Particulate Filters and EOLYS - Armitage Shanks {p}
I know that PSA diesels have Particulate Filters and use EOLYS fluid as part of the chemical process. I see that BMW diesels also have particulate filters but do they also use EOLYS and, if not, how does the filter work without it, please?
Particulate Filters and EOLYS - craig-pd130
The DPFs on the new Fords are coated with a catalyst of some kind (presumably a precious metal) which lowers the combustion threshold temp, making it easier to ignite the soot deposits. I believe (but don't know for sure) that the ECU gives an aftersquirt of diesel which when conditions are hot enough, will ignite in the DPF canister to start the soot burning.

I think VAG cars with DPF work this way too.

The Eolys additive (Cerium Oxide based) has the same effect as the DPF coating, it lowers the combustion temp by 100 degrees C or thereabouts.

Particulate Filters and EOLYS - adverse camber
but presumably the filter will still block with ash at some point?

What are the service requirements for the ford and vag units?

And does the coating make filter replacement even more expensive?
Fords are vague on the issue of servicing etc, but this link to the Audi site is quite specific on how it works. Presumably the same applies to other VW Group cars with DPF.

www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/tools/glossary/engine_d...l
Some more info here, this is a scan of a SEAT leaflet on DPFs, which describes how the current generation of catalyst-coated DPFs work in both passive and active mode.

xs125.xs.to/xs125/08124/dpfle3124.jpg