95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - bigal2964
I have a Peugeot 106 with the 1.5 diesel engine, has anyone experience on running this on either biodiesel or mixing cooking oil with pump diesel?
On another site, which I can't now remember the name of, it recommended not running veg oil with the Lucas pump, but changing it for a Bosch one. However looking at some of the previous threads on diesel pumps, changing them round can be quite tricky.
Any advice gratefully received.
95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - bigtamb
Ive been running my 2000plate 106 diesel on straight vegstable oil for the last two months with no problems and mines a lucas pump because i buy new oil at the cash n carry its clean and wont damage your pump you can also mix it with diesel you will need an in line fuel heater (e-bay) if you want to use it in the winter months.
95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
Given the very low fuel consumption of a 106D (my partner's manages 65 mpg in town repeatedly) it's foolhardy to do this.

Due to its relatively high density and viscosity coupled with a high waxing temperature (don't store veg oil in the fridge) and poor lubricity, straight veg oil is not an ideal fuel for diesel engines whose fuel system has been optimised for mineral diesel.

The Bosch VE pump operates with lower loadings on the camplate and roller followers than does the Lucas DPA and its derivatives so it will survive for a bit longer - but accelerated pump wear is an almost certain consequence of using this fuel. The Lucas pump will almost certainly leak - as they are prone to do at the best of times.

If you can't afford EN590 fuel to run a 106D, buy a bike - you may well be neglecting other aspects of running this vehicle.

95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - Uncle Stoatwarbler

It's not the cleanliness of the oil that's the issue with lucas pumps. They use Diesel as a lubricant and cut off the flow used for that entirely on overrun (engine braking).

Coupled with veg's higher viscosity the result is usually high levels of internl wear and a dead pump within 1-2000 miles.

95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - dogwood

I have used Pure vegetable oil in a 205 for years. New oil, not recycled.

Mixing 20% petrol thins it to a viscosity similar to diesel. Use more in winter, less in summer. The lubricity is still good. Just feel it.

All problems are caused by algal growth in this biological product. Tank filter, main paper filter and sometimes, in adifferent vehicle, a mesh filter in a banjo on the fuel pump can all be blocked by the Algae.

I would be interest to know how you are getting on.

95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - Peter.N.

Practically everyone I have heard of going down this route has had problems with the pump seals, if you look at how much you have saved and compare it with what it will cost you to get your pump overhauled, I don't think there is a contest.

95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - madf

Frankly I agree with 659.

Your car is cheap to run £s.

You want to save peanuts in fuel costs in repair for fillup hassle and possible repair bills of ££s.

Frankly if you go down this route, you will be lucky to save any money at all.. and yiu will spend a lot of time on it..

Life is too short to mess around like that.

95 1.5D Biodiesel in a Peugeot 106 - oilrag

These cooking oil threads seem to go dead in Winter too. I wonder sometimes what`s happened at that point. Whether cars with tanks full of gel are being dumped, or a transition has been made back to regular Derv.

edit

I just noticed it`s a two year old thread too. Wonder what happened?

Edited by oilrag on 21/07/2010 at 21:30