Dangerous driving by a taxi - fordprefect
Tonight a taxi overtook me by crossing double white lines at about 50 in a 30 limit; 200 yards further along, approaching a queue at traffic lights in the left lane of the dual carriageway, it took the right-turn-only right lane, then cut across the front of the left lane queue at speed and disappeared up the road.

Now I am all for making progress and I abhor revenue cameras, but this kind of idiocy is really not what one expects or should allow from a licensed hackney carriage.
I couldn't read the taxi number off the side as it shot past, but I did note the registration number; my question is, is it worth reporting this to either the boys in blue or the local council, or is an unsupported allegation a waste of time?

Dangerous driving by a taxi - Tron
Typical Taxi driver then....

Dangerous driving by a taxi - eProf
I expect lots of flack but that style of driving is something that, if the circumstances are right, I will do myself. A dual carrigeway limited to 30 is usually an oxymoron set up for the revenue-camera system rather than any consideration for a suitable driving speed. Cheating on the right-turn-only lane is a bit more tricky but if you correctly assess the lack of reaction time from Mr Doddles at the front of the queue, you're A for Away.

Ducks behind parapet :-)
Dangerous driving by a taxi - jmaccyd
Hmmmmm, whatever the views on speeding, or cutting across lanes, overtaking on solid white lines is just lunacy! (I suppose there revenue raisers as well) Talking as a taxi driver myself, report the matter to your local authority.
Dangerous driving by a taxi - Big Bad Dave
"Cheating on the right-turn-only lane is a bit more tricky but if you correctly assess the lack of reaction time from Mr Doddles at the front of the queue, you're A for Away."

Absolutely, do this all the time. It's common practise where I live, especially on my drive to the airport where there are some wonderful opportunities to "make progress". You even get people who, when approaching a queue of traffic at the lights, will drive on the opposite carriageway and pull up in front of the queue on the Zebra just to get to the front.
Dangerous driving by a taxi - slowdown avenue
saw a taxi today veed into a tree, i reckon you put your life on the line when you get into a taxi, must say since the private hire cars have had a roof sign on top , they seem to have far fewer accidents, bit like l plates you know what to expect of them.
Dangerous driving by a taxi - Leif
That sort of driving is commonplace in Luton and probably dangerous. The problem is that they will catch people out unawares, and an accident will ensue.

Should you report it? Well, I think those in the business and the legal trade can comment. Sounds a bit pointless though.
Dangerous driving by a taxi - Lud
took the right-turn-only right lane then cut across the
front of the left lane queue at speed and disappeared up the road.

Just like the hoods in the black Dodge Charger in 'Bullitt', shortly afterwards to come to grief flying at high speed into a National Grid transformer if I remember correctly.

Speaking as a former South London minicab driver I am more than happy to endorse this behaviour, and feel greatly heartened by the sporting attitudes being shown here.

Dangerous driving by a taxi - Dwight Van Driver
You have two options

Report to Police asap bearing in mind NOIP required for DWL offence/due care etc.
However don't be surprised if no action if you are the only witness as CPS will not run it unless strong evidence.

Report to to LA Taxi Licensing Dept. They may well call him in and reprimand and put on a warning. This is providing it is licensed with them.

I'd go route 2.

dvd
"Speaking as a former South London minicab driver I am more than happy to endorse this behaviour, and feel greatly heartened by the sporting attitudes being shown here.

"

Lets hope any people he hits/collides with, and the passengers he is carrying, are very sporting about ending up in casualty
Dangerous driving by a taxi - kingfisher
Maybe he was rushing some poor soul to hospital.
Dangerous driving by a taxi - helicopter
Maybe he was rushing some poor soul to hospital

Himself??......
Dangerous driving by a taxi - b308
No, one he'd run over when on the wrong side of the road!
Dangerous driving by a taxi - Lud
Lets hope any people he hits/collides with and the passengers he is carrying are very
sporting about ending up in casualty

Sorry jmaccyd, smiley thing didn't really seem necessary but perhaps it was...
"Lets hope any people he hits/collides with and the passengers he is carrying are very
sporting about ending up in casualty"

Sorry jmaccyd, smiley thing didn't really seem necessary but perhaps it was...

Its OK Lud I assumed (hoped) you where half joking. Besdies what are the chances of an open casualty department!!
Dangerous driving by a taxi - paulb {P}
Just like the hoods in the black Dodge Charger in 'Bullitt' shortly afterwards to come
to grief flying at high speed into a National Grid transformer if I remember correctly.

Thought it was a petrol station? Whichever, I recall the Charger's headlining burning very energetically. Not that it did Mr McQueen much good - seem to recall some fairly terminal chassis damage to the 'Stang.

The sort of thing described here doesn't worry me very much - at least the behaviour displayed is rarely aggressive, unlike the guy following me last night who seemed to think that my gentle braking for a major road junction constituted some sort of affront to his masculinity, and then proceeded to behave badly in my vicinity for the next mile or so before getting bored and zooming off.
Gents, I am obliged to all for your comments; I should have explained that the double line crossing was before the dual carriageway section began, and the lights where the 'get ahead' lane change was done were just going amber from red as he cut across - it is a junction where I have seen a number of bumps as the cross traffic is unsighted due to a high wall.
(I'll also admit I wasn't sticking rigidly to the 30 limit myself, as I was overtaking a mimsing bus)

Dangerous driving by a taxi - bathtub tom
>>and the lights ..........were just going amber from red as he cut across

Huh?
>>and the lights ..........were just going amber from red as he cut across
Huh?

Bt tom, I should have said "amber and green from red", OK?