Petrol level - Richard Ekers
How important is it to keep the amount of petrol in the fuel tank at a reasonably high level, to avoid sludge getting into the system? I normally fill up after the warning light has come on. Is it generally ok to let it get that low?
Re: Petrol level - Nick Ireland
Aircraft fuel tanks are always refuelled after landing to prevent condensation forming in the tank and then sinking to the bottom, as water, and causing problems. I guess the same thing might happen if a car was always run with a low fuel level. If you keep the tank full you are paying to drive a lot of dead weight around! Swings and roundabouts.
Re: Petrol level - Andrew Tarr
On balance I tend to favour a tank between 10% and 60% full, since a full tank of say 50 litres weighs say 40 kilos, equal to about half a person. However don't risk running out, especially with a diesel (unless you trust your gauge implicitly) as the nuisance of re-priming the system isn't worth it. I have never had any problems with water in the tank - some will always creep in, either with the fuel or raindrops, never mind the condensation problem.
Re: Petrol level - steve paterson
Petrol contains an additive that emulsifies small amounts of water, preventing a build up in the tank. it passes harmlessly through the fuel system. (or maybe it's trapped in a filter) You can buy bottles of this stuff at accessory shops. It won't work with large amounts of water, (I've tried) but a couple of drops a tankful shouldn't do any harm and it might help the existing additive.
Re: Petrol level - Guy Lacey
I'm an expert on this, just ask my brother. I regularly run my tank low and ran out of fuel on the A358 half-way home on a boiling hot Bank Holiday Monday.

Forget the fuel system - what about your pride!?!?