(95-99) mk4 1.25si - Strange rattle noise - leegareththomas
Hi ive got a fiesta mk4 1.25 si, i get a very strange rattling/clunking noise from the back of the car but its only there when i am at crawling speed, as soon as i gain some speed the noise stops, it does not make a noise when i am not moving or idle or if i rev the engine when i am not moving and its not there all the time.

I first thought it was the spare wheel holder as i did not have the spare wheel on the car and that made that made a similar noise if i moved it with my hand like it was bouncing on the bracket, so i put the spare wheel back on and the noise stoped for a few days, and this morning it came back? i have checked the spare wheel but that no longer makes a noise now the wheel is on it as it is tight to the car, i have moved the exaused with my hands and that does not make a noise at all. The noise is a metalic noise like if you put a load of keys in a washing machine at low speed! it is quite noisy it gets more noisy as the speed increases then stops after arount 10mph i get quite a few looks from passers by when i am in slow moving traffic it sounds like something is going to fall off! but then on other occaisions there is no noise at all! any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

{As you're new here, I've added the year (approx as you haven't mentioned it) and engine details to the subject header. Something we prefer members to do when composing their question, as per the requests to do so}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2008 at 12:40

(95-99) mk4 1.25si - Strange rattle noise - L'escargot
From your description it sounds as if it's the sort of noise you'd get if there were loose pebbles (or wheelnuts?) in the space between the nave plate (or wheel trim) and the wheel. If that's not the case, then look for a similar situation ~ a space which rotates when the car moves. The thinking behind this theory is that at low speeds the objects would just tumble about, but above a certain speed they would be flung to the outside of the space and not rattle. In fact, in your own words, "like if you put a load of keys in a washing machine"! ;-)
(95-99) mk4 1.25si - Strange rattle noise - L'escargot
Loose parts inside a brake drum?