Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - GroovyMucker
Discussion the other day following a tale in which two of the local young ungodly, out on a spree, took and burned out three cars, took and abandoned a fourth, and tried to get away with three more - all in the space of between midnight and 7 am (where do they get the energy?).

Point 1: these dears are perhaps doing a service by tidying up old bangers.

Point 2 (more seriously): now that your classic TWOC (attacking the ignition cowling) is more difficult, what with immobilisers etc, the same darlings are now - sometimes - burgling to steal car keys, often by use of sticks through letter boxes.

Anyone find they're doing anything else?
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - gordonbennet

A days work?
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - MikeTorque

Several years hard labour in HMP.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - doctorchris
Deer Groovey Mucka, I'm a 15 yeer old chav, stuck in the senter of Sunlund. Cant get home but have fund a mark 2 Astra.
Can youse let me no how to get inta it an hot wire it an stuf cos at my age I aint got no xperience of these motors.
Luv Darren.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Optimist
Darren

I can't speak for Groovey Mucka but I'm very disappointed in you. Why can't you get inta the car? Where's your knife, for a start? Surely you haven't left it stuck in someone, have you? Come, come! Careless!

I can see, though, from what you say and the elegance of your expression, that you have some potential. Clearly you are bored and need some public funding. It would help if you were a member of some minority. No? Never mind. We must build on what we have.

This will take time and, in the interim, I suppose it is just possible that you could go home on the bus?
Na optimist, me ma an da telt me aboot nives cos a mista broon in lundun telt them to tell me so I carry a shoota now. Mista broon telt them to tell us aboot alcyhol as well so I divent use that stuf just skunk n crak cos theyse must be safa.
Divvent gan on the boose, too many dodgey old gadgees on them.
Darren
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - bathtub tom
OK. I'll put away the whiskey bottle and re-read that in the morning.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - madf
I thought drunken posters using pidgin English and textspeak were banned?
:-)
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Pugugly
!
By the way - the reality is that cars are still being stolen, by other means (as discussed in another thread) and by these thieving little gits stealing cars owned by the poor.
>>Na optimist, me ma an da telt me aboot nives cos a mista broon in lundun telt them to tell me so I carry a shoota now. Mista broon telt them to tell us aboot alcyhol as well so I divent use that stuf just skunk n crak cos theyse must be safa.
Divvent gan on the boose, too many dodgey old gadgees on them.
Darren >>

Darren

So nice of you to get in touch. I have passed on to Mr Brown your parents' thanks for his advice on alcyhol. He has asked me to tell you that it is right that they are concerned. As to carrying your shoota he would wish to caution you against this because, since you are 15, a caution is all you'll get if it's found on you.

I am delighted to hear that you "use" skunk and crak. When I was your age I was interested in zoology and geology myself.

Mr Brown has asked me to thank you for your witty slogan "divvent gan on the boose". He has passed it on to Alan Johnson with a view to making it the centre-piece of the new NHS campaign for safer drinking.

He has listened and learned from your concern about the gadgees, a group which he feels may not have always been considered.

He has asked me to ask you to say hello to Ant and Dec when next you are having a small glass of Newquay Brown with them.

Away the lads.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Westpig
the keys are increasingly needed nowadays to get past immobilisers etc

golf clubs, swimming pools, tennis clubs etc , mean they can screw the locker for your keys. See if you can leave the keys with the front desk or something.

Burglaries simply for the car keys are now a common practice in affluent areas. Simple measures can be taken to comabt this e.g.

- put car in a garage instead of having garage full or carp (so when they drive around
doing a recce they don't see it or can't easily get to it in the middle of the night).

- don't leave keys in readily accessible area i.e. near front door or in view through
kitchen window

- make sure the back of the house is as secure as the front

- draw the curtains at night (many people leave them open, very easy for crook to A,
see what you've got, B, see whether you're up and about)

- Tracker is quite successful IF you want the car back

Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Galad
Women drivers are increasingly being targeted while stopped at traffic lights. My daughter was saved by the automatic locking on her new Corsa D which locks all doors when the car moves off. Two thugs tried to get in, one on each door and scared the living daylights out of her. Others haven't been so lucky.
Sound advice Westpig, and Galad's daughters experience tells us yet again that the boys in blue need to be dePC'd if you'll pardon the pun and allowed to sort out those types the way they once would have done.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Ian (Cape Town)
Women drivers are increasingly being targeted while stopped at traffic lights. ..Others haven't been so lucky.

See earlier thread with reagrds why I don't stop at traffic lights late at night and/or in dodgy areas at any time!
Darren is, of course, a totally fictitious character but he is based upon my experience of certain North Eastern lads that I have come across in my time. They have no moral compass to guide them as a result of having parents with no such moral compass and mates who are the same.
Sadly, they do not like to travel far before they commit their crimes, so the older and less theft-proof cars of their neighbours are often their target. The same applies to break-ins to obtain goods that are then exchanged for money to pay for drugs.
50-100 years ago he would be employed as a labourer, with a modest income but, more importantly, would have his day filled with his work and would be too tired at the end of the day to get up to mischief.
I offer no solutions. However, the increasing divide between poor and well-off, in motoring terms between the guy with the shiney SUV and the lad who has no wheels of his own, needs to be addressed.
between the guy with the shiney SUV and the lad who has no wheels of
his own needs to be addressed.

I enjoyed your alter ego Doc.

There is a way of closing the discrepancy between the two extremes, its called a hard days work.

You, me and millions of others have been doing it all of our adult and sometimes before lives.

Some discipline and knowing where the boundaries are helps a great deal, but many previously delinquent youngsters have pulled themselves up and grafted their way to full and decent lives.

National service, anyone?
I see that Gordon Broon is looking for cannon-fodder for Afghanistan/Iraq, so maybe a quick sweep of the crumbling housing estates, and a quick tour of Catterick would work wonders.
However, there is the problem that offering the delinquents training and access to firearms and sharp cutting implements may well backfire when he takes his new found skills back to the neighbourhood...
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - L'escargot
I offer no solutions.

I can offer a solution ~ zero tolerance on all misdemeanours. At the moment people do without thinking so many things (things which in my younger days would have been seen as misdemeanours ) that in the eyes of the perps the line between right and wrong is no longer the same.
My point about Darren is that, these days, even the apparently most basic job needs some intelllectual input or a qualification. Darren cannot make the grade here whereas his labouring forefathers could just do the labouring. Hence he is side-lined and becomes a burden on us all.
I'm not a "bleeding-heart liberal" but we do have a problem in our society with these guys.
>>apparently most basic job needs
some intelllectual input or a qualification. Darren cannot make the grade here whereas his labouring
forefathers could just do the labouring.

Darren, should he ask me nicely, can get of his buttocks, come weed my garden, wash my car, mow the lawn, wash the windows, sweep the path etc etc etc for a few bob. Maybe I'll even have the heart to show him how to do it to a certain standard - 'mentoring'is the current phrase, I believe?
In fact, a scheme I support locally has chaps who wash cars, and they do very well nicely after they have gone through a course on car-washing, run by a local charity, and turn up at folks' houses and around supermarket carparks with buckets, sponges, chamois, polishes, shampoos etc etc etc.
The service is also supported by the local papers, who issue an ID card of sorts to those who have done the one-day course.
These chaps do ok... and I know of many whose cheerful attitude and general ability gets them offers of permanent employment in other jobs elsewhere ...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/06/2008 at 21:39

You are dead right, Ian.

When old doc chris says: >> My point about Darren is that, these days, even the apparently most basic job needs some intelllectual input >> he's totally lost the plot.

If the little example of pond-life can hot wire a car, he's bright enough for many jobs in our society. He just doesn't want to do them. Probably just like his parents and grandparents.

Give me strength.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - MikeTorque
Put on a second immobiliser either mechanical or circuit isolator and keep the enabler/disabler separate from your main car/entry key.

A tracker device not only allows the vehicle to be located but also a greater chance of the thief being caught, and we love um in the air force as they provide us with mobile targets should the need arise to intercept, lovely.
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - retgwte
Dr Chris

It's a bit more complex than that

pennywell comp (for instance) is so crap nobody can ever escape the circle of poor education, no role models, stuck in social housing, have kids and repeat

In the "old" days the role models were pit deputies, and site foreman, and lots of the population in such areas would be hard working decent folk

And the adult males would very often intervene to stop the local tearaways with force as needed, and teach some respect the only way young adult males often know - of course now stamped down on as minimum force intervention against the thugs often ends up with the good guys in court

Now if you were a teacher offered the same money as middleclass school, why oh why would you ever choose to work in pennywell comp? Exactly very few decent teachers do

And the teenagers see there is no realistic chance of a decent job given their address and crap no hope school, they can see the only way to "advance" themselves is to have kids and get social housing, and repeat the whole circle

Any decent kids trying hard will inevitably leave the area, even fewer role models

And so it goes on

The only way to break the circle is to radically ramp up the quality of the schools, promised as motherhood and apple-pie by all politicians, but when it comes to whats really going on in the classroom im afraid its dire out there

The history of how the slum estates were cleared, replaced by council houses, nowadays often "housing associations" (just to get the public debt off the govt balance sheets) etc is a long history of social manipulation by do gooders, mostly its failed big time, and the only thing left is the ordinary decent folk trying to do their best when the system is stacked against them

You wonder why they nick cars? Go and sit in a class in their school for a day

The lack of military options is also an issue, in t'old days, well since Wellington's new Army anyway, the "scum of the earth" made this country the most powerful in the world. Recently the military have become far more picky, as I told one little scumbag who was an aspiring fusilier - these days you're expected to spell bullet as well as firing one.
I really agree about the deterioration of the education system but will not add any comments about this as I know little about teaching.
I have often heard teachers complain that everyone thinks they could teach and also know how hard a job it is. I don't think I would last 5 minutes in a classroom at Pennywell Comp.
the thing to remember is the kids in pennywell are not born stupid

in the not so long off days, a few of them would escape to a grammer school, and get into uni, a few of them escaped and did very well, this route is pretty much stopped now

and the route into the senior technical trades is not as clear cut as it once was, the pit deputy exams really were hard, i know i read them a few times, and they made science A levels look like a walk in the park, but the local role models were passing these exams after lots of hard work, there are few similar routes to status and decent job around now

and of course the social manipualtion goes on

would be a lot cheaper to sort out pennywell comp than it is to deal with the consequences on the streets, and the same goes up and down the land

and the kids who want to better themselves really do need to be given choices other than having kids of their own to get on the social housing ladder

Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - hxj

Is it fair to have a 'no name and shame' policy that only applies to those who you are scared of suing you?
pennywell comp stats are public domain and very much back up this stuff, in fact they are a whole lot worse than anything said here

etc

its hardly naming and shaming when the entire city knows in detail how crap some of the schools are
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - hxj

That's not the point I was making - for instance:

tinyurl.com/5v95zw

gives a different view of the work and effort being but into the school, just wondering why you don't quote that?

Presumably it doesn't work to the agenda?
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Westpig
Presumably it doesn't work to the agenda?

hxj,

Having learnt over the years to read into reports and work out what the mealy mouth pleasantries really mean, i'd suggest that although there are undoubted pluses mentioned, there are also a considerable number of negatives.

e.g. -"did not quite meet its' targets"....so they weren't reached then.
- "almost eliminating unsatisfatory teaching"... so there are still teachers there
teaching to an unsatisfactory standard
Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - Martin Devon
My point about Darren is that these days even the apparently most basic job needs
some intelllectual input or a qualification. Darren cannot make the grade here whereas his labouring
forefathers could just do the labouring. Hence he is side-lined and becomes a burden on
us all.
I'm not a "bleeding-heart liberal" but we do have a problem in our society with
these guys.

Yes we surely do. Where shall I start?

Carp Parenting.
Carp Teachers.
Carp Television.
Carp Food.
Carp rules.
etc etc etc.

How on earth can anyone attend school for 11 years between the ages of 5 - 16 and then leave, without being able to speak properly or to say please or thank you or to know the basics of living with other people. It is outrageous.

I have yet another Labrador puppy. Guess what when it crosses the line.......Education and gentle persuasion that's what. Should that fail then have another guess....It IS NOT Rocket science.

Between the Bleeding heart liberals, social workers (whatever they are) and plod restrained by PC rules etc. the do gooders have completely done for us.

Beat them senseless..why not? cos that's what they do to innocent folk. As with the old rugby adage.............Get your retaliation in first!!

A young retired Policeman said to me last week that things have to change pdq as their job was impossible to do. He said that as these savages for example, creating havoc outside pubs and clubs etc. and literally attacking ambulances that it would seem quite reasonable to shoot one of them. Perhaps next week they would be fewer. I concur, but to appease the bleeding hearts then perhaps we could spray them with something unpleasant and so it goes on.

Moving (slightly) forward I was unsurprised last week when the Met' (I think) were given metal detecting wands etc. regarding knife crime and the Children's Minister (Whatever that is) stated that we do not want to alienate the young any further. What planet is that snipfrom then.

Oh! and one last thing (for now). STOP paying people NOT to work.

Grrrrrrrrrr MD

Edited by Webmaster on 10/06/2008 at 01:36

Agree with all of your post MD.

We saw an item on the news (which we usually don't watch because of bias of the same) where a fireman was recovering from a smashed elbow, suffered at the hands of brainless thugs attacking the firefighteers whilst they were doing their jobs.

We are both of the opinion that its time to send out a couple of experienced squaddies with each emergency call.

If they cannot defend the firefighters, and others doing their jobs by other means...bang bang...end of problem...gets my vote.

It'll come to this in the end, why should innocent hard working people suffer constantly, whilst those who decide how the country is run, live in protected properties with no knowledge of whats happening.

I'll just pop out and hug a hoodie.
I'll just pop out and hug a hoodie.

Hug him tightly though, just above the shoulders and just below the chin!

MD
Sadly they do not like to travel far before they commit their crimes so the
older and less theft-proof cars of their neighbours are often their target.

The Devil finds work for idle hands to do.

MD
ive got first hand experience

i dont need to quote anything

high truancy rates, poor exams, large numbers of pregnant kids at the school, etc etc says it all a lot better than anything else

the fact that ofsted and the government dont move in immediately and DO SOMETHING shows how little they are worth

Now that it's harder to hot-wire ... - L'escargot
Just in case I ever lose or break my car keys, exactly how does one hot-wire a car? ;-D