You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - skorpio
So there I am walking back to work at lunch time when I round the corner and there coming towards me was this old boy driving a Gold Rover 75!!
He stops diagonally across the pavement totally blocking everyone. He slowly gets out, walks round to the rear door to let some even older wobbly lady out and help her hobble to the bank (he'd stopped right outside it and probably would have driven into it had the dorrway been wide enough!). So I said quite loudly "that's right mate, keep death of the roads, drive on the pavement!".
He retorts with something along the lines that the old dear he's helping can hardly walk and that one day I'd be old too. My reply was "If I get to live that long with idiots like you around!"
Obviously her dash to the bank was of far more importance that him potentially mowing down a pedestrian or a small child running round the corner.

I was so angry and I don't care how old or infirm someone is, no-one has the right to drive onto the pavement causing the mayhem he did. It must have contravened loads of highway code rules and a few road traffic acts but was there a copper or a warden around to see it? Was there hell.

phew rant over.
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - FotheringtonThomas
It's possible that he was allowed to park on the pavement. However, it's likely that he wasn't - that he just competently parked illegally!
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - skorpio
Believe me FT, if you'd seen the speed he mounted the pavement and how he came to a halt, there was nothing competent about it.
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - L'escargot
Believe me FT if you'd seen the speed he mounted the pavement .......

That makes a refreshing change. Mostly youngies complain about how slow us oldies drive.
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - nick1975
Great chat! Should be called an Over 75!

Edited by nick1975 on 05/06/2008 at 19:04

You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - Lounge Lizard
My suggestion would to whip your camera-phone out of your pocket, make a 30 second video, post it on youTube with a title like "OAP's got no respect innit!"
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - bathtub tom
I had a similar senior citizen block a cycle lane as I approached. I rode up the pavement towards the doddery old-uns, ringing my bell and shouting "some prat's blocked the cycle lane". I don't think it did any good (they still do it), but it made me feel better.
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - Kevin
That's one of the things I miss from the US - drive through bank tellers and ATMs.

Kevin...
You could've knocked me down with a Rover! - Ian (Cape Town)
If the bank tellers are as inept as the muppets who work at the local McD's, then maybe this is a blessing in disguise?
"Terribly sorry, Mr Kevin, this is the bank manager - did you really write a cheque for forty seven thousand million pounds at the drive-thru bank?"