to put downward pressure on fuel prices), when a Land Cruiser Amazon roared past me. He must have made a stop in the next village we went through, for a few minutes later he roared past me again.

I thought to myself "He's clearly not interested in saving fuel."
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - Alby Back
Back in the days when I worked for a company which provided me with a new car every two years and funded my business expenses. ( Oh happy days ! ). They had an arrangement whereby you claimed back a set rate per mile as fuel expenses. This of course positively encouraged a lightness of right foot. Some other companies simply reimbursed the value of fuel receipts less any private mileage which actually had the opposite effect as there was no incentive to be frugal. Any fleet which wants to cut its fuel bill would do well to adopt a version of the first arrangement.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - oilrag
To answer questions.

1) South of Leeds, in the `Rhubarb Triangle`

2) The £1 on Dartford.. If only :) cos its a van, even a though small Punto its extra, while the Straight 6 Bavarian luxo- gets through for only £1...

I never did go straight through London. Last time was on a Bike at midnight returning from Germany in 1980. But have recently gone around the M25 the other way to avoid the injustice..

;)

Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - jc2
Not noticed a reduction in speed but certainly noticed a reduction in the amount of traffic.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - gordonbennet
But have recently gone around the M25 the other way
to avoid the injustice..

I do things like that too, strange thing our sense of fair play, usually its a case of cutting the nose off to spite the face, but sometimes you just have to do it.

I blame my Dad, its that Cheshire stubborn streak, no complaints though and its passed on to my brood as well :)

Don't let on but i've known to nip through the Blackwall to avoid the con too.

The M6 toll is getting a bit steep as well, we only use it when there are delays on the B'ham section, £9 for a truck one way, which probably isn't that bad in proportion, as a car is i think a third of that and weighs about a 20th.

By the way, i still use the old type trafficmaster YQ unit, and its amazing how often the overhead gantry signs warn of M6 delays at B'ham when there are blatantly none, but it never happens the other way...coincidence? Cynic..moi?
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - pd
Isn't the Dartford toll shortly to go up to £1.50 for cars?
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - RichieW
A month ago I was doing a steady 60 mph on a long journey that I'd planned long in advance and I didn't have to rush for. Now I am habituated to the the new fuel prices so it's no longer the case on long journeys. I'm no longer bothered or in shock.

I was driving home from a nice run out in the country today telling myself to enjoy it. I was thinking back to the "old" days when fags cost less than three quid a packet and petrol was a lot less than 80p a litre. I can vaguely remember it being 60p a litre but I reckon my dad was paying for fuel then. I didn't own my own car then thats for sure. I'm 32, passed at 17 but didn't get my own car till 23. I haven't smoked for seven years now.

I'm sure prices will get a lot worse so I'm sodding the expense and enjoying it while it lasts. We could still look back at this now as halcyon days. Fuel prices always look cheap/cheaper in retrospect. My girlfriend and I have got the week off so we're off for another hundred mile trip tomorrow. Enjoy the freedom to drive.

P.s. I'm on the lookout for a three litre Capri before its too late!!!!
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - none
Phil W. Yep, I've noticed it as well. Started about a couple of months in darkest Hampshire. Like the patrolman I thought that skool holidays might be something to do with it, but then it dawned on me that the the lack of traffic seemed to be a bit more permanent. I mentioned it to a couple of chaps at work and they too had noticed, but hadn't given it much thought, apart from the fact that commuting back and forth to work was faster.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - mike hannon
Anybody who thinks 'who cares, the company is paying' is misguided.
When companies pay, eventually we all pay.
Cars still being flogged to death, no saving then? - Ian (Cape Town)
See it every day. Despite huge increases in the petrol price here - we have another 7.5% coming next week, in the govt's monthly increase - there are still muppets who think that the posted speed limit is actually a recommendation.
My morning commute - 5am out the door - sees me on dual carriage way all the way to town. 9 sets of lights in ~20kms.
With some intelligent driving, and sticking at max 50mph (Astra 1.8 auto... 2000 rpm in top gear, the most fuel efficient cruising speed, I've found), I can get through seven, eight or nine of them without stopping.
Invariably the clowns who comes bowling past me at 120 end up being passed by me at the lights anyway, and arrive in town with, at best, a 100m lead. And at that time of the day, what the hell is an extra 30 seconds in the car?

I've tried curbing my speed and acceleration but it's so boring. I've got to have some excitement in the few years that I've statistically got left!