98 3.0TD Oil cooler & new fan for caravan towing? - Irishrebel
For about two years now I've been towing a large caravan (2-axle 1241 kg) with my 99 Audi A4 2.5TDi, with no real problems. Changed to a lovely 98 E-Class estate auto with a 3000TD engine, very well kept.
Now I've been given some advice that Mercedes Auto trans. cars need to have an oil cooler for the gearbox fitted and an upgraded fan, maybe even a new radiator, in order to tow large caravans. I really thought such a heavy and torque-enriched car would do OK.
WhatTowCar.com matches my model (well, nearest model I could find with all the right specs. input) as 5 stars with my caravan, and lists no problems for me.
Does anyone agree I need to do these expensive upgrades?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/05/2008 at 19:44

98 3.0TD Oil cooler & new fan for caravan towing? - Irishrebel
In reply to my own message, in case anyone wishes to know for themselves in future:

Basically, the agreed opinion from everyone else I asked is that it's not necessary. Older versions of the auto gearboxes may need to be checked, but from about 96 or 97 onwards, even with the aircon radiator fitted, all had oil cooler coils fitted into the main radiator, and this should cope with most situations. Only if I was to tow my large caravan over the Alps on a hot summer's day would I need to be concerned, and even then, just turning on the heating could be enough to keep things cool.