(00-06) Maintenance questions - sumits9
Hi all

I wonder if you would be to help me with the following questions:

1. DO I have to reset the car alarm or anything when I replace the car battery?

2. How often does the battery need to be changed?

3. Are there different types of coolants?

4. I have not changed the gearbox and brake fluid for 3 years, is it time to do so?

5. How can I test whether it is the battery or the alternator that needs to be changed?

Many Thanks for your help
Sumit

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2008 at 13:03

(00-06) Maintenance questions - Railroad.
1. No you shouldn't have to. Just make sure that the system is disarmed when you disconnect the battery. Make sure you know your radio code, as you'll have to re-enter it when you connect your new battery for the radio to work.

2. How long is a piece of string? Battery life varies with many things such as the type of journeys you do (long or lots of short trips). Change it when it fails, or perhaps when the engine begins to turn over more sluggish in the morning.

3. In a way yes. What we refer as coolant is a mixture of anti-freeze and water. Different manufacturers recommend different strengths, but 50/50 is usually the strongest. A general rule of thumb is don't mix anti-freeze of different colours, unless the manufacturer assures it's safe to do so. Also change it every three or four years.

4. It's a good idea to change the brake fluid annually, but unless you are competent get a professional to do it for you. Brake fluid absorbs moisture which leads to corrosion and evaporation. From here problems can set in.
It's a good idea to change the gear oil once in a while too. Every three or four years is sufficient unless the car manufacturer recommends otherwise.

5. Use a voltmeter to measure battery voltage. With the engine running charging voltage is ideally between 13.5-14.5 volts. Switch on all electrical loads and the voltage must not drop below 12.2 volts minimum. If it does then the alternator is not coping with the load, and the battery and charging system needs to be checked.......