Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Roly93
My wife recently decided to 'help' me out by checking her own car. I think she checked the oil which was fortunately ok and then she went on to top up the (Ford Focus) screen washer, which had stopped working. She then proceeded to mix up some of that Pink Tesco stuff in a large jug, which she then added to the cooling system header tank !

When I asked her why, she said 'the stuff in the header tank was pink so I thought it would be 'okay' !

At this point I thought there was no point asking why she hadn't gone for the little yellow cap with the screen-wash symbol on it !

Anyway, no real harm done, as she had only put in a pint and had not driven the car, so I just drained the header tank and refilled.

I'm just glad she hadn't decided to fill up the engine oil, as I'd once heard that someone had actually done this and filled the whole engine with disastrous results !
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Mapmaker
It's not just women who do stupid things with cars. Men are just as bad.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - hugopogo
and herein lies the reason why i don't partake in much maintenance on my vehicle beyond the quick checks and leaving the rest to a trusted mechanic. I don't trust myself not to do anything stupid. I once left that said same little yellow washing fluid cap on the wheel arch on the inside of the bonnet then drove 150 miles. It was still there next time I had a look. Not particularly harmful but an indicator to how clumsy I can be.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - daveyjp
A colleagues father did the same last week - screenwash in header tank in his wife's car. Taught him to wear his glasses in future.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - mike hannon
What's the big deal? Half the UK seems to be putting petrol where the diesel should go...
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Alby Back
Half the UK seems to be putting petrol where the diesel should go...

I'm puzzled by this apparent trend too Mike. Pumps are colour coded and clearly labelled, just how dozy do you have to be to put the wrong kind of fuel in your car ?
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Manatee
just how dozy do you have to be to put the wrong kind of fuel
in your car ?

Trust me, it's not that difficult - you only have to be dozy/distracted for a short time to do it. It's a brave man who indulges in ridiculing the victims of this error, particularly when many drivers use a petrol and a diesel car or have recently changed from petrol.

And no, pumps are not colour coded and clearly labelled all the time.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - paulb {P}
And no pumps are not colour coded and clearly labelled all the time.

That's a fair point. Some of the BP ones are still a sight too similar in label colour, at least round here - and some of the local herberts believe it to be amusing to mix the nozzles and holsters around (believe me, I nearly wet 'em), so I have to be doubly careful to pick up the right one.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Pugugly {P}
I know someone who put white spirit in a motor bike battery........not mentioning any names follow my eyes.
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - eProf
I used to have a habit of leaving spanners on the radiator bracket of a Mini (a proper Mini). Did that one day and was delighted to find it still there after a few weeks. I'd closed the bonnet in Hertfordshire and opened it again when we had got to New York! How about that for a well-travelled spanner!
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Pugugly {P}
There has to be a story there !
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - Martin Devon
I closed the bonnet of, an Orion I think, onto a socket. 'orrible dent.

MD
Trust me it's not that difficult - you only have to be dozy...................

Maybe it's because I averagely have to spend £150-£200 of my own hard earned cash a week on fuel that keeps my concentration levels high. Have to say I find I can think of little else when filling up with the wretched stuff. :-(
Wife Decides on some Maintenance - Humour - bathtub tom
I lost a well-loved pair of pliers, months later they were still sitting there under my mate's bonnet. Shows how often he lifted it!
The first time I lifted the bonnet on my girlfriend's ( now wife ) Astra I discovered a battery lead taped with insulating tape to the handle of a pair of "mole grips" which were in turn clamped on to the battery terminal. When I asked her how long it had been like that she shrugged and admitted that she had never looked under there. Seems stuff like screenwash and oil checks etc were deemed as the sort of thing Dad would do when he was being visited !