2002 1.9HDI water loss from expansion bottle - alanmrrtt
seem to be losing water from expansion bottle after filling, after driving 10 miles water light comes on.Bought new bottle but problem persists, when going fast or on moterway light goes off then comes back on when slowing down, cannot see any leaks anywhere.Would be obliged if you have any answer to my problem.

Alan Marriott

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/06/2008 at 19:50

2002 1.9HDI water loss from expansion bottle - adverse camber
I'd be worried about head gasket failure.

But I'd start with letting the engine run at a standstill and look for bubbles in the tank, leaks from hoses or the radiator. etc

And is it a 1.9D or a 2.0HDi?
2002 1.9HDI water loss from expansion bottle - thomp1983
have you checked it's physically losing water? on older peugeots the low level warning sensors were unreliable and woul flash on and off randomly.

chris
2002 1.9HDI water loss from expansion bottle - Martin1981
How much water is it losing? If it is losing water via the expansion tank filler cap under pressurisation then this is likely to be a failed head gasket. Two simple steps in helping to determine a failed head gasket:-

1. Run engine for a few minutes with expansion tank cap off and see if bubbles appear in the coolant within a short space of time.

2. Remove the expansion tank cap off after the car has been standing still overnight- if there is pressure in the system when cold this is another sign of HGF.

Replacement of a failed head gasket is not usually cheap, on the old 1.9TD XUD engine, replacement was usually anywhere between £500 and £800, not sure about the HDI engine.

Martin